• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FFL transfers

Sorcice

1st question: What is the "usual" price for a FFL transfer if I buy a gun from the web? I'm sure they very but a good avg would be nice to know.
2nd: First backstory.. When I was 18 I was an armed guard in CA. However, since in CA you cannot buy a handgun until 21 only carry one(don't get me started) I had my aunt buy it and let me use it. Now the question. What goes into transferring the Firearm to my name now im in WI. Do I even need a FFL in that case? I was under the impression that private seller to private buyer bypassed that part of it. And since i'm not buying from her can I just have it changed to my name?

Last edited:

Sorcice

ok thanks, reason I ask is because I got stopped in CA for a ticket in uniform and he asked who it was registered too after seeing my Lic(18). Just don't want her to be liable for anything now I am of age(24). Officially its registered to her in CA.

Last edited:

touchdowntodd

registered to is funny ..

she gave it to you, its yours .. no paperwork needed .. same as buying FTF (although in both instances I would probably atleast make out a bill of sale)

ps - FFL transfer is like $20 long gun $25-30 handgun here

Sorcice

registered to is funny ..

she gave it to you, its yours .. no paperwork needed .. same as buying FTF (although in both instances I would probably atleast make out a bill of sale)

ps - FFL transfer is like $20 long gun $25-30 handgun here

thanks! And i'll get that bill of sale done :).

DangerClose

You might want to edit out that money part or make it clearer since someone who wants to give you a bad day could get confused and think you gave her money to buy it for you, which would make it a straw purchase and illegal.

She buys it with her own money and gives it to you as a gift -- no problem.

She buys it with her own money for herself then later decides she doesn't want it and sells or gives it to you -- no problem.

I guess another thing is that it's a good thing she gifted it to you while you were in California. Because, otherwise, if you are in a different state, the gun would have to be transferred at an FFL. There's not a big chance of getting a bad day on such things, but crossing t's and dotting i's means, even if family is involved, you can't just give or sell them hand guns if they reside in a different state, (other than a couple exemptions).

Actually, don't ALL gun transfers have to go through an FFL in California? That might be a question for the California forum.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Typical good FFL price around me is $20 long gun, $30 hand gun.

Last edited:

wild boar

You're neither left, or right now friend...

..., you in a state of beer farts, and cow ****. Welcome, and keep your powder dry. boar out.

Last edited:

bluehighways

1st question: What is the "usual" price for a FFL transfer if I buy a gun from the web? I'm sure they very but a good avg would be nice to know.
2nd: First backstory.. When I was 18 I was an armed guard in CA. However, since in CA you cannot buy a handgun until 21 only carry one(don't get me started) I had my aunt buy it and let me use it. Now the question. What goes into transferring the Firearm to my name now im in WI. Do I even need a FFL in that case? I was under the impression that private seller to private buyer bypassed that part of it. And since i'm not buying from her can I just have it changed to my name?

IF:

1) you are 21 years of age or older
2) are not a felon
3) are not barred by court order from possessing a firearm (domestic violence, bat-$h!t crazy, hooked on smack, etc.)

Than you may:

4) own a firearm in Wisconsin.

There is no gun registration in Wisconsin.

Again: 21 years or older -- Non felon -- Not a nutjob or a wifebeater... Good to go.

Hope I didn't leave anything out. If I did, someone will correct me shortly.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

IF:

1) you are 21 years of age or older
2) are not a felon
3) are not barred by court order from possessing a firearm (domestic violence, bat-$h!t crazy, hooked on smack, etc.)

Than you may:

4) own a firearm in Wisconsin.

There is no gun registration in Wisconsin.

Again: 21 years or older -- Non felon -- Not a nutjob or a wifebeater... Good to go.

Hope I didn't leave anything out. If I did, someone will correct me shortly.

For owning, its 18 not 21. buying a handgun is 21.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
If it's a 1911, you have to give it to me. Hang on, I'll find the cite somewhere around here.......

Oh, wait, just checked my email. Looks like my law didn't find support anywhere outside my house...... :banghead:

Welcome to WI!