• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

weapon when you sleep

MadHatter66

No kids here, and even when friends or family visit with kids, I lock the door to my bedroom. I tend to just take off what I am carrying and put it on my nightstand, and in the case that I forget, I also keep my shoulder rig (which always has another weapon in it) hanging on the bedpost that way if needed I can grab the whole rig, spare ammo and flashlight all at once. The wife keeps a 1911 in the night stand drawer, and there is also a .30-30 on my side of the bed just in case the SHTF. I also have a large scary dog to contend with that roams the house if all else fails...

Sharpender

I actually just threw this together last week. It took about 30 minutes to build. 2 scrap pieces of wood, and old Fobus holster, and some screws. Cost $0

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 109

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Same thing here minus the shot gun. Don't subscribe too much to the shotgun cone of death mindset many people have toward shotguns, you still need to aim that thing!

You can aim it 'less' when awakened in the middle of the night. In addition, my shotgun, with 00buck will go through a corner, while my handgun loaded with self defense ammo is designed not to penetrate through dry wall.

decklin

I keep a Sig 1911 Target w/ night sights loaded with Hornady Critical Defense in the top drawer of my nightstand, a H&K USP9c in the bottom drawer, and a Mossberg 500A loaded with PDX1 in between the nightstand and bed. Wife keeps a Taurus 24/7 .40 loaded with Hydra-Shoks with her.

carry for myself

Keep whatever I'm carrying on the floor next to the bed. That way even if the bg sees me before I see him, I can flop over all sleepy and still get fingers on steel without him noticing. On a bedside rack I have a romanian ak with a folding stock , just incase .

SovereignAxe

I've come to the realization that putting your gun (if it's your carry weapon) in the same place every night is very important. I don't have a nightstand, or space for one, so I keep my Walther on my computer desk which is just a few feet away from my bed. Not only that, but I keep it in the same place in the same position every time so that I can just throw my hand on the desk and grab it.

If for whatever reason I don't want to go across the room, or need more firepower, I have my Ruger Blackhawk .357 sitting atop the washer/dryer in the closet next to my bed (a strange location, I know, but I have a strange floor plan).

Whenever I'm at home and not carrying them, these two weapons stay in the same place all the time, so that I can pick them up even if it's pitch black in the room. But to answer your question...well, I can't without knowing the layout of your home, the type of furniture you have, the position of your bed, etc. So you may end up having to store the weapon out of arms reach. I wouldn't say that's a terrible thing. First off, you'd be amazed at how ungroggy you can be immediately after waking up when you think you're in an emergency situation. Second, if you're in a situation in your own home where you don't have enough time to jump halfway across the room, you've probably been caught by surprise and have lost the battle before you even woke up.

I'm sure I'll take some flak for suggesting putting your HD weapon out of arm's reach, but I'd be willing to bet that I could be out of bed, over to my desk (less than 10' away), and weapon at the ready just ask quick as it would take someone to open a drawer. What's going to quicken your response more than anything is consistently keeping it in the same place every night and knowing exactly have to grab it in the dark. A gun in a familiar place across the room is going to be quicker to ready than a gun in an unfamiliar place under or next to your bed.

.45ACPaddy

Gun in holster under the pillow next to me.

It's always in the exact same place when I wake up, as when I went to sleep. I won't fire unless I see the intruder.

WinchesterModel12

I keep my 1911 in the opened dresser drawer, S&W 357 on the dresser and another S&W 357 on the nightstand, all arms reach away. The 12G is in the closet loaded with #4 buckshot.

ghosthunter

Always a Judge with PDX & LC in my bottom pillow case. My everyday carry in top dresser drawer 3ft away (Sigma 9mm). .410 shotgun over closet door, 38 special in open safe bottom of night stand. And I wake up fast. With my work I am direct conect 24/7. I get all kinds of questions at oh dark 100.

aktion

Bubble gun loaded with eye-stinging bubble bath solution, not that 'sensitive on the eyes' garbage.

You'd have to break into my house to find out what I have, in what condition, and where. As another poster said, it all depends on your layout, weapon(s), etc. It is interesting that having the weapon located and oriented in the same fashion all the time has been noted, I agree with that approach. Having several weapons about with different actions/conditions seems to march right back a couple steps though, from the standpoint of muscle memory. I don't subscribe to the 'shotgun is the best home defense weapon' school of thought, either.

FMCDH

Bubble gun loaded with eye-stinging bubble bath solution, not that 'sensitive on the eyes' garbage.

You'd have to break into my house to find out what I have, in what condition, and where. As another poster said, it all depends on your layout, weapon(s), etc. It is interesting that having the weapon located and oriented in the same fashion all the time has been noted, I agree with that approach. Having several weapons about with different actions/conditions seems to march right back a couple steps though, from the standpoint of muscle memory. I don't subscribe to the 'shotgun is the best home defense weapon' school of thought, either.

Well said and amen.

I prefer the mixture of woman's perfumed bubble bath combined with the cheapest vinegar. If that doesn't fend them off, the search dogs will have no troubles finding them after they flee. ;)

DCKilla

I have 3 kids that are 5 and under. So, keeping a firearm on my night stand or in the corner is not an option. It's up and out of the kids' reach. What helps is my dog. She'll bark well in advance to give me time to grab the 12ga.

ncwabbit

wasp spray...

if you have those in your home u wish to keep from handling your firearm, children, elderly, etc., keep a can of wasp spray next to the bed. shoots > 20 feet and will slow some BG down long enough to allow you to get to your firearm lock box, or other high up hidey hole you have stuck your firearm in for safe keeping.

additionally, if, by chance, you get caught unawares by a BG they won't have your firearm lying next to your bed on the nightstand to use against you.

wabbit

tombrewster421

if you have those in your home u wish to keep from handling your firearm, children, elderly, etc., keep a can of wasp spray next to the bed. shoots > 20 feet and will slow some BG down long enough to allow you to get to your firearm lock box, or other high up hidey hole you have stuck your firearm in for safe keeping.

additionally, if, by chance, you get caught unawares by a BG they won't have your firearm lying next to your bed on the nightstand to use against you.

wabbit

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want my kids to get ahold of a can of wasp spray either. ;)

Jeff Hayes

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want my kids to get ahold of a can of wasp spray either. ;)

My heathens when they were younger would have used it on each other, LOL.

Not sure I would trust wasp spray with my life. If you miss with wasp spray it males a little hissing sound, my 12 ga makes a real big boom noise so does the 10 mm so even if you miss the BG knows you mean business with wasp spray they may not even notice. Just my .02 worth.

MadHatter66

You could just install a oxygen depletion system. Make the bedroom an air tight panic room with a dedicated O2 supply. Then install a CO2 dump system and tie it to the burg alarm like a halon fire system... break in; become unconscious from lack of oxygen :):monkey