• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

washoe county shooting regs

chrsjhnsn

It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm, with the exception of shotguns, air rifles or B-B guns, within 5,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county any shotgun, air rifle or B-B gun within 1,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.

!!?? why cant they make up their minds or at least tell you what they mean-is it 1000 or 5000?

I live in unincorporated Washoe and heard rumors the Sheriff is telling a neighbor he can no longer shoot on his land, but it appears as if the guys land is at least 5000 ft away and he was shooting there before the hippies moved in

Yard Sale

Draw a 1000' circle around a dwelling. Nothing whatosever can be shot within that circle, not even BBs. Outside that circle, BBs and shotguns are OK. Draw another 5000' feet out: beyond that, anything goes.

I think that's what it says.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Draw a 1000' circle around a dwelling. Nothing whatosever can be shot within that circle, not even BBs. Outside that circle, BBs and shotguns are OK. Draw another 5000' feet out: beyond that, anything goes.

I think that's what it says.

Yes. The within-5000' reg specifically exempts shotguns, BB and air guns, the within-1000' reg prohibits those.

chrsjhnsn

so, this is fairly remote, a good chance that he is 6000 ft from his neighbor-if so he can go back to shooting?

the regs are not clear, all they seem to indicate is both 1000 & 5000

Joef

The Washoe Sheriff Mike Haley appears to have taken it on himself to start actually enforcing some of the county & state firearms laws that are on the books. No matter how nonsensical. Congested area & no shooting signs are going up everywhere. He has even put out his own version of an interactive no shoot map. The little red circles are 5000 feet around rural homes. Fortunately he doesn't have the resources to really enforce it. So far it only seems to be an issue if one of the neighbors complain.

http://www.washoesheriff.com/firearms-discharge.html

I got interested in why and found out he is telling people he may run for a "higher" office as a democrat. He also had a couple of quotes about the IHOP shooting about how he was in favor of banning assault weapons and wanted ccw to be discretionary issue. The guy is a dou**e. Remember this next time he is up for election. Join the NRA and the new state assoc the Nevada Firearms Coalition. Check out http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/index.php & Nevadashooters.com for local firearms & shooting issues.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
so, this is fairly remote, a good chance that he is 6000 ft from his neighbor-if so he can go back to shooting?

the regs are not clear, all they seem to indicate is both 1000 & 5000

Yes, if he's more than 5000 feet he's in the clear.

Look at the regs again. The 5000 foot section specifies pistols and rifles and specifically exempts shotguns and BB guns. The 1000 foot section specifies shotguns and BB guns, because pistols and rifles were already prohibited by the 5000 foot section.

Robin47

!!?? why cant they make up their minds or at least tell you what they mean-is it 1000 or 5000?

I live in unincorporated Washoe and heard rumors the Sheriff is telling a neighbor he can no longer shoot on his land, but it appears as if the guys land is at least 5000 ft away and he was shooting there before the hippies moved in

Might have to band together, and complain.
This might cut out a lot of shooting areas that other wise might be good spots, like
shooting into an hill side ETC.
Remember this Sheriff come election time, and vote him out !

However it can get worse here's some articles on wanting to stop target shooting and hunting
on BLM lands.

http://www.personalliberty.com/news...s-off-public-land/?eiid=&rmid=2011_11_18_PLA_[P11666179]&rrid=394919151

And another :

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...11/16/obama-pushing-shooters-off-public-lands

I don't know what to think of all this "Non-liberty" thinking and those who enforce these Ideas either.
Its a sad day in America now. Fight on !
Robin47 :(