• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for Some Info

Aknazer

Does anyone know where I can find info on LEO gun grabs, number of sworn officers, and number of arrests (preferably all from the same year, but if the info is a few years apart that is fine)?

I'm also looking for information on gun shop robberies (and if any of them were hot), information on home robberies where guns were stolen (and if any of these were hot), and how many total robberies there were in the year (preferably all info would be from the same year, but a few years of separation isn't a big deal).

Thanks for any help in finding this information.

j4l

Well, for one, you'd need to narrow that down a lot to particular dept.s'/states/counties, etc. I dont believe there to be any one statistical database that holds any or all of that info. And, few dept.s are going to publicize the rather embarassing statistics involving their officers, so you may have to face mutliple FOIA requests.

Aknazer

I could have sworn I've seen some FBI statistics on cops injured with thier own guns that was relatively recent, but when I tried searching for it what I found was relatively old.

The reason I'm looking for this info is because I have someone who states that these gun grabs on LEO are relatively commonplace, along with gun stores and houses with guns being targeted for robberies. So I want to find some citable info (since he refuses to actually back up any of his claims) that first show the raw numbers of gun grabs on LEO, then shows the total number of sworn LEO in the country followed by a percentage of how likely it is for any one of those officers to deal with a gun grab. After this I would show just how many arrests happened that year (aka how many times cops interacted with "criminals") and show the percentage of how likely a cop is to have to deal with a gun grab on any particular arrest.

From here I would work to show how few (if any) of the gun stores that are robbed are done so with people in the store. Followed by looking at how many houses are actually robbed for weapons, and then show a percentage compared to total robberies and percentage comparing hot robbery numbers.

Of course with this particular person (Roger Phillips) I'll likely be called a liar and number manipulator. But it would be good general information to have, and there would be plenty of other people who could then look at the actual numbers and make a decision for theirself rather than having to rely on his rather pathetic BS.

j4l

Rather pointless excersize, really. If you're debating Libs/Antis, they believe what they believe and whatever their particular Media/Education tells them to believe, as gospel, and that's all there is.
Whatever statistics you present, they'll always question the validity, and the source-because if it isnt cominig from CNN or Huffington, or Rosie O'donnel, it's going to be considered BS.

Example: CNN could report tommorow that the sky is red. Later that day you could debate one of these folks, under a clear, blue sky -and they'll still point to it and say "see? the sky is red".

Dont bother wasting your time, you may end up tempted to put a round in thier empty heads..

:banghead:

hermannr

Use the same thing that we all use here. No "cite", it did not happen. Don't waste your time doing his work for him, make him the fool, do not expose yourself to the same...

(and a cite from any organization does not count, it has to be a cite from a legal source, ie, state statistical data base, FBI data base...etc.)

Last edited:

ncwabbit

per your request

According to preliminary statistics released today (may 16 2011) by the FBI, 56 of our nation’s law enforcement officers were feloniously killed in the line of duty during 2010. By region, 22 victims were killed in the South, 18 in the West, 10 in the Midwest, three in the Northeast, and three in Puerto Rico. The total number of officers feloniously killed in 2010 was eight more than the 48 officers slain in 2009.

Of these 56 felonious deaths, 15 officers were killed during ambushes (13 during unprovoked attacks and two due to entrapment/premeditation situations), eight were investigating suspicious persons or circumstances, seven were killed during traffic pursuits/stops, six of the fallen officers interrupted robberies in progress or were pursuing robbery suspects, and six were responding to disturbance calls (four of them being domestic disturbances). Three of the officers interrupted burglaries in progress or were pursuing burglary suspects, three died during tactical situations, two were conducting investigations, one officer was handling or transporting a prisoner, one was killed during a drug-related conflict, and four of the officers were attempting to make arrests for other offenses.

Offenders used firearms in all but one of the felonious deaths of law enforcement officers in 2010. Thirty-eight of the fallen officers were killed with handguns, 15 with rifles, and two with shotguns. The only officer who was not a victim of firearms was killed with a vehicle.

Of the 56 victim officers, 38 were wearing body armor at the times of their deaths. Sixteen of the victim officers fired their own weapons, and seven officers attempted to use their own weapons. Seven victim officers had their weapons stolen; seven officers were killed with their own weapons.

In addition to the officers who were feloniously killed in 2010, 72 officers were killed in accidents.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...s-for-law-enforcement-officers-killed-in-2010

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...saulted-type-weapon-percent-injured-01-10.xls

Last edited:

Aknazer

Rather pointless excersize, really. If you're debating Libs/Antis, they believe what they believe and whatever their particular Media/Education tells them to believe, as gospel, and that's all there is.
Whatever statistics you present, they'll always question the validity, and the source-because if it isnt cominig from CNN or Huffington, or Rosie O'donnel, it's going to be considered BS.

Example: CNN could report tommorow that the sky is red. Later that day you could debate one of these folks, under a clear, blue sky -and they'll still point to it and say "see? the sky is red".

Dont bother wasting your time, you may end up tempted to put a round in thier empty heads..

:banghead:

It is with Roger Phillips (there's a thread about one of his articles in the Why Open Carry forums). And while he does similar things to what you describe (claims I've manipulated the numbers, flat out ignores them, and/or refuses to post any of his numbers to back up his statements among other things), I'm wanting the information more so that people on his forum can see the actual numbers and make a choice for theirselves rather than having the only source of "information" be from him.

Use the same thing that we all use here. No "cite", it did not happen. Don't waste your time doing his work for him, make him the fool, do not expose yourself to the same...

(and a cite from any organization does not count, it has to be a cite from a legal source, ie, state statistical data base, FBI data base...etc.)

Sadly, the person refuses to give any cites to actual numbers. He occasionally posts stories though, and might have found an incident where an OCer was held up specifically for his gun. But he flat out refuses to quantify any of his claims. And I want to show the other people actual data rather than them having to rely on only his word.