• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Blacksburg/Virginia Tech

nuc65

Activist Member
Today I joined a cadre of others in the safest place on campus. I believe not a single bike was stolen and many pleasantries were exchanged. I will not expound on the rudeness of the anti's and the inane comments. I OC'd and stated many times that it was my belief that the right to choose whether or not to retain the means to defend yourself was an individual choice. But the right I am exercising should always be there for my children, your children, grandchildren and great-grand children to exercise.

I did not get in anybody's face to say this, I stated so when asked. I said good morning to all, and have a nice day to all. I believe only one instance in which the police exceeded their authority, in demanding that upon entering a building I must conceal and then demand I show id and CHP. I did so but I expressed my opinion that they were exceeding their authority. I spoke with a number of students who asked where the petition was. I mentioned that they sign 'the petition' every time they vote.

It was good to meet many people and see VCDL and hear the thought provoking speeches.

Last edited:

TFred

Does any current policy require you to conceal inside a building?

Would be interesting if you did not have a CHP. I'd love to watch you explain to the judge that you believed the LEO forced you to break the law, just so that they could ticket/arrest you for doing so.

TFred

wylde007

Does any current policy require you to conceal inside a building?
No, but Cuccinelli's opinion stated specifically that university policy could not prohibit someone with a CHP from carrying.

What it did NOT say, I believe, was that a person who had a CHP had to conceal.

AG opinions are VERY SPECIFICALLY (and, in my opinion, therefor very myopically) worded.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I walked right into the student center while OCing and used the restroom with no problem knowing there as no lawful prohibition on such act. When I came out of the restroom however a handful of VT police spotted me and called for me as I aproached and walkd out he door, knowing that if they're going to stop me I was going to make them do it outside in front of the crowd. Once outside I finally stopped to see what they wanted. At that point they told me I couldn't be in the building with my openly carried sidearm because it was their policy. I told them the attorney general's statement did not say the CHP holders were required to conceal and asked them if they had read the opinion. The answer was no. At no point did these guys ask for my CHP or even suggest that I needed a CHP to conceal there, although I'm sure they'd have arrested me for concealing wthout one.

The wifester however walked in to use the restroom and get something to drink twice while openly carying and not a word was said to her despite the fact that she had to walk past the same guys I did.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Both before and after the protest the three of us (nuc 65, myself and the wifester) walked through town OCing stopping by both Starbucks in the morning and Chipotle for lunch and of course we had no issue at all, not even any strange looks (and we're a strange bunch!)

While dining at Chipotle I overheard some folks behind us talking about gun laws and those same folks dropped by the table to chat when they wrapped up their meal. Both the young man and young woman were sidearm toters too and we chatted about the laws, the guns we have and carry and a bit about carrying at VT. There were a couple folks in there with anti-stickers but they minded their own business and nobody gave them the time of day.

Although not in Blacksburg, the wifester and I had dinner at our local Vinny's on Thursday night and we ended up chatting with a bunch of servers and some of the guests about our sidearms and brought them up to speed on the laws, especially with regard to ownership and carrying under age 21. None of them had any issue with guns and even the Californians there had them and carried (at least while they are outside of Cali). Once again OC reaches the masses and provides opportunities that CC never could! :)

Last edited:

Mickermack

So where are we now?

VT has a reg now if I'm not mistaken so an update would be nice. I understand this isn't legal advice etc but guys/gals on the forum are in the know. I'll obviously do more research. Assuming you're not faculty/staff/student (not illegal but you may get fired/expelled):

My understanding - you can carry openly anywhere outside on the VT campus except for events (sporting events/concerts on drill field etc).

You can't carry openly in any building, but you can carry concealed with a permit.

Unrelated question but good to know - there is no requirment to show ID or ID yourself in VA, correct? (This assumes you're not driving, concealed carrying, etc)

I live in Blacksburg and I've thought about outreach but I need to do extensive research and retain a 2A friendly atty just in case to feel comfortable. Any suggestions on an atty?

Thanks for your attention and patience with a noob.

Sesrun

VT has a reg now if I'm not mistaken so an update would be nice. I understand this isn't legal advice etc but guys/gals on the forum are in the know. I'll obviously do more research. Assuming you're not faculty/staff/student (not illegal but you may get fired/expelled):

My understanding - you can carry openly anywhere outside on the VT campus except for events (sporting events/concerts on drill field etc).

You can't carry openly in any building, but you can carry concealed with a permit.

Unrelated question but good to know - there is no requirment to show ID or ID yourself in VA, correct? (This assumes you're not driving, concealed carrying, etc)

I live in Blacksburg and I've thought about outreach but I need to do extensive research and retain a 2A friendly atty just in case to feel comfortable. Any suggestions on an atty?

IANAL & This is not legal advice...

By my reading of the regulation, no one (third party, employees, students, or volunteers) may carry concealed or openly in any academic, administrative, dinning, or residency building, nor may anyone carry at any "sporting, entertainment, or educational event" including "events on campus where people congregate in any public or outdoor areas" (8VAC105-20-20 & 8VAC105-20-10). The regulation also states that unauthoried possession will result in being asked to remove your weapon from university property and failure to comply may "result in a student conduct referral, an employee disciplinary action, or arrest."

Third parties may carry on university property outside of the restrictions stated above. Further exemptions are listed in 8VAC105-20-30 and 8VAC105-20-40.

Technically since VA is a Dillon Rule state and has no Stop & ID statue there are no founded local Stop & ID ordinances, however some localities have taken it upon themselves to pass unfounded Stop & ID ordinances. I did not find any Stop and ID ordinances in Blacksburg or Montgomery County Code (Assuming you are not driving, CCing, etc.).

FYI If you get down to Salem (Sec 58-23c) or Roanoke City (Sec 23-2) they do have Stop & ID ordinances.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Welcome to OCDO Mickermack.

A bit has changed in the year since this thread last had a post.

Va Tech now has a regulation in place. Guns may be carried by legal, honest persons on the grounds of VT, not in the buildings or while attending an "event." There is no stipulation as to OC or CC.

Students and staff are totally restricted anywhere on campus.
http://monachuslex.com/?p=410

There is no requirement to even talk to a LEO, but showing your ID and CHP if CCing when demanded is spelled out in the Code of Virginia § 18.2-308. The LEO having PC or RAS or not, will effect the duty to show the permit with state approved picture ID. Note that no ID or permit is dictated for OC.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

http://www.stellyvirginialaw.com/faqs/what-is-a-terry-stop.cfm

Mickermack

Stop and ID

Welcome to OCDO Mickermack.

Grape - if I remember right in my past lurking you're a vcdl guy. Weren't they looking for people to get stop and ID statues removed in localities? I wonder what happened in Salem/Roanoke City as mentioned above?