• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New CPL Law Changes

enjr4

:question:

Changes to RCW 9.41.070 were put into effect on July, 22, 2011. It changed the way a background check was conducted for issuing a WA CPL.
In paragraph (2) (a) the issuing authority will now "conduct a check through the national instant criminal background check system" and I have a question about implementation.

I have a current WA CPL and whenever I purchase a handgun and they do the NICS check I am put on delay status (not denied). The FFL dealer never gets a call back (nothing comes back from NICS ever). The time limit just expires and I am allowed to buy the gun. They do this each and every time.

How will the issuing authority handle this "delay" when I renew my current CPL?

Anyone know?
Ed

Brimstone Baritone

It would depend on whether the state is May issue or Shall issue, I would think. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems that if the state is Shall issue they would need firm grounds for denying the permit. An actual reason, or evidence that you were not a suitable person to be armed.

You would probably get the best answer from someone in the Washington forum. Just keep scrolling down on the main forum page, and you'll find it.

waterfowl woody

your permit comes in the mail about 2 weeks after you turn in your paper work anyways. As of the wait for a gun, that may be because your name is a common one and which I have seen people wait to purchase a pistol with a permit. Luck of the draw I guess? I have never had an issue with my checks and walk out with a pistol the day of purchase.

Beretta92FSLady

To the OP, don't write on the document for purchase, your social security number, and see what that might do. You can leave your social security number off the document. For some odd reason I was denied, then left my social security number off the document the following purchase, and was not denied.

aadvark

enjr4:

It would Appear as if Your 'DELAY' Response from The Federal Bureau of Investigation Query of The National Instant Criminal System is due to Your Name or Information being Similiar to, but not Nessecarily The Same as, another Person who is Identified under that Index as being 'PROHIBITED'.

Therefore, The only Way to have This Removed is to Challenge those Records Directly, under a NICS Appeal, to PRevent furhter Misunderstandings between Yourself and another Individual.

However, once a State Concealed Weapons Permit, Concealed Pistol Permit, etc., by whatever Name Your State Calls it, is Issued, then it may or may not Qualify as an Alternative to The Check.

Information for Appeal can be found here: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-appeals-process/to-complete-process2

Information for as to Whether or not Your States' Permit Qualifies as for a NICS Alternative, otherwise known as a 922(t) Exception, can be found here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/brady-law/permit-chart.html

aadvark