• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you think the public, think how you should react?

Firedawg314

In general, I think that open carry is our RIGHT to have and do through out the country. But what do citizens expect out of us? For example, those of you who are EMT's and EMT-P's. Many people expect you to "act" if someone is injuried, even though you have no equipment. Just the fact you maybe in uniform or even advertising on a shirt, coat, etc that you are a EMT or EMT-P.

Do you ever get the feeling when you open carry that friends and business owners is expecting you to be "free security" if things go wrong?

Marc

Well actually I don't get that feeling, I actually have that told to me. The new owner of the gas station i go to every day said he likes that i have a gun cuz he feels safe when im in the store, and i have had several neighbors say the same thing about me walking around my neighborhood armed. So yeah they expect me to be front line security if something goes down. Plus they expect me to burn off the video from my cameras if something happens to their property overnight. I just accept it as it is. "A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."

peterarthur

I h a KCPD officer say to me once in a quick Trip, "It's good to see civilians taking responsibility for their own security", giving me the impression that he was suggesting that he did NOT expect me to protect the community. But that was just my impression.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Me, my family and those that are with me can expect as much, the rest simply get a good witness.

There is a saying, "when you are a cop, you are always a cop" and I offer a counter version applies, "when you are not a cop, you are never a cop"

IMHO, in general the public reaction is three main categories, those in fear, those who think you are too much of an activist, and those who find it some what compelling.

I do not think in general they view it as increased security, I think that a vast majority are so clueless as to the realities of the world and situational awareness they barely notice and when they do they wonder WHY which sparks the fear. Security does not enter most of their minds ever.

Firedawg314

Well actually I don't get that feeling, I actually have that told to me. The new owner of the gas station i go to every day said he likes that i have a gun cuz he feels safe when im in the store, and i have had several neighbors say the same thing about me walking around my neighborhood armed. So yeah they expect me to be front line security if something goes down. Plus they expect me to burn off the video from my cameras if something happens to their property overnight. I just accept it as it is. "A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."

That's good, some of my neigbors also ccw... I laugh at one (he's a "built" guy) his primary is a Desert Eagle and his back up is a S&M 500! I said cool... just make sure I'm not behind the person you shoot.

Firedawg314

I h a KCPD officer say to me once in a quick Trip, "It's good to see civilians taking responsibility for their own security", giving me the impression that he was suggesting that he did NOT expect me to protect the community. But that was just my impression.

That's good he see it that way. I have been OC in my area for about two days now and most people don't say anything, but lately a ton of people have been approching me as if I was a "superstar", but they ask questions as to how to get a CCW etc. But they look at me (you got balls). Being that I'm black living in an area that is not know for us to be here.

Firedawg314

Me, my family and those that are with me can expect as much, the rest simply get a good witness.

There is a saying, "when you are a cop, you are always a cop" and I offer a counter version applies, "when you are not a cop, you are never a cop"

IMHO, in general the public reaction is three main categories, those in fear, those who think you are too much of an activist, and those who find it some what compelling.

I do not think in general they view it as increased security, I think that a vast majority are so clueless as to the realities of the world and situational awareness they barely notice and when they do they wonder WHY which sparks the fear. Security does not enter most of their minds ever.

That's deep. But true. I guess when they lived in an area like St. Louis City, where OC will get you a few nights in jail... you start to think the world is that way, espeically when you watch movies and see the crazyiness like California and New York. BUt can accpet Texas as a OC state. Its crazy.

Morpheus97

I agree completely.

RPGamingGirl

I don't know what people think when i OC; usually they just give me some extra space. I've never had anyone say a word about it.

However, when we're out, my husband gets a lot of "Are you a cop? Security officer? Then what!?" When he tells them no, just exercising his right to protect his family in public, people are usually shocked that it's legal, and engage him in several more questions about it. They're just so bewildered by the sudden realization that they have rights that they probably don't get far enough to form an opinion about how open carriers should behave in a stressful situation.

When he carried (briefly, before his boss told him it wasn't allowed) to work though, he had a lot of people say that they felt safer with him on the clock (front desk at a resort, night shift). If they stayed long enough to actually talk to him more, he let them know that in no uncertain terms was he willing to protect anyone's property. That's just not a part of his job (or anyone's; cops don't even have to save lives, but that's a whole other topic of discussion).