Thread: Idaho elected officials more privileged than citizens?

Idaho elected officials more privileged than citizens?

Last edited by Keith Cromm; 05-24-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Clarification of purpose.

What background checks are required to hold public office? I'd start there.

Can you imagine the liability on the state if one of them uses their firearm improperly after having been officially excused from otherwise required safety training? I'd go there next.

Elitist pigs. I'd end up there.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Last edited by Keith Cromm; 05-24-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Cromm View Post
    As IC 18-3302 reads, "any publicly elected Idaho official;". The instant their election is affirmed by the County Registar, they are a "publicly elected Idaho official". No BG check, no swearing in, no nothing. They can CC on the spot. No questions asked.
    unless one (1) of the following applies...

He:[sic]
    (a) Is ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law;
    (b) Is formally charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;
    (c) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;
    (d) Is a fugitive from justice;
    (e) Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance as defined in 21 U.S.C. 802;
    (f) Is currently suffering or has been adjudicated as follows, based on substantial evidence:
    (i) Lacking mental capacity as defined in section 18-210, Idaho Code;
    (ii) Mentally ill as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code;
    (iii) Gravely disabled as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code; or
    (iv) An incapacitated person as defined in section 15-5-101(a), Idaho Code.
    (g) Is or has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
    (h) Is or has been adjudicated guilty of or received a withheld judgment or suspended sentence for one (1) or more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor, unless three (3) years have elapsed since disposition or pardon has occurred prior to the date on which the application is submitted;
    (i) Has had entry of a withheld judgment for a criminal offense which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed weapon license;
    (j) Is an alien illegally in the United States;
    (k) Is a person who having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
    (l) Is under twenty-one (21) years of age;
    (m) Is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal or sentencing for a crime which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed weapon license; or
    (n) Is subject to a protection order issued under chapter 63, title 39, Idaho Code, that restrains the person from harassing, stalking or threatening an intimate partner of the person or child of the intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/...ECT18-3302.htm
    Last edited by oldbanger; 11-21-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Well, yes, but the point is that there is a difference in legally being allowed to do something and having a background check done to make sure you are legally allowed to do it.

The elected official has the same restrictions on legal firearms ownership, but no background check to ensure it, like he (by nature of his office) forces his constituents to submit.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Last edited by Keith Cromm; 05-24-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    I open carry because if a bad guy attacks me anyway, I am best prepared to respond appropriately, with minimal fuss, and my bearing of a firearm is not infringed by having to lift my shirt, pull back my jacket, or unzip some pouch. Forcing people to carry concealed is an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms.