Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its "Christmas time"... time to leave one in the chamber????

Its "Christmas time"... time to leave one in the chamber????

I have to say, this is the time of the year where the thugs are really out, they know that people are packing tons of cash on them and debit cards are ready to be drained.

With that being said, I "OC" where I can, and then I "CC". My wife has finially accept me "CC"ing. She is still trying to picture me "OC"ing. While we went to a store in the city area, it was bit an "eye opener". Before I got out of the truck, I loaded one in the chamber. I just figure, its easier for me to quickly throw the safety off and "let it loose" if I have to. But, wow, it really hit me hard... that I had to load one in the chamber. Normally, its just the mag is in and it ready when I need it to charge it.

What do you all think, good move or bad? Also, take care out there, there are several crap just going on in our local area.

I always carry with a round in the chamber and safety on.

If I ever have to pull my handgun for self-defense, it will be ready to defend me with a mere flick of the safety.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

My chamber is always loaded. I really don't want to have to think, if the time to use my gun presents itself.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

If there is something unsafe about you having a round in the chamber, there is something wrong with your firearm, your holster, or your training. Just saying...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I have to agree. I always carry with the chamber loaded and a full magazine, you just might not have time to rack the slide.

A Threat may not give you time to chamber so mine is always ready. any conversation I've had with local LEO's is usually "is that thing loaded" yes it is " good cause with out one in the chamber it got about as much worth as a rock and I wouldn't want to scratch it by thowing it" it's a weapon for personal protection like mentioned before if you don't feel 100% comfortable with it "hot" then more trainging may be required. For me personally I've worked law enforcement and i'm use to waking up in the morning grabbing my weapon from the night stand and sticking on my hip. I wouldn't feel right to carry a firearm that wasn't ready when I needed it!! Just my two cents !! Protect yourself !!

OK, as much as I tout my partner as being a great backup, with her Ruger LCR .357, I found out last night that she stopped carrying and didn't tell me. Yikes!

Found out it was 'inconvenient' when swimming and belly dance practice. I said (calmly) 'don't you think you should have clued me in? Do you mean to tell me you've been going out alone with no firearm when crimes are up in the area (including the abduction attempts)?'

So we're going to work on her delivery system for carrying all the time again. I think after a year of rigorous practice and carry people start to become bored. Anyone else have this happen?
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    OK, as much as I tout my partner as being a great backup, with her Ruger LCR .357, I found out last night that she stopped carrying and didn't tell me. Yikes!

Found out it was 'inconvenient' when swimming and belly dance practice. I said (calmly) 'don't you think you should have clued me in? Do you mean to tell me you've been going out alone with no firearm when crimes are up in the area (including the abduction attempts)?'

So we're going to work on her delivery system for carrying all the time again. I think after a year of rigorous practice and carry people start to become bored. Anyone else have this happen?
    My wife went out with friends for a dinner not too long ago, she was wearing a dress and was going to jot carry because there was no way to carry with the dress.

I had to remind her that her CHP allows her to carry in a handbag too ><

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

ha, on that same note I finally got my mother into guns. She lives in an open carry state, but refuses to do it because she feels she needs someone's permission to hold a gun. She spent the $500ish it cost to finally get a permit there and I asked her if she is carrying regularly now. She said no, she just takes it with her to work O_O I'm like, mom...you could have been doing that the whole time... smh.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Condition 1, locked and loaded, everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg314 View Post
    I have to say, this is the time of the year where the thugs are really out, they know that people are packing tons of cash on them and debit cards are ready to be drained.

With that being said, I "OC" where I can, and then I "CC". My wife has finially accept me "CC"ing. She is still trying to picture me "OC"ing. While we went to a store in the city area, it was bit an "eye opener". Before I got out of the truck, I loaded one in the chamber. I just figure, its easier for me to quickly throw the safety off and "let it loose" if I have to. But, wow, it really hit me hard... that I had to load one in the chamber. Normally, its just the mag is in and it ready when I need it to charge it.

What do you all think, good move or bad? Also, take care out there, there are several crap just going on in our local area.

Try carrying around the house with one in the chamber. It will help you get more comfortable with the idea. I remember when I first started carrying a 1911 with the hammer cocked, it is constantly on your mind, now it doesn't even phase me. Best of Luck.
    AUDE VIDE TACE

It's been said,
    "Those who carry with an empty chamber and have had to use it will tell you there's always time to rack the slide, those who didn't have time to rack the slide won't say anything, they're too busy being dead."

