• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for Yellow Cat

bigdaddy1

Thats what I thought. Hypothetically with the license it wouldn't be a straw purchase if a resident purchased one because the buyer would have knowledge that I can legally posses and purchase a firearm? I don't have any plans to visit Utah or to purchase a firearm in any other state, but would like to know.

Cobra469

I thought you could buy from a private seller. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that resident requirement only apply to FFL dealers? I know shipping can only be done between FFL dealers or from yourself to yourself. But in person sales I thought was different. If I am wrong I better cancel that new addition I am supposed to pickup next week in Georgia.

jpm84092

I thought you could buy from a private seller. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that resident requirement only apply to FFL dealers? I know shipping can only be done between FFL dealers or from yourself to yourself. But in person sales I thought was different. If I am wrong I better cancel that new addition I am supposed to pickup next week in Georgia.

The original post dealt with a Utah situation. In Utah, private transactions are just that - private. The in-state requirement, at least dealing with the hypothetical handgun purchase in Utah, deals with FFL dealers.

Last edited:

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran

I thought each state was different. Illinois allows for FTF sales, but only to other residents with a FOID (nothing to cite, just what my friend who lives there was telling me. I was admiring his 1911 but would have to FFL to get it). I know you can't purchase from Dealer without the FFL (per federal) but aren't the FTF laws exempt if that state allows?

Last edited:

Cobra469

The original post dealt with a Utah situation. In Utah, private transactions are just that - private. The in-state requirement, at least dealing with the hypothetical handgun purchase in Utah, deals with FFL dealers.

SO in Utah a non-resident can buy from a private party but not an FFL. Ok. That is what I thought was said in class but since the OP didn't state whether it was a private party or FFL I got a little confused. :)

bigdaddy1

Yellow Cat mentioned that Utah's CCW carriers are exempt from the manditory wait period because they have the license. I just had a thought that if I was BCI licensed would that change anything with a purchase. I doubt if Wisconsin will go that way but one can hope.