Thread: Question for Yellow Cat

Question for Yellow Cat

Once I get the Utah CCW, does that mean I can purchase a firearm (pistol) in Utah with out being a state resident?
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

No.
    The only way you can legally obtain a handgun in a state in which you are not a resident is by gift.
    That's federal law.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Thats what I thought. Hypothetically with the license it wouldn't be a straw purchase if a resident purchased one because the buyer would have knowledge that I can legally posses and purchase a firearm? I don't have any plans to visit Utah or to purchase a firearm in any other state, but would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    No.
    The only way you can legally obtain a handgun in a state in which you are not a resident is by gift.
    That's federal law.
    MKEgal is correct.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

I thought you could buy from a private seller. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that resident requirement only apply to FFL dealers? I know shipping can only be done between FFL dealers or from yourself to yourself. But in person sales I thought was different. If I am wrong I better cancel that new addition I am supposed to pickup next week in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra469 View Post
    I thought you could buy from a private seller. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that resident requirement only apply to FFL dealers? I know shipping can only be done between FFL dealers or from yourself to yourself. But in person sales I thought was different. If I am wrong I better cancel that new addition I am supposed to pickup next week in Georgia.
    The original post dealt with a Utah situation. In Utah, private transactions are just that - private. The in-state requirement, at least dealing with the hypothetical handgun purchase in Utah, deals with FFL dealers.
    Last edited by jpm84092; 11-18-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Clarification
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra469 View Post
    I thought each state was different. Illinois allows for FTF sales, but only to other residents with a FOID (nothing to cite, just what my friend who lives there was telling me. I was admiring his 1911 but would have to FFL to get it). I know you can't purchase from Dealer without the FFL (per federal) but aren't the FTF laws exempt if that state allows?
    Last edited by TaurusToter; 11-18-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    The original post dealt with a Utah situation. In Utah, private transactions are just that - private. The in-state requirement, at least dealing with the hypothetical handgun purchase in Utah, deals with FFL dealers.
    SO in Utah a non-resident can buy from a private party but not an FFL. Ok. That is what I thought was said in class but since the OP didn't state whether it was a private party or FFL I got a little confused.

Yellow Cat mentioned that Utah's CCW carriers are exempt from the manditory wait period because they have the license. I just had a thought that if I was BCI licensed would that change anything with a purchase. I doubt if Wisconsin will go that way but one can hope.