Can you assure yourself -
    That you'll never carry anything that will encumber your weak-hand? We'll assume that you'll never carry anything in your strong-arm.
    That you'll never have to fend off an attacker with one hand while at the same time you're having to draw a weapon?
    That you'll never have to control the leash of a dog while trying to draw?
    That you'll never have your son, or daughter in your other arm while trying to draw?
    That your son, daughter, girlfriend, wife, mistress, or life partner will never be clinging desperately to your arm while you're trying to draw?
    That your other arm will never be injured and useless while you try to draw and fire with only one arm?

I've always tried to minimize the variables.

It took me a while to get comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, but now I always carry that way. Especially after googling "Tueller Drills"

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    Try carrying around the house with one in the chamber. It will help you get more comfortable with the idea. I remember when I first started carrying a 1911 with the hammer cocked, it is constantly on your mind, now it doesn't even phase me. Best of Luck.
    This is good advice. I carried around my apartment for a good 3-4 months before I got my CCW. Always carried 10+1 in a Glock 26. (full mag plus one in the chamber).

By the time I got my CCW and could carry outside the apartment, I was already very comfortable with it.

ALWAYS ready to go!

As others have said, if you are not comfortable carrying with one in the chamber, begin around the house, then head to Walmart, you kow the WM shuffle!

You never know when and if you will have time to load the gun. JMHO

To all

Really, thanks for the advice. For me... I have always used the M-16 and only ONCE while in service.

I have been reading a ton of information etc about being responible for having a gun and what to expect... Even after yesterday, I have been leaving it "hot" on my hip. Even now my job allows us to bring the gun to work but we must lock it away.

I shoot about twice a week... I'm getting pretty comfotble with it.

Thanks again.

Sometimes they don't see it like we do

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post

Yeah, when I had applied for my CCW , my wife wanted to also... we even went gen shopping. But after I got mine... she has no desire to get one. BOth of us are pior military, etc. But she sees it me... buying an image since I have a mustang. What promt me to get a CCW, is the fact I enter in several car shows a year, sometimes I'm out in areas that... if I came up missing... no one could find me. Plus I had a few people to give me that look of "... he's not from here and he's by himself..." Now, I have a .45 and a 380 for back up... not saying my car is worth more than my life, but if its the chance of me using it leagally... we all know the story. Dont want it to come to that, but that's the world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    My wife went out with friends for a dinner not too long ago, she was wearing a dress and was going to jot carry because there was no way to carry with the dress.

I had to remind her that her CHP allows her to carry in a handbag too ><

Sent using tapatalk
    You just need to get her a thigh holster for when she's wearing a dress.

You can also practice carrying empty and cocked around the house, doing everything you do out and about. If the gun goes click at a time you didn't intend, you're doing something wrong. Practice your draw and presentation while dry fire practicing.

You'll find that with a good holster, it won't go click at the wrong time and it's safe to carry chambered.

I always carry ready to rock. My Dad always told me a gun ain't no good if it ain't loaded.

Accomplished Advocate
    Unloaded gun is like an uncharged fire extinguisher, a real good idea but worthless if you need it when you do.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

I have been told by many that if a gun is unloaded when you need it a knife is better, and who wants a knife in a gun fight. Practice as you intend to carry. If you want to carry with one in the chamber then do so in practice. It builds muscle and memory retention. And a good piece of advice from an officer I met with was, "when practice drawing and presenting don't fire, it will be ingrained to do so when you need to draw, and you might not want to fire at that time and injure or kill someone that you didn't intend to.". Be safe
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!

the only time the wifes and i guns dont have 1 in the pipe is when we are reloading, or we have to go through Ill.

Quote Originally Posted by NG19 View Post
    I have been told by many that if a gun is unloaded when you need it a knife is better, and who wants a knife in a gun fight. Practice as you intend to carry. If you want to carry with one in the chamber then do so in practice. It builds muscle and memory retention. And a good piece of advice from an officer I met with was, "when practice drawing and presenting don't fire, it will be ingrained to do so when you need to draw, and you might not want to fire at that time and injure or kill someone that you didn't intend to.". Be safe
    This is some really good advice that I'm sure most people don't think of. Thank you for sharing.

I carry my P99, which has no manual safety, with one in the chamber, uncocked. Alls I gotta do is pull hard on the trigger to get through DA mode and the gun goes bang, just like if I had a DA revolver, except the second shot gets a lot easier.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast