• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H.R. 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

PracticalTactical

Great to hear they all voted in favor.

I was opposed to the bill, but after a few hours reading up on it, I think it's a good bill.

It seems like most of the opposition is tinfoil hat type stuff at this point.

NMBill

Think It's a Move in the Right Direction

One can argue the fine points of the bill, but I think it is a move in the right direction. It will certainly help me out personally, when traveling. Treating a CCW permit like a driver's license makes some sense. A license to drive in one state is recognized in all 50. One could argue that licensed drivers are more of a safety threat to other states than your average CCW permit holder.

The bill will not have an easy time in the Senate, but keeping fingers crossed. Should it pass there, there is always a chance of a presidential veto, but I would hope that the President is smarter than that (REALLY NOT trying to start up a political discussion here -- LOL).

castiel

As long as no amendments get added to it then I think it would be a good bill. I saw someone tried to add a clause saying you had to notify the other state's police 24 hours in advance of entering their state!

AH.74

I'm rather surprised that it's made it this far. I really cannot see it actually going all the way.

PracticalTactical

A similar bill failed to defeat a filibuster by 2 votes in 2009. That was before some anti gunners got voted out.

Call Udall's office and ask him to help. He was one of the yea votes in 2009, so I think he'll support it again.

TravisNM

As long as no amendments get added to it then I think it would be a good bill. I saw someone tried to add a clause saying you had to notify the other state's police 24 hours in advance of entering their state!

*Proudly dons tin-foil hat*

Still getting to know the DC process but can't amendments like this (or worse) later get stuffed inside of something completely unrelated that everyone wants? Tell me, if this bill is signed into law in the exact form we want it, can it later be changed into something detrimental to gun owners?

mrjam2jab

*Proudly dons tin-foil hat*

Still getting to know the DC process but can't amendments like this (or worse) later get stuffed inside of something completely unrelated that everyone wants? Tell me, if this bill is signed into law in the exact form we want it, can it later be changed into something detrimental to gun owners?

It can be changed after it becomes law....but at ANY time a detrimental law can be brought up...they don't need this in place to do it.