• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

weapon when you sleep

pat

Please help if you can.
Over the years I've found when I'm sleeping in bed that I either up shoving my weapon off the bed if weapon started under my pillow. When on bed side stand I sometimes knock it off onto floor. When I had weapon in clip on holster with old belt around bedpost seems most practicble for me. But I'm still not in love with it.
I want my weapon in arms reach, but there has got to be a better way. What works best for you??
Any ideas??

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
2 Guns

I leave my Sig in the holster and set it on the night stand next to the bed. It is at eye level, in the holster, pointing away from me. Thus it is in a very natural position to just grab.

However, what I really expect to use if I have a middle of the night noise/intruder alert is a 12ga shotgun that is in the nearest closet leaning in the corner of that closet. The reason is, when I am awakened abruptly at 3am, my body is still groggy and my motor functions are not at 100% for a few minutes. Therefore a shotgun, with 00 buck allows me some leeway in my 'aiming' at any intruder. I have an inexpensive Chinese (Norinco) short barrel self-defense shotgun that remains in the closet. At less than $200, it works great (A knock off of the Remington 870), yet if stolen I am not out much money.

MilProGuy

I keep my PT92 9mm cocked and locked, but I keep it in the top drawer of the nightstand next to my bed while sleeping.

It is still within an arm's length reach, but I do not have to be concerned about knocking it off the nightstand, and I have to be awake enough and aware enough of my surroundings to open the drawer and withdraw the pistol should a home invasion occur. Hopefully, the extra few seconds it takes to do this will enable me to gather my faculties a little better after awakening from sleep.

I would be apprehensive about sleeping with a handgun underneath my pillow, but that's just a personal preference of mine.

Last edited:

Justman1020

my M&P stays in one of those gunvaults with the four finger button combo, but what i expect to use, much like gogo, is my 12 GA, that i put under the bed right before i go to sleep, loaded with 7 1/2 to hopefully avoid over penetration.

tombrewster421

my M&P stays in one of those gunvaults with the four finger button combo, but what i expect to use, much like gogo, is my 12 GA, that i put under the bed right before i go to sleep, loaded with 7 1/2 to hopefully avoid over penetration.

I've also got a gunvault for my handguns (as I have small children). My 12 ga is in the safe in the closet. I don't have close neighbors so mine's loaded with 00 buck like Gogo. The mini 14 is also ready to go, in the safe with the shotty. Just in case. ;)

ZOMBIES!

skyisfalling

A weapon on the bed, seems to interfere with my social agenda.
I have a holster attached to the back side of the headboard.
Le Fem need not never know its there.
I recently bought a strobe light for it. IMHO, nothing disorientates
better than a strobe. You can move out of the way, change locations and
the perp will be blind to your movements.
First off, BG has to get past my dog.
I also have a driveway alarm.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I keep mine in one of these.

ad494d13-dd5e-0c5c.jpg

ad494d13-dd6f-2e00.jpg

It slides in between the mattress and the box spring. It came with velcro to help lock it in place. It works well!

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I have a tall 3 shelved nightstand next to the bed. Top shelf has the light, clock and a spare mag. Middle shelf has magazines, and under that is the shelf with the flashlight and .45. Easy and quick to get to, but not obvious.

I am impressed with the mattress holster as shown by thebigsd. Where did you source that?

amlevin

ad494d13-dd5e-0c5c.jpg

ad494d13-dd6f-2e00.jpg

It slides in between the mattress and the box spring. It came with velcro to help lock it in place. It works well!

Something like this works great as long as you don't forget it's there and bump your knee on it when returning from a middle of the night "relief trip".

One only has to do this once to remember it's there. Likewise for those little casters on the bed frame that attack feet in the middle of the night;)

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I leave my Sig in the holster and set it on the night stand next to the bed. It is at eye level, in the holster, pointing away from me. Thus it is in a very natural position to just grab.

However, what I really expect to use if I have a middle of the night noise/intruder alert is a 12ga shotgun that is in the nearest closet leaning in the corner of that closet. The reason is, when I am awakened abruptly at 3am, my body is still groggy and my motor functions are not at 100% for a few minutes. Therefore a shotgun, with 00 buck allows me some leeway in my 'aiming' at any intruder. I have an inexpensive Chinese (Norinco) short barrel self-defense shotgun that remains in the closet. At less than $200, it works great (A knock off of the Remington 870), yet if stolen I am not out much money.

Same thing here minus the shot gun. Don't subscribe too much to the shotgun cone of death mindset many people have toward shotguns, you still need to aim that thing!

Jayd1981

I keep a mossberg 12 gauge under the bed.

Same thing here minus the shot gun. Don't subscribe too much to the shotgun cone of death mindset many people have toward shotguns, you still need to aim that thing!

I agree you still need to aim a shotgun, but with a wider pattern, it will place more damage on a BG and as long as your not going too heavy of shot, there can be minimal over penetration.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Youngest kid is 19 and moved out.
I keep whatever weapon I was wearing when I go to bed on my nightstand. Sweet Baboo has a Nylon shoulder holster w/straps removed between box and mattress. I lets her slide the weapon in without sticking out. I have the 12G by the door w/rubber buckshot (judge, I swear I did not mean to kill him). If you are using a shotgun for home defense, take a look at distances of contacts in your house. Then take your 12G to the range and see what kind of pattern you get. You may be surprised at how close groups are.

Badger Johnson

Excellent! If no kids in the house, I think this is ideal. Better than above the head of the bed because positioned properly you can reach it without apparent movement and shoot the BG from under the covers.

I think it's key that you make as little movement as possible and be able to access a positive grip in the dark. If you have to lift up, turn and reach behind in your headboard shelving area, or access a safe and stuff it 1) takes too darn long and 2) it can be detected by the BG. If the BG is sitting on top of you you can still reach him. Just be sure and sleep on the side of the bed that permits your strong arm to reach it (lying on your back)...and so forth.

Last edited:

amlevin

I keep a mossberg 12 gauge under the bed.

I agree you still need to aim a shotgun, but with a wider pattern, it will place more damage on a BG and as long as your not going too heavy of shot, there can be minimal over penetration.

Putting some "fact" up against the fallacy of a shotgun truly being a scattergun, here is some documentation

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot20.htm

At 12', which is considered "across the room" distance, the largest pattern in their test was 4" for buckshot.

These tests were from a Mossberg Maverick with no choke (cylinder bore). Considering barrel length restrictions for a legal shotgun this is a fair test for the typical House Gun.

hermannr

Colt 38 revolver, on the nightstand, in holster, Win 1897 loaded with #6 bird shot, (or unpopped popcorn), leaning in corner by door, CZ85 in holster on desk, and a very allert dachshund the girls gave their mom. (our Doberman died)

Only problem with the dachshund is snow sliding off the roof is an "alert" for him...now if I can only train him to ignore that snow...