• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal (national) CCW Reciprocity Bill and it's impact on HI

zekester

national ccw recip

According what I have read, if you cannot get a permit in your own state, you will not beable to CCW with a permit from another, if you live in the state. Meaning...if you cannot get a permit in HI (for whatever reason), just because you can get one from FL...doesn't count.

States still have their own restrictions as far as the people that are considered residences of the state, if for some reason you cannot recieve a permit in your state, other permits will not be valid.

That said, as resident of Missouri, they cannot refuse my permit.

Senate has not voted on this Bill, and there is a big push from the left for Obama to veto, if it does pass. If it should pass, it will never pass muster with SCOTUS. 10th Admen.

Not to worry though, there is another Bill that does pass muster and should be up for vote soon in the house, but the same restrictions will apply.

Last edited:

gs5150

Fingers crossed

I would suspect HI, NJ, MD, etc to have a knee jerk repealing their CC law response, but wether the response would pass is another thing. Then you have the Federal lawsuit that is presently going on in IL (which has no provision for any carry). If this legal action prevails, it is very likely that IL will end up with constitutional carry, both OC and CC imposed on them by the supreme court.

It is very likely the other state legislatures may wait until that suit is settled law before they act, and as long as that will take, they may forget about it all along anyway. The reason they may wait is because they do not want the possibility of being saddled with court imposed constitutional carry.

I sure hope you're right on IL. ending up with constitutional carry for OC/CC imposed by the Supreme Court. In the mean time I guess it's "Hurry up and wait"...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Well, if Abercrombie and Kealoha don't notice it first (and publically announce it or take steps to get around it) maybe the people will notice there's been a change in the status-quo the first time local TV or the Star Advertiser report that a "tourist" took out his/her CC handgun and blew away some Wakiki street-trash mugger -- and it was perfectly legal. How shocking would that be?

Story at 6:00 and video at 10... ;-)

If it DOES pass and tourists CAN carry, then a whole lot of HPD cops will sure be getting used to a reality completely new to them. I hope their getting used to (some) citizens carrying goes without incident, even if the number of criminals getting shot increases somewhat sharply.

Of course, it's not law yet so we may be engaging in wishful thinking only...

Last edited:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
If it DOES pass and tourists CAN carry, then a whole lot of HPD cops will sure be getting used to a reality completely new to them.

And if they don't get used to it, or receive proper training, then they'll go and do something real stupid and find themselves, their police department, and their municipality on the receiving end of multiple lawsuits.

samaloney2006

CCw

According what I have read, if you cannot get a permit in your own state, you will not beable to CCW with a permit from another, if you live in the state. Meaning...if you cannot get a permit in HI (for whatever reason), just because you can get one from FL...doesn't count.

States still have their own restrictions as far as the people that are considered residences of the state, if for some reason you cannot recieve a permit in your state, other permits will not be valid.

That said, as resident of Missouri, they cannot refuse my permit.

Senate has not voted on this Bill, and there is a big push from the left for Obama to veto, if it does pass. If it should pass, it will never pass muster with SCOTUS. 10th Admen.

Not to worry though, there is another Bill that does pass muster and should be up for vote soon in the house, but the same restrictions will apply.

I really have to agree with zekester about the permits. My wife and I come from Washington State and moved here about 10 years ago. My wife became a "citizen" of Hawaii several years ago. I have not and will not become a "citizen" of Hawaii for the very reasons zekester mentions. I am still a citizen in Washington State. I have explained this to many friends (Hawaiian friends) included. I can legally carry concealed in 36 states and open carry I do not know how many but several more I am sure. Of course in Hawaii I cannot do either. So if the bill ever gets signed by the president (good luck on that one) I will be able to carry in Hawaii even though I live here part time (technically)because I have a duplex rental in Washington and I vote there. I really felt that someday this would come. Good luck to all and write your Senators (of course you know how they will vote)!!!