Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Calling all computer guru's! (RE: Video Cards)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574

    Calling all computer guru's! (RE: Video Cards)

    So I'm looking to upgrade my video card, and I've been looking at EVGA because I've used them before and like them, but I found a good deal on an XFX card almost identical to the EVGA I was going to buy. However, I know nothing about XFX as a company, or video card maker.

    Anyone know anything about XFX?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,415
    XFX is just fine. I have one of their 260's in one of our systems here. It is a top tier manufacturer if that is your concern. Like every manufacturer though they do have more cost conscientious cards (i.e. Generic)

    Which one are you purchasing if I may ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post
    XFX is just fine. I have one of their 260's in one of our systems here. It is a top tier manufacturer if that is your concern. Like every manufacturer though they do have more cost conscientious cards (i.e. Generic)

    Which one are you purchasing if I may ask?
    Thanks for the info!

    I'm looking at this one. I don't need anything ridiculously awesome. Just something for mild gaming since the onboard graphics are utter trash.

    Also looking at this one and this one.


    EDIT: I just noticed I only have a 220W power supply. Which means none of these work unless I get a bigger PSU.

    So, how easy is it to change out a power supply? I'm working in an HP Slimline s5-1020 PC.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Oramac; 11-17-2011 at 07:05 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    155
    Have you checked Newegg.com or amazon? I tend not to purchase computer hardware from best buy.

    What is your current system setup? It's helpful to know, when choosing new components, to determine if everything is compatible.

    Sent from my HTC EVO

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait View Post
    Have you checked Newegg.com or amazon? I tend not to purchase computer hardware from best buy.

    What is your current system setup? It's helpful to know, when choosing new components, to determine if everything is compatible.

    Sent from my HTC EVO
    I've been shopping around on newegg, tigerdirect and best buy. If possible, I'd prefer to buy through BB since I get some profit-sharing through them.

    My PC is an HP Slimline s5-1020. Doesn't say below, but its a microATX 220W PSU. Specs are:

    Processor: Intel® Pentium® E6800 • 3.33 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB

    Chipset
    Intel G41

    Chassis Type
    Slimline

    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (2x 2GB)

    Storage: 1 TB SATA (7200 rpm)

    Optical drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner

    Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD (up to 1.65 GB)

    Slots:
    1 PCI-Express x16
    2 PCI Express x1
    1 MiniCard

    Dimensions and Weight
    Weight
    7.7 kg
    Dimensions (w x d x h)
    15.77 x 39.19 x 31.19 cm

  6. #6
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Ewww, when did you buy that?

    Posted using my HTC Evo
    Last edited by Jack House; 11-17-2011 at 11:12 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member rscottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ashland, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    613
    I have gotten good prices at http://www.tigerdirect.com

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Newegg has a 300W PSU that is sold as a replacement for the HP Slimlines, but the reviews all note that it's very loud (kinda defeats the purpose, if it's going in an HTPC-type system).

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Newegg has a 300W PSU that is sold as a replacement for the HP Slimlines, but the reviews all note that it's very loud (kinda defeats the purpose, if it's going in an HTPC-type system).
    Link? I looked, but I didn't see any 300+ PSU's that looked like they would fit inside the case. The PSU that's in this thing is long, flat and skinny.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    Thanks for the info!

    I'm looking at this one. I don't need anything ridiculously awesome. Just something for mild gaming since the onboard graphics are utter trash.

    Also looking at this one and this one.


    EDIT: I just noticed I only have a 220W power supply. Which means none of these work unless I get a bigger PSU.

    So, how easy is it to change out a power supply? I'm working in an HP Slimline s5-1020 PC.

    Thanks!
    You will want at least a 500 watt psu for those cards, check newegg.com they have good deals. I picked up a nvidia 580 for $200 as a special...

    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  11. #11
    Regular Member Baked on Grease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Va.
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    Link? I looked, but I didn't see any 300+ PSU's that looked like they would fit inside the case. The PSU that's in this thing is long, flat and skinny.
    Would it kill you to duct tape the psu outside the case? Or cut the case metal to fit a larger psu? Otherwise you have to contact the manufacturer of your pc to find psu's that fit

    Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

    "According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

    Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    Link? I looked, but I didn't see any 300+ PSU's that looked like they would fit inside the case. The PSU that's in this thing is long, flat and skinny.
    Sorry, I didn't have time to go back to the link when I posted that. Here you go:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817338042
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817338063

    I don't recommend them, I just happened to see them shortly before I read your post. I was looking for 300+W PSUs for Mini-ITX, because the only HDMI-out PCI video cards I can find require 300+ Watts. I just bought my first flat screen (46" Philips LCD), and I thought it would be nice to connect this spare box (Ubuntu, formerly Hackintosh) to one of the inputs, for viewing various InnerWebz stuff. The integrated GMA950 VGA graphics on the mobo just choke on any video over 480p. So, I was hunting for single-slot PCI cards with HDMI-out, literally minutes before I saw your post.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St Louis, Mo
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Sorry, I didn't have time to go back to the link when I posted that. Here you go:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817338042
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817338063

    I don't recommend them, I just happened to see them shortly before I read your post. I was looking for 300+W PSUs for Mini-ITX, because the only HDMI-out PCI video cards I can find require 300+ Watts. I just bought my first flat screen (46" Philips LCD), and I thought it would be nice to connect this spare box (Ubuntu, formerly Hackintosh) to one of the inputs, for viewing various InnerWebz stuff. The integrated GMA950 VGA graphics on the mobo just choke on any video over 480p. So, I was hunting for single-slot PCI cards with HDMI-out, literally minutes before I saw your post.
    I <3 you! Not sure how I missed those, but they should work perfectly! I don't need anything incredibly good, so long as it works right, so I'm comfortable with them.

    And Grease, that's what I'm doing now. Got a 300 W PSU I hijacked from another PC hooked up at the moment. I'd really prefer not to have the jury-rigged setup if I can avoid it though.
    Last edited by Oramac; 11-18-2011 at 04:32 PM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Your PSU should be gold cert if you're going to go with the bare minimum.

    Posted using my HTC Evo
    Last edited by Jack House; 11-18-2011 at 10:10 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Kotyaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ESVA
    Posts
    31
    Provided XFX still has the Double Lifetime Warranty.... Get it.

    Means you can buy bleeding-edge graphics goodies, and when you want to sell that card off in a year or so, you can get more for it since the next user gets a full warranty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •