Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weapon when you sleep

weapon when you sleep

Please help if you can.
    Over the years I've found when I'm sleeping in bed that I either up shoving my weapon off the bed if weapon started under my pillow. When on bed side stand I sometimes knock it off onto floor. When I had weapon in clip on holster with old belt around bedpost seems most practicble for me. But I'm still not in love with it.
    I want my weapon in arms reach, but there has got to be a better way. What works best for you??
    Any ideas??

2 Guns

I leave my Sig in the holster and set it on the night stand next to the bed. It is at eye level, in the holster, pointing away from me. Thus it is in a very natural position to just grab.

However, what I really expect to use if I have a middle of the night noise/intruder alert is a 12ga shotgun that is in the nearest closet leaning in the corner of that closet. The reason is, when I am awakened abruptly at 3am, my body is still groggy and my motor functions are not at 100% for a few minutes. Therefore a shotgun, with 00 buck allows me some leeway in my 'aiming' at any intruder. I have an inexpensive Chinese (Norinco) short barrel self-defense shotgun that remains in the closet. At less than $200, it works great (A knock off of the Remington 870), yet if stolen I am not out much money.
    Live Free or Die!

I keep my PT92 9mm cocked and locked, but I keep it in the top drawer of the nightstand next to my bed while sleeping.

It is still within an arm's length reach, but I do not have to be concerned about knocking it off the nightstand, and I have to be awake enough and aware enough of my surroundings to open the drawer and withdraw the pistol should a home invasion occur. Hopefully, the extra few seconds it takes to do this will enable me to gather my faculties a little better after awakening from sleep.

I would be apprehensive about sleeping with a handgun underneath my pillow, but that's just a personal preference of mine.
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-17-2011 at 10:54 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

my M&P stays in one of those gunvaults with the four finger button combo, but what i expect to use, much like gogo, is my 12 GA, that i put under the bed right before i go to sleep, loaded with 7 1/2 to hopefully avoid over penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Justman1020 View Post
    my M&P stays in one of those gunvaults with the four finger button combo, but what i expect to use, much like gogo, is my 12 GA, that i put under the bed right before i go to sleep, loaded with 7 1/2 to hopefully avoid over penetration.
    I've also got a gunvault for my handguns (as I have small children). My 12 ga is in the safe in the closet. I don't have close neighbors so mine's loaded with 00 buck like Gogo. The mini 14 is also ready to go, in the safe with the shotty. Just in case.

ZOMBIES!
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

A weapon on the bed, seems to interfere with my social agenda.
    I have a holster attached to the back side of the headboard.
    Le Fem need not never know its there.
    I recently bought a strobe light for it. IMHO, nothing disorientates
    better than a strobe. You can move out of the way, change locations and
    the perp will be blind to your movements.
    First off, BG has to get past my dog.
    I also have a driveway alarm.

I keep mine in one of these.

It slides in between the mattress and the box spring. It came with velcro to help lock it in place. It works well!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

On the desk next to my bed, holstered. 20+ more guns on the other side of the room.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Here is one option...

Top flap pinched between your mattress and box spring.

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepi...arent=171&pg=1

Be sure to watch the video.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 11-18-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    I have a tall 3 shelved nightstand next to the bed. Top shelf has the light, clock and a spare mag. Middle shelf has magazines, and under that is the shelf with the flashlight and .45. Easy and quick to get to, but not obvious.

I am impressed with the mattress holster as shown by thebigsd. Where did you source that?
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

'Nuff said.

"The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post

It slides in between the mattress and the box spring. It came with velcro to help lock it in place. It works well!
    Something like this works great as long as you don't forget it's there and bump your knee on it when returning from a middle of the night "relief trip".

One only has to do this once to remember it's there. Likewise for those little casters on the bed frame that attack feet in the middle of the night
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I leave my Sig in the holster and set it on the night stand next to the bed. It is at eye level, in the holster, pointing away from me. Thus it is in a very natural position to just grab.

However, what I really expect to use if I have a middle of the night noise/intruder alert is a 12ga shotgun that is in the nearest closet leaning in the corner of that closet. The reason is, when I am awakened abruptly at 3am, my body is still groggy and my motor functions are not at 100% for a few minutes. Therefore a shotgun, with 00 buck allows me some leeway in my 'aiming' at any intruder. I have an inexpensive Chinese (Norinco) short barrel self-defense shotgun that remains in the closet. At less than $200, it works great (A knock off of the Remington 870), yet if stolen I am not out much money.
    Same thing here minus the shot gun. Don't subscribe too much to the shotgun cone of death mindset many people have toward shotguns, you still need to aim that thing!
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

I keep a mossberg 12 gauge under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    Same thing here minus the shot gun. Don't subscribe too much to the shotgun cone of death mindset many people have toward shotguns, you still need to aim that thing!
    I agree you still need to aim a shotgun, but with a wider pattern, it will place more damage on a BG and as long as your not going too heavy of shot, there can be minimal over penetration.

Youngest kid is 19 and moved out.
    I keep whatever weapon I was wearing when I go to bed on my nightstand. Sweet Baboo has a Nylon shoulder holster w/straps removed between box and mattress. I lets her slide the weapon in without sticking out. I have the 12G by the door w/rubber buckshot (judge, I swear I did not mean to kill him). If you are using a shotgun for home defense, take a look at distances of contacts in your house. Then take your 12G to the range and see what kind of pattern you get. You may be surprised at how close groups are.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I got a queen sized bed, so I usually put mine underneath the pillow next to me, pointed away from my head, in my holster.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post

Excellent! If no kids in the house, I think this is ideal. Better than above the head of the bed because positioned properly you can reach it without apparent movement and shoot the BG from under the covers.

I think it's key that you make as little movement as possible and be able to access a positive grip in the dark. If you have to lift up, turn and reach behind in your headboard shelving area, or access a safe and stuff it 1) takes too darn long and 2) it can be detected by the BG. If the BG is sitting on top of you you can still reach him. Just be sure and sleep on the side of the bed that permits your strong arm to reach it (lying on your back)...and so forth.
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 11-18-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd1981 View Post
    I keep a mossberg 12 gauge under the bed.

I agree you still need to aim a shotgun, but with a wider pattern, it will place more damage on a BG and as long as your not going too heavy of shot, there can be minimal over penetration.
    Putting some "fact" up against the fallacy of a shotgun truly being a scattergun, here is some documentation

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot20.htm

At 12', which is considered "across the room" distance, the largest pattern in their test was 4" for buckshot.

These tests were from a Mossberg Maverick with no choke (cylinder bore). Considering barrel length restrictions for a legal shotgun this is a fair test for the typical House Gun.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Colt 38 revolver, on the nightstand, in holster, Win 1897 loaded with #6 bird shot, (or unpopped popcorn), leaning in corner by door, CZ85 in holster on desk, and a very allert dachshund the girls gave their mom. (our Doberman died)

Only problem with the dachshund is snow sliding off the roof is an "alert" for him...now if I can only train him to ignore that snow...

No kids here, and even when friends or family visit with kids, I lock the door to my bedroom. I tend to just take off what I am carrying and put it on my nightstand, and in the case that I forget, I also keep my shoulder rig (which always has another weapon in it) hanging on the bedpost that way if needed I can grab the whole rig, spare ammo and flashlight all at once. The wife keeps a 1911 in the night stand drawer, and there is also a .30-30 on my side of the bed just in case the SHTF. I also have a large scary dog to contend with that roams the house if all else fails...

I actually just threw this together last week. It took about 30 minutes to build. 2 scrap pieces of wood, and old Fobus holster, and some screws. Cost $0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	7430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	7431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	7432  

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    I've also got a gunvault for my handguns (as I have small children).
    X2 on the handguns in the gunvault, no rifle safe yet but all the rifles and shotguns are on the rack with trigger locks.

You can aim it 'less' when awakened in the middle of the night. In addition, my shotgun, with 00buck will go through a corner, while my handgun loaded with self defense ammo is designed not to penetrate through dry wall.
    Live Free or Die!

I keep a Sig 1911 Target w/ night sights loaded with Hornady Critical Defense in the top drawer of my nightstand, a H&K USP9c in the bottom drawer, and a Mossberg 500A loaded with PDX1 in between the nightstand and bed. Wife keeps a Taurus 24/7 .40 loaded with Hydra-Shoks with her.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast