• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to get a CWP Thread and some how to.

Kenne

I saw that in another state thread this was made for people that are getting their permit. So I thought about making one for IDAHO.
In Idaho there is a 90day that it can take up to. My friend in the marines just got his after 32days. So lets see how long a normal person will take.

I'm a Navy Vet and needed to bring my Mil. ID, DD214 for honorable discharge. and my Drivers License.
A passport is accepted. Drivers License or ID Card provided by Idaho Department of Transportation is needed.
I had to go to Baraster Offices not where go get your drivers license.
Took about 30min filed out 2 pieces of paper work and did my finger printing.
208-577-3112 is their number
Hours of operation was like 8AM till 4PM

Me (DC13)
Date of request 17NOV11
Date getting the permit (At day 90 as of 15FEB12 and still nothing) Received 16FED12

Keith Cromm
Date of Request: 14DEC11
Date getting the permit: 10FEB12

Last edited:

Kenne

If you are military or have had military training that is your firearm training.
but i found out its not enough for idaho fish and game to get a hunting license :(

tried today when i grabbed my new ar 15

oldbanger

I saw that in another state thread this was made for people that are getting their permit...you're getting a Concealed Weapons License - CWL
I'm a Navy vet and needed to bring my Mil. ID, DD214 for honorable discharge. and my Drivers License.
A passport is accepted. License is needed if civ...
or state identification card number of the licensee if used for identification in applying for the license.

I'm not picking your nit Kenne,

Last edited:

DaveNIdaho

I live in Ada county. Both myself, Mom, Dad, and my brother go to the Canyon County Sheriffs in Caldwell to obtain/renew our CWPs. The firearm safety course requirement (so far as it was the last 2 times I was there for CWP renewel) is as simple as writing down, on the application, what firearms training you have had. That's it. You don't have to provide any kind of actual proof that you did in fact attend and passed said firearms safety/training course.

Of course you will need to provide a valid Idaho drivers license, submit to finger printing, wait for the background check, and pay the fee.

However - I would say that if you in fact do not have any kind of training under your belt, it is always a good idea to get some training and then practice what you learned as much as you can.

Kenne

I agree u need training. every year i do different training then most in san diego at XE Services while is always a blast but very expensive

oldbanger

I live in Ada county. Both myself, Mom, Dad, and my brother go to the Canyon County Sheriffs in Caldwell to obtain/renew our CWPs...

you're getting a Concealed Weapons License - CWL

Of course you will need to provide a valid Idaho drivers license,...

or state identification card number of the licensee if used for identification in applying for the license.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302.htm

I'm not ˈnɪtˌpɪkɪŋ :dude:

hermannr

While I agree everyone that has a handgun should have training...I don't agree it should be government mandated training.

We do not have a problem here in WA (your neighbors you know, and we can carry in ID all we want with our WA CPL) and there is no government mandated training to obtain a CPL here in WA.

I was trained by my dad over 50 years ago, I trained all my own children, and am now training my grandchildren. That is the way it should be. For those that do not have a father/grandfather to teach them safe firearms handling and shooting, there are classes available...but they should not be mandated by the government....yes, I know, I went through hunters training class, including handling and firing weapons, back in 1962, (I don't think it was manditory back then though) but I still don't think it should be government mandated.

BoiseGandB

I've been hearing from more and more people that Ada County is taking longer than 90 days, I really am not understanding what is taking this county so long when the others are handling it in a matter of days. So many states (even ones that are much more populous than Idaho) have a 30 day window. Idaho has a 90 day window and Ada county is using every bit of it and sometimes going over. Are they purposely delaying the process for other reasons?

Kenne

if they take longer then 90days on me ill be walking down to news channel 6 and 7 and being like yo here is a news story.

Im going on 60days this month so we will see.

DocWalker

Elmore County was pretty swift. Both my Wife and my CCW took less than 45 days, I know we don't have the volume of applications but it shouldn't take over 90 days.

If ADA county is breaking the law by taking more than 90 days than someone needs to be held accountable. They should be looking for a new job at the very least.

hermannr

If it takes more than a day or two, they are just sitting on it, or doing them when they have absolutely nothing else to do.
Mine was in Washington...went to the Okanogan County Sheriff's office...took maybe 15 minutes, electronic figerprints and all, on a Thursday or was it Friday?, anyway, had it in the mail on Monday. (don't remeber exactly, was a while ago. Renewals are same day.)

Should take just as long as it does to purchase a new pistol after you have a CPL. Same process except for teh finger prints.

Last edited:

Kenne

Going on my 60 days next week :/ hmmm looks like I might get to talk to the news stations. :)

Kenne

Tomorrow while im out at that end im going to stop by and inquire about this. it takes 39min for me to buy a gun and walk out but 70+ days so far to get my permit. :(

Kenne

Well I was right there today so I thought I'd just stop by. I'm still "PENDING". :) go Idaho