• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Concealed" Carry case/Holster

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
That looks like a cool case for discreet carry without a cover garment in places where concealed carry is legal.

For California, the concept is basically that you are hoping the 4th amendment protections will deem any evidence found to be seized illegitimately correct? That or you have to be walking to or from specific places that the law allows a locked case to be an exception the prohibition on carrying concealed.

mjones

That or you have to be walking to or from specific places that the law allows a locked case to be an exception the prohibition on carrying concealed.

'Specific Destination requirements' for LUCC (Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry) only apply to CA Defined Assault Weapons and for movement that doesn't involve to/from a vehicle.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm,
the firearm is contained within a locked container.

"directly to/from a vehicle" still doesn't come that close to open ended. In a lot of cases it would be useful... But if you were stopped, say, bowling, it would be difficult to argue that you were going directly to or from a vehicle.

I'd like as much as anyone else to be able to say I left a vehicle hours ago and my destination is back to a vehicle, with all of the other tasks in the day being a direct path, but I fear that a prosecutor would not see things that way.

By contrast, if one had a hidden rifle, one would not have to worry about whether they are on a route to or from a vehicle and could be on a route to or from no where or not moving at all and still be legal so long as they were not in a place specifically prohibiting guns by statute.

I've heard some respond something like, "Bowling is a lawful purpose." But the act of carrying a gun concealed in a locked case while bowling is not legal under normal circumstances, (whereby no vehicle is involved), and thus is not ordinarily a lawful purpose, I would bet a prosecutor would say. Now, if one had the lawful purpose of transporting the gun to an area where loaded open carry was legal, that seems to be bullet proof that one could carry concealed in a locked container on the way to an area where loaded open carry was legal, as loaded open carry is a lawful purpose in areas where it is permissible.

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Don't see that of any use......

Just saw this posted over on CalGuns.

The Sneaky Pete Holster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscmA9Ix9uk

This is very similar to something I was thinking of designing. Add a quick-open locking mechanism and you've got a decent carry solution for restrictive California.

And folks who what to Open Carry for 1A reasons could put a big label on it that says "GUN". ;)

Unless you have a CCW this holster is of no use in CA

Difdi

If concealed carry is illegal, what if you had a case made of, say, Lucite? Clear polycarbonate? It's a locked case, needing either a key or biometric signature to open, 1the weapon isn't loaded and it's less concealed than it would be even in a holster. How would that mesh with state law?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
If concealed carry is illegal, what if you had a case made of, say, Lucite? Clear polycarbonate? It's a locked case, needing either a key or biometric signature to open, 1the weapon isn't loaded and it's less concealed than it would be even in a holster. How would that mesh with state law?

I think it would be dandy with the state laws. Unloaded open carry is illegal, but there is an exception for when it is in a locked case. The law practically spells out the legality of unloaded open carry in a clear locked case, it seems to me.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
This thread just made me come to a realization... CC is really nothing more than another means of making a gun ineffective. Like gun locks, or not being allowed to load it. It gives certain people a false feeling of safety to have it with them, but it still doesn't prevent, and getting to it when you need it is still a pain.

...as evidenced by the title of this thread and the frequent quandry of "what do I get to CC and how do I find a way to make it convenient/useful when I do?" It ends up being a placebo.

Look at the contortions this thread goes through to find a way to make it marginally useful....

Last edited: