Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Traveling THROUGH a GFSZ

  1. #1
    Regular Member GlockRDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    north of the Peoples Republic of Madison
    Posts
    626

    Traveling THROUGH a GFSZ

    Was talking to a local firearms enthusiast/FFL holder...Talking about the GFSZ...he was told by a local attorney that its legal to be 'passing through' while OC w/o permit. He was cited the 'peacable journey' as being applicable to this situation. From my understanding, thats what would be applied to, driving THROUGH ILL on your way to OH, or IN, with your arms properly stowed in the vehicle... Thoughts on this?

  2. #2
    Regular Member McNutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    84
    TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    PART I--CRIMES
    CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

    Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
    who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
    transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
    the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.
    I believe that this is the federal law that is referred to as the Peaceable Journey law. While the law would create defense if stopped in IL or other restrictive states while transporting a firearm, the risk is that the LEO isn't going to know anything about this. Basically my philosophy would be avoid LEO contact at all costs and never give consent to a search.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North of Madison
    Posts
    177

    illinois

    Quote Originally Posted by McNutty View Post
    I believe that this is the federal law that is referred to as the Peaceable Journey law. While the law would create defense if stopped in IL or other restrictive states while transporting a firearm, the risk is that the LEO isn't going to know anything about this. Basically my philosophy would be avoid LEO contact at all costs and never give consent to a search.
    +1000 I would not have the firearm loaded and on my person. They do not have gun rights in Illinois. When I took the UTAH class in Wisconsin our instructor for the class stopped before the communist border, disarmed and then re-armed once in the USA again. I would not chance it. Why lose your permits because of one lousy state in the USA?
    May I see your First, Fourth And Thirteenth Amendment Permits, please?

    Guns do not make you a killer. I
    think killing makes you a killer. You can kill
    someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is
    trying to ban you from driving to the ball game. (Andy Rooney RIP)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    132

    There NO SAFE WAY to carry in a GFSZ without a permit

    Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Was talking to a local firearms enthusiast/FFL holder...Talking about the GFSZ...he was told by a local attorney that its legal to be 'passing through' while OC w/o permit. He was cited the 'peacable journey' as being applicable to this situation. From my understanding, thats what would be applied to, driving THROUGH ILL on your way to OH, or IN, with your arms properly stowed in the vehicle... Thoughts on this?

    This has been discussed here ad nauseam, the local lawyer is wrong! Have him/her check with the BATF. They will tell him/her and you, the only way you carry in a GFSZ is unloaded and in a LOCKED case unless you have a permit from the EXACT STATE the school is located in. As WI isn't giving out of state permits, any non-resident risks a federal FELONY violation if they carry in most cities in WI (unless on private property) because of the GFSZ.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    I Don't See Any Mention

    of federal law. Do you?

    TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    PART I--CRIMES
    CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

    Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof,
    any person
    who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
    transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
    the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.

  6. #6
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Was talking to a local firearms enthusiast/FFL holder...Talking about the GFSZ...he was told by a local attorney that its legal to be 'passing through' while OC w/o permit. He was cited the 'peacable journey' as being applicable to this situation. From my understanding, thats what would be applied to, driving THROUGH ILL on your way to OH, or IN, with your arms properly stowed in the vehicle... Thoughts on this?
    Well, if you're driving around your town the "peaceable journey" law doesn't apply since it applies to interstate travel only. Secondly, the peaceable journey law says it applies when the firearms is in a locked container, which basically amounts to the same restriction as the GFSZ requires. I can't see any applicability to OC without a permit in a GFSZ.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  7. #7
    Regular Member GlockRDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    north of the Peoples Republic of Madison
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Well, if you're driving around your town the "peaceable journey" law doesn't apply since it applies to interstate travel only. Secondly, the peaceable journey law says it applies when the firearms is in a locked container, which basically amounts to the same restriction as the GFSZ requires. I can't see any applicability to OC without a permit in a GFSZ.
    Thats kinda what I was thinking Auric..ill point this thread out to them this afternoon...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •