• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Its "Christmas time"... time to leave one in the chamber????

Firedawg314

I have to say, this is the time of the year where the thugs are really out, they know that people are packing tons of cash on them and debit cards are ready to be drained.

With that being said, I "OC" where I can, and then I "CC". My wife has finially accept me "CC"ing. She is still trying to picture me "OC"ing. While we went to a store in the city area, it was bit an "eye opener". Before I got out of the truck, I loaded one in the chamber. I just figure, its easier for me to quickly throw the safety off and "let it loose" if I have to. But, wow, it really hit me hard... that I had to load one in the chamber. Normally, its just the mag is in and it ready when I need it to charge it.

What do you all think, good move or bad? Also, take care out there, there are several crap just going on in our local area.

MilProGuy

I always carry with a round in the chamber and safety on.

If I ever have to pull my handgun for self-defense, it will be ready to defend me with a mere flick of the safety.

tombrewster421

My chamber is always loaded. I really don't want to have to think, if the time to use my gun presents itself.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If there is something unsafe about you having a round in the chamber, there is something wrong with your firearm, your holster, or your training. Just saying...

Firefighter524

A Threat may not give you time to chamber so mine is always ready. any conversation I've had with local LEO's is usually "is that thing loaded" yes it is " good cause with out one in the chamber it got about as much worth as a rock and I wouldn't want to scratch it by thowing it" it's a weapon for personal protection like mentioned before if you don't feel 100% comfortable with it "hot" then more trainging may be required. For me personally I've worked law enforcement and i'm use to waking up in the morning grabbing my weapon from the night stand and sticking on my hip. I wouldn't feel right to carry a firearm that wasn't ready when I needed it!! Just my two cents !! Protect yourself !!

Badger Johnson

OK, as much as I tout my partner as being a great backup, with her Ruger LCR .357, I found out last night that she stopped carrying and didn't tell me. Yikes!

Found out it was 'inconvenient' when swimming and belly dance practice. I said (calmly) 'don't you think you should have clued me in? Do you mean to tell me you've been going out alone with no firearm when crimes are up in the area (including the abduction attempts)?'

So we're going to work on her delivery system for carrying all the time again. I think after a year of rigorous practice and carry people start to become bored. Anyone else have this happen?

Baked on Grease

OK, as much as I tout my partner as being a great backup, with her Ruger LCR .357, I found out last night that she stopped carrying and didn't tell me. Yikes!

Found out it was 'inconvenient' when swimming and belly dance practice. I said (calmly) 'don't you think you should have clued me in? Do you mean to tell me you've been going out alone with no firearm when crimes are up in the area (including the abduction attempts)?'

So we're going to work on her delivery system for carrying all the time again. I think after a year of rigorous practice and carry people start to become bored. Anyone else have this happen?

My wife went out with friends for a dinner not too long ago, she was wearing a dress and was going to jot carry because there was no way to carry with the dress.

I had to remind her that her CHP allows her to carry in a handbag too ><

Sent using tapatalk

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
ha, on that same note I finally got my mother into guns. She lives in an open carry state, but refuses to do it because she feels she needs someone's permission to hold a gun. She spent the $500ish it cost to finally get a permit there and I asked her if she is carrying regularly now. She said no, she just takes it with her to work O_O I'm like, mom...you could have been doing that the whole time... smh.

SavageOne

I have to say, this is the time of the year where the thugs are really out, they know that people are packing tons of cash on them and debit cards are ready to be drained.

With that being said, I "OC" where I can, and then I "CC". My wife has finially accept me "CC"ing. She is still trying to picture me "OC"ing. While we went to a store in the city area, it was bit an "eye opener". Before I got out of the truck, I loaded one in the chamber. I just figure, its easier for me to quickly throw the safety off and "let it loose" if I have to. But, wow, it really hit me hard... that I had to load one in the chamber. Normally, its just the mag is in and it ready when I need it to charge it.

What do you all think, good move or bad? Also, take care out there, there are several crap just going on in our local area.

Try carrying around the house with one in the chamber. It will help you get more comfortable with the idea. I remember when I first started carrying a 1911 with the hammer cocked, it is constantly on your mind, now it doesn't even phase me. Best of Luck.

Fallschirjmäger

It's been said,
"Those who carry with an empty chamber and have had to use it will tell you there's always time to rack the slide, those who didn't have time to rack the slide won't say anything, they're too busy being dead."

Can you assure yourself -
That you'll never carry anything that will encumber your weak-hand? We'll assume that you'll never carry anything in your strong-arm.
That you'll never have to fend off an attacker with one hand while at the same time you're having to draw a weapon?
That you'll never have to control the leash of a dog while trying to draw?
That you'll never have your son, or daughter in your other arm while trying to draw?
That your son, daughter, girlfriend, wife, mistress, or life partner will never be clinging desperately to your arm while you're trying to draw?
That your other arm will never be injured and useless while you try to draw and fire with only one arm?

I've always tried to minimize the variables.

PistolPackingMomma

It took me a while to get comfortable carrying with one in the pipe, but now I always carry that way. Especially after googling "Tueller Drills" :shocker:

Oramac

Try carrying around the house with one in the chamber. It will help you get more comfortable with the idea. I remember when I first started carrying a 1911 with the hammer cocked, it is constantly on your mind, now it doesn't even phase me. Best of Luck.

This is good advice. I carried around my apartment for a good 3-4 months before I got my CCW. Always carried 10+1 in a Glock 26. (full mag plus one in the chamber).

By the time I got my CCW and could carry outside the apartment, I was already very comfortable with it.

Redbaron007

ALWAYS ready to go!

As others have said, if you are not comfortable carrying with one in the chamber, begin around the house, then head to Walmart, you kow the WM shuffle! :lol:

You never know when and if you will have time to load the gun. JMHO

Firedawg314

To all

Really, thanks for the advice. For me... I have always used the M-16 and only ONCE while in service.

I have been reading a ton of information etc about being responible for having a gun and what to expect... Even after yesterday, I have been leaving it "hot" on my hip. Even now my job allows us to bring the gun to work but we must lock it away.

I shoot about twice a week... I'm getting pretty comfotble with it.

Thanks again.

Firedawg314

Sometimes they don't see it like we do

Yeah, when I had applied for my CCW , my wife wanted to also... we even went gen shopping. But after I got mine... she has no desire to get one. BOth of us are pior military, etc. But she sees it me... buying an image since I have a mustang. What promt me to get a CCW, is the fact I enter in several car shows a year, sometimes I'm out in areas that... if I came up missing... no one could find me. Plus I had a few people to give me that look of "... he's not from here and he's by himself..." Now, I have a .45 and a 380 for back up... not saying my car is worth more than my life, but if its the chance of me using it leagally... we all know the story. Dont want it to come to that, but that's the world we live in.

tombrewster421

My wife went out with friends for a dinner not too long ago, she was wearing a dress and was going to jot carry because there was no way to carry with the dress.

I had to remind her that her CHP allows her to carry in a handbag too ><

Sent using tapatalk

You just need to get her a thigh holster for when she's wearing a dress. ;)

PracticalTactical

You can also practice carrying empty and cocked around the house, doing everything you do out and about. If the gun goes click at a time you didn't intend, you're doing something wrong. Practice your draw and presentation while dry fire practicing.

You'll find that with a good holster, it won't go click at the wrong time and it's safe to carry chambered.