• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have I lost my rights to own guns??

Badger Johnson

Just to be safe, before contacting the PO, I'd:

1. Remove your guns from the home and store them (safely) at a relative's house.

2. If/when asked, say you 'plan to acquire...';

You don't want to risk them sending someone over and finding she already violated her terms (if they do, indeed, say no guns in the house).

$.02

Cobra469

Just to be safe, before contacting the PO, I'd:

1. Remove your guns from the home and store them (safely) at a relative's house.

2. If/when asked, say you 'plan to acquire...';

You don't want to risk them sending someone over and finding she already violated her terms (if they do, indeed, say no guns in the house).

$.02

+1

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sweet baby Xenu on the proverbial pogo stick! What a load of misinformation.

The OP has not lost their RKBA, but their roommate did.

The roommate needs to avoid a charge of constructive possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, let alone actual possession. That means either the roommate moves or the OP does stuff* to prevent the roommate from being able to constructively posses the firearm(s).

The OP also needs to avoid handing a firearm to the roommate.

stay safe.

* Stuff like having a room (or closet) with a padlocked door in which all firearms not under the immediate physical control (in a holster on yoir body or in your hand) are stored and the roommate not having access to the padlock key. Or a gun safe to which the roommate does not have the key/combination. Keeping the key on your person instead of storing it in a drawer.

Please call G. Gordon Liddy's wife for more ideas on how to live with both a felon and your own firearms.

flb_78

It depends on what the probation terms are.

The terms could have a no firearms in the house clause in it. My sister's did and my father had to store all the guns at a friend's house until she moved out on her own.

Once the probation is over, it would revert back to the no possession/access law.

My advise, someone needs to pack up and move.

SFCRetired

I'd rather move, than be forced to secure my guns, and live with a drunkard. Maybe thats just me?

Nope, it's not just you. Thank goodness I am no longer in such a situation, but I had both a drunkard/drug addict and a convicted felon living under my roof at one time. I would never, ever again allow myself to be in such a situation.

OP, you need to follow some of the advice given here about temporarily moving your guns until you can get clarification on her status. I would contact a lawyer first and let them handle the details with the PO. As has been stated here many times, do not ask the police for legal advice.

Personally, I'd be giving my completely irresponsible room mate a deadline by which to be moved or face eviction.

Mercurymark25

Thank you all for your comments- there was no probation time given on this case, therfore no PO. to ask.
you all have given me a lot to think about and please please continue to comment. thank you very much ---this has really frazzled me to the bone, and thank you. each time someone writes it gives me more to think about so that I can ask the right questions-- I can't make a mistake on this, not only for her but aiding and abetting for me is very serious too. please continue...

Horseman

Let's go back to the obvious. Who is responsible for this situation? The roommate is. Who should be asking these questions of her PO? She should be. Who will suffer if she doesn't get this worked out and gets charged as a felon in possession? She will. Give her a deadline to have all this worked out (option A) if you are feeling generous, or tell her to move out (option B). Don't be an enabler. Tough love is what you do for a friend.

Phoenix David

Evict her. Unless this is a roommate with benefits situation it's not worth the trouble. She will continue to make bad decision until she kills herself and hopefuly will not take others with her, but they usualy do.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It depends on what the probation terms are.

The terms could have a no firearms in the house clause in it. My sister's did and my father had to store all the guns at a friend's house until she moved out on her own.

Once the probation is over, it would revert back to the no possession/access law.

My advise, someone needs to pack up and move.

Just to be pedantic about the matter - your sister had a condition of not having firearms where she lived. Your father agreed to store his firearms with a friend until his daughter moved. There was nothing "forcing" or "requiring" your father to do that. He apparently cared enough for/about his daughter to move his guns. Other folks might have packed up their kid's belongings and put them on the sidewalk.

More being pedantic - misdemeanants get probation; felons get parole. Misdemeanats might have restrictiuons on firearm possession while on probation but do not lose RKBA due to a misdemeanor conviction; felons lose RKBA.

stay safe.

rodbender

She's got to go.

When my brother was up for parole, his case worker stopped by because he really wanted to stay with me. I told him "no" because I had too many guns and didn't cherish the thought of having to keep them locked up at all times. I also said that I didn't want him to go back to prison for a gun lying around, and I certainly didn't want to get in trouble for leaving it lying around.

I had answered the door with .45 in hand because I didn't know who he was or even that he was stopping by. We talked about an hour and he understood exactly where I was coming from.

I would not give up my guns for somebody that has a record of making bad and stupid decisions. It will happen again.