• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling THROUGH a GFSZ

GlockRDH

Was talking to a local firearms enthusiast/FFL holder...Talking about the GFSZ...he was told by a local attorney that its legal to be 'passing through' while OC w/o permit. He was cited the 'peacable journey' as being applicable to this situation. From my understanding, thats what would be applied to, driving THROUGH ILL on your way to OH, or IN, with your arms properly stowed in the vehicle... Thoughts on this?

McNutty

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I--CRIMES
CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
container other than the glove compartment or console.

I believe that this is the federal law that is referred to as the Peaceable Journey law. While the law would create defense if stopped in IL or other restrictive states while transporting a firearm, the risk is that the LEO isn't going to know anything about this. Basically my philosophy would be avoid LEO contact at all costs and never give consent to a search.

Packfanatic

illinois

I believe that this is the federal law that is referred to as the Peaceable Journey law. While the law would create defense if stopped in IL or other restrictive states while transporting a firearm, the risk is that the LEO isn't going to know anything about this. Basically my philosophy would be avoid LEO contact at all costs and never give consent to a search.

+1000 I would not have the firearm loaded and on my person. They do not have gun rights in Illinois. When I took the UTAH class in Wisconsin our instructor for the class stopped before the communist border, disarmed and then re-armed once in the USA again. I would not chance it. Why lose your permits because of one lousy state in the USA?

Support The 2nd

There NO SAFE WAY to carry in a GFSZ without a permit

Was talking to a local firearms enthusiast/FFL holder...Talking about the GFSZ...he was told by a local attorney that its legal to be 'passing through' while OC w/o permit. He was cited the 'peacable journey' as being applicable to this situation. From my understanding, thats what would be applied to, driving THROUGH ILL on your way to OH, or IN, with your arms properly stowed in the vehicle... Thoughts on this?

This has been discussed here ad nauseam, the local lawyer is wrong! Have him/her check with the BATF. They will tell him/her and you, the only way you carry in a GFSZ is unloaded and in a LOCKED case unless you have a permit from the EXACT STATE the school is located in. As WI isn't giving out of state permits, any non-resident risks a federal FELONY violation if they carry in most cities in WI (unless on private property) because of the GFSZ.

apjonas

I Don't See Any Mention

of federal law. Do you?

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I--CRIMES
CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof,
any person
who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
container other than the glove compartment or console.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Well, if you're driving around your town the "peaceable journey" law doesn't apply since it applies to interstate travel only. Secondly, the peaceable journey law says it applies when the firearms is in a locked container, which basically amounts to the same restriction as the GFSZ requires. I can't see any applicability to OC without a permit in a GFSZ.

GlockRDH

Well, if you're driving around your town the "peaceable journey" law doesn't apply since it applies to interstate travel only. Secondly, the peaceable journey law says it applies when the firearms is in a locked container, which basically amounts to the same restriction as the GFSZ requires. I can't see any applicability to OC without a permit in a GFSZ.

Thats kinda what I was thinking Auric..ill point this thread out to them this afternoon...