• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

US house passes conceal carry bill for inter state travel

MilProGuy

"Under the House legislation, people with a concealed carry permit in one state could carry a concealed weapon in every other state that gives people the right to carry concealed weapons."

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Let us hope and pray that the Senate does its duty and protects their state's rights. State Rights are the last bulwark against federal meddling now that the Constitution is so disrespected and base ignorance tolerated in the electorate. States Rights are a fine teergruben against an overweening tyrant.

Last edited:

DocWalker

I watched part of the debate on the floor and it was pretty telling.

A female DEMOCRAT congress woman said "people will be traveling accross state lines ARMED AND DANGEROUS." She was part right ARMED, but I take offense to the DANGEROUS part. She insulted every law abiding citzen by her comments. The only people that are DANGEROUS is people like her that are in positions of power to affect others. She would just assume the average American citizen be a slave as long as she is a owner.

Teej

Let us hope and pray that the Senate does its duty and protects their state's rights. State Rights are the last bulwark against federal meddling now that the Constitution is so disrespected and base ignorance tolerated in the electorate. States Rights are a fine teergruben against an overweening tyrant.

I'd think it'd be easy enough to make an end-run around that. Do the same thing they do with drinking laws / BAL levels for intoxication.

States that do not accept other states' carry permits receive decreased federal highway dollars.

I'm assuming (haven't read it) that's not in the bill the House passed...which isn't going anywhere.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Ergh.... State powers, state POWERS. Sorry, I can't help myself with the pet peeve.:)

Carry on...:cool:

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Ergh.... State powers, state POWERS. Sorry, I can't help myself with the pet peeve.
Search internet "states rights" - 1.36 Billion hits, "states powers" - 0.2 Billion hits. Search Library of Congress "states rights" - 354982 hits, "states powers" - 6374

Do you want to quibble your peeve or communicate? Some jurisdictions prohibit quibbling a peeve as an obscenity.

bigdaddy1

I watched part of the debate on the floor and it was pretty telling.

A female DEMOCRAT congress woman said "people will be traveling accross state lines ARMED AND DANGEROUS." She was part right ARMED, but I take offense to the DANGEROUS part. She insulted every law abiding citzen by her comments. The only people that are DANGEROUS is people like her that are in positions of power to affect others. She would just assume the average American citizen be a slave as long as she is a owner.

If you can find out who this misinformed person is we can educate her.

hazek

WHY EVERY CCW HOLDER SHOULD VEHEMENTLY OPPOSE THIS BILL:

H.R. 822 — A Trojan Horse?
http://www.nationalgunrights.org/h-r-822-a-trojan-horse/

I’m worried.

Some well-meaning, but in my opinion very misguided pro-gunners are working to pass a bill that could turn into a Trojan Horse for more gun control.

Of course, I’m talking about H.R. 822, the so-called “National Reciprocity Act,” which could open the flood gates of gun control.

I’m calling it the National CCW Registration Act.

While the idea that all states should recognize a concealed weapons permit is sound public policy, the use of the anti-gun federal bureaucracy to implement it is simply foolish.

Once the Federal Government is in the business of setting the standards for concealed carry permits, it’s only a matter of time before they start using that power to restrict our rights.

Now you may hear arguments that this bill doesn’t do that, and maybe that’s true … for now.

Even worse, once this bill starts moving, anyone can amend the bill with anything … and no legislation can bind a future Congress in any way. And that doesn’t count what Obamacrats in the Department of Justice might dream up as the “regulations” to carry out the legislative “intent.”

Once gun owners let the Obamacrats start mandating whether states recognize permit reciprocity, they will want to mandate what it takes to get and keep those permits.

We’re talking about:

- More onerous standards to acquire a permit, so that only FBI agents can pass muster (look at New York’s permit system);
- Higher fees;
- More training requirements;
- A demonstration of “Need” for a permit;
- More frequent renewal periods;
- Federally-mandated waiting periods;
- A national database of all permit holders, accessible by Attorney General Eric Holder;
- An extensive, federally-created list of Criminal Safezones, where only criminals will carry and where law-abiding gun owners are vulnerable;
The list of potential problems is endless.

Read the full article at the link. BTW the bold part is what actually almost did happen but luckily failed this time:
http://www.facebook.com/repjustinamash

Here's the roll call for the Jackson Lee of TX Amendment 4 to H R 822, which requires all states to create nationally accessible databases of all concealed carry permit holders. This is just plain dangerous. I voted no. It failed 139-284. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll846.xml

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/h-r-822-moves-to-the-senate/

H.R. 822 moves to the Senate

I was right to be concerned.

Not only was H.R. 822 — the Trojan horse gun control bill — passed out of the House of Representatives this evening, it was passed with an amendment that would open the door to federal biometric requirements for concealed firearms permits and a federally-administered database of all permit holders.

Only 7 Republican Members of Congress stood against federal overreach in the concealed carry process by opposing this bill (you can see how your Representative voted here: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll852.xml).

The bill was amended this afternoon by ostensibly “pro-gun” Republicans to require a study be done on the ability of law enforcement officers to verify the validity of out-of-state concealed firearm permits.

You and I both know what this means. A year from now, the study will come back stating that the only way to “verify” out-of-state permits is through federally-mandated biometric requirements for concealed firearm permits and Congress “must” create a nationally administered database of all concealed weapon permit holders.

Don't get fooled by it's name. Investigate what's actually in the bag.

Law abider

WHY EVERY CCW HOLDER SHOULD VEHEMENTLY OPPOSE THIS BILL:

H.R. 822 — A Trojan Horse?
http://www.nationalgunrights.org/h-r-822-a-trojan-horse/

Read the full article at the link. BTW the bold part is what actually almost did happen but luckily failed this time:
http://www.facebook.com/repjustinamash

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/h-r-822-moves-to-the-senate/

H.R. 822 moves to the Senate

Don't get fooled by it's name. Investigate what's actually in the bag.
How do we then interpret the second amendment? If states that do prohibit the 'bearing' clause like NY. Don't you think that the supremacy clause should be applied to those states phrobiting the second amendment? I thought states rights are ones not in the federal constitution, sush as those 'other rights'. feds already assume they have gun control rights on their side but the 2 supreme court cases speak otherwise. My two cents. I amy be wrong.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Search internet "states rights" - 1.36 Billion hits, "states powers" - 0.2 Billion hits. Search Library of Congress "states rights" - 354982 hits, "states powers" - 6374

Do you want to quibble your peeve or communicate? Some jurisdictions prohibit quibbling a peeve as an obscenity.

Careful, your "Doug" is showing....whoops!....shhhhh
zipped-up-smile-1.gif

BTW,
I'll do both and quibble my peeve anywhere I darn well please, TYVM.:lol:

Sorry, just like grammar nazis; I can't help myself sometimes.

Last edited:

hrdware

I didn't catch her name but she was a rather large African-American woman who was very angry and talked like she was scolding a child. I doo know she is not an Idaho representive and believe she is a democrat.

It was Representative Jackson Lee (D) of Texas.

She had another amendment that failed where she wanted folks from state A, traveling to state B, to call and notify the state police at least 24 hours in advance that they would be coming to their state. That way, if you got stopped at 3am the police would know if you had a concealed weapon instead of "...walking back to your car and seeing your concealed weapon on your hip..."

DocWalker

It was Representative Jackson Lee (D) of Texas.

She had another amendment that failed where she wanted folks from state A, traveling to state B, to call and notify the state police at least 24 hours in advance that they would be coming to their state. That way, if you got stopped at 3am the police would know if you had a concealed weapon instead of "...walking back to your car and seeing your concealed weapon on your hip..."

Thanks

That would have made so much sense how would the cop know who was driving what car?

If your gun is concealed how would he see it?

Who elected this POS.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Look at her committee assignments - terrorism and security. This is the schtumpig that wanted to task the Mars rovers to look for the flag that Neil Armstrong planted in 1969. A favorite whipping post for the right wing radio talkers.

PracticalTactical

Ahhh, come on! This is the epitome of tinfoil hattery.

Anti-gunners will always want to try and take our rights away, regardless of whether there's an HR 822 or not. Take, for example, Boxer's bill that would require all states to go to may issue. They don't need the Trojan Horse to attack, they'd do it anyway. What they might do is irrelevant to the discussion, and quite frankly wreaks of paranoia.

As for states' rights, the tenth amendment doesn't apply here. The fourteenth amendment authorized congress to enact laws to protect individual rights from state infringement. If we elevate the states above the constitution, they'll screw us over just like the Feds would. Anything that restricts government power is a good thing for our rights.

The only argument left is that it's a less than ideal bill. If we never support less than the ideal, we'd never accomplish anything because nobody will work with us. HR 822, as amended, doesn't take anything away, so what harm in using it as a stepping stone toward something better later?