• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor Malloy appoints new member to the BFPE

Rich B

Ed Peruta said:
Notice to all:

Gov. Malloy has made an appointment.

James A. Greer III has been appointed to serve on the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners effective November 10th.

If Mr. Greer is an attorney then the Board can hold hearings twice per month to reduce the backlog.

Only time will tell.

It appears that James A. Greer III is an attorney in New York???

Thought this deserved a new thread.

KIX

I did a search earlier today on this and all I found was CT and NY legal stuff.

Made sense, as with another attorney, either the Chairman doesn't have to be there or they can have extra meetings.

I do have to give them credit, with only one attorney, they did still do a bunch of extra hearings this year. They are all volunteers.

Hopefully, this will help our cause!

Jonathan

Edward Peruta

Board Regulations

Governor Dannel P. Malloy may have unknowingly contributed to the problems in reducing the appeal backlog at the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners by his appointment of the new member.

The current board regulations state the following:

Sec. 29-32b-2. Chairman

The Chairman of the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners serves as the presiding officer at meetings of the Board at which he is present. However, with respect to hearings of appeals, if said Chairman (1) is not present or (2) is not an attorney authorized to practice law in Connecticut, then a member of the Board who is both present and authorized to practice law in Connecticut shall act as Chairman of the Board during the hearing of an appeal.

(Effective May 1, 1975)

The fact that the newly appointed board member may NOT be "AUTHORIZED TO PRACTICE LAW IN CONNECTICUT" will prevent him from acting a Chairman during any hearings of appeals.

Our current Governor Dannel P. Malloy or his staff, could have found and appointed an attorney authorized to practice law in Connecticut who could have shared the authority to Chair additional hearings with Attorney Corradino. In the recent past, the board had two attorneys authorized to practice law in CT and made great strides in reducing the backlog.

Only time will tell how this plays out.

But the current research reveals that the new appointment may only continue the problem of holding more hearings to reduce the current backlog.

My hat is off to Chairman/Attorney Joseph Corradino, Secretary T. William Knapp and the other members of the board for their attempts to reduce the current backlog.

Much has changed since 2007.

Last edited:

KIX

When I found this out, I was not shocked. I had hopes, but not shocked.

I don't know if unknowingly applies, our Governor is a sneaky bastard.

Jonathan