• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK I am going to Work Source. They say they can not help me.

phoneguy

Why. Because of a illegal sign on the door. I really need to find work.
Any PDFs on line I can give to them that has the law on my side?
And to the Police when they meet me?

deanf

What sign are you talking about? If it's a no-guns signs, it's not illegal, in my opinion.

State preemption does not apply, as the unemployment office is a state agency. The State does not preempt itself.

amlevin

If one needs a job bad enough they might consider leaving their firearm home or in the car. Which is the priority, being right? Or feeding yourself and family? Any gun prohibitions can be dealt with later.

tombrewster421

What sign are you talking about? If it's a no-guns signs, it's not illegal, in my opinion.

State preemption does not apply, as the unemployment office is a state agency. The State does not preempt itself.

This argument does not hold water. It's no different than saying that "congress made this law, but they don't have to follow it". I don't see how an administrative code can go against the law of the state. The law is the law.

Not every gun law is the preemption statute. The state should be following the laws it creates.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Get a picture of the signage so you will know what law they say one would be violating, which there is none to my knowledge as the Director of Work Source feels it is with in his power to restrict firearms for the safety of his employees which is not covered in RCW 9.41.300.

I remember someone from OCDO recently reported on open carrying into a work source recently with out an issue.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

The State Agencies as well cannot make law on their own.

This is where the Director feels it is with in his/her powers to run the department and tires to justify the gun ban by saying it is for the safety or their employees, hmmm kind of sounds like the Seattle City Parks except it being a State Agency.

phoneguy

Get a picture of the signage so you will know what law they say one would be violating, which there is none to my knowledge as the Director of Work Source feels it is with in his power to restrict firearms for the safety of his employees which is not covered in RCW 9.41.300.

I remember someone from OCDO recently reported on open carrying into a work source recently with out an issue.

On the sign they quote RCW 9.41.300. Do I have to go back there and take a picture?

MadHatter66

If one needs a job bad enough they might consider leaving their firearm home or in the car. Which is the priority, being right? Or feeding yourself and family? Any gun prohibitions can be dealt with later.

This really is where I am at, the Bremerton Worksource has the same prohibition... I need a job more, so I just put on a jacket as I would not go to that neighborhood, or even that building unarmed as there are a lot of people assaulted there...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
On the sign they quote RCW 9.41.300. Do I have to go back there and take a picture?

The picture was a recommendation only, if they are quoting RCW 9.41.300 then where in that RCW restricts possession of your firearm with in there? What would an officer cite? It is open to the public and you would be with in the law lawfully carry your firearm.

Will it or may it cause issues, yes it could but then you how far do you want to take it? As stated in another post which is more important at this point in time? Do you go in concealed or not carry and in hopes of finding work or do you push the issue now or at a later date?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
This horse has already been beaten before. I hate it too, but I need a job too. Think about it, your not going to be able to OC at an interview. Most places don't allow carry of any type for employees.

pat

Why. Because of a illegal sign on the door. I really need to find work.
Any PDFs on line I can give to them that has the law on my side?
And to the Police when they meet me?

Please show me that you didn't give up some of your rights.
Have you ever submitted to a drug test?
Ever gave your employeer your social security number?

Just for starters.

Pat

amzbrady

The Unemployment office in Kennewick has a no firearms sign on their door and when I asked about it they said they rent the building from Goodwill and it is private property. They can make what ever rules they want.

I had carried to an interview at Express Personell and when I had to take my pee test, the guy told me to empty my pockets and take my coat off, I did and he said I could not take my firearm in with me so I put it on the table and told him he would have to be responsible for it while I filled the cup. They were very casual.

Freedom First

The wife's unimpressed...

And so am I. I was just today talking to a friend who will be losing his house in the next month or so. He wouldn't be foolish enough to quibble about OC vs CC if it meant getting work. Priorities...

But, in my book, your Freedom trumps my wife's opinion of your carry choices. :lol: Have a great day!

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran

Dean,
Opinions really don't fly on this forum where laws are concerned. Please cite the RCW to back up your assertion that it is illegal to carry either OC or CC into the State unemployment agency office. I don't see it in 9.41.300.

Now, if you are just being sarcastic, which I know you love to do, and are just saying it is not illegal to put up the sign saying it is illegal to carry, then I'm sorry. I somehow missed the sarcasm font.

Cheers.

deanf

Opinions really don't fly on this forum where laws are concerned.
Oh. Thanks, junior.

Pardon me, but when I make a statement here on OCDO-WA and don't qualify it with the words "in my opinion" them I'm accused of being a bully or troll, or someone who is unwilling to accept that other's thoughts on the matter might have some validity. Excuse me for trying to soften my message.

Leave aside, for a moment, the state constitution. We operate under a British Common Law system, where that which is not specifically prohibited, is allowed. Where, in the law, is the unemployment office not allowed to bar guns with an administrative rule?

Clearly, Article 1, Section 24 of the state constitution applies here, but there is no case law to back up my opinion on that. I doubt that anyone shoving the state constitution under some administrator's nose will help in this situation. So, as a practical matter, in my opinion, they can ban guns, and they will continue to do so until someone sues them. Where is the W.A.C.?

tombrewster421

Oh. Thanks, junior.

Pardon me, but when I make a statement here on OCDO-WA and don't qualify it with the words "in my opinion" them I'm accused of being a bully or troll, or someone who is unwilling to accept that other's thoughts on the matter might have some validity. Excuse me for trying to soften my message.

Leave aside, for a moment, the state constitution. We operate under a British Common Law system, where that which is not specifically prohibited, is allowed. Where, in the law, is the unemployment office not allowed to bar guns with an administrative rule?

Clearly, Article 1, Section 24 of the state constitution applies here, but there is no case law to back up my opinion on that. I doubt that anyone shoving the state constitution under some administrator's nose will help in this situation. So, as a practical matter, in my opinion, they can ban guns, and they will continue to do so until someone sues them. Where is the W.A.C.?

That's the thing, the WAC should not have the authority to ban guns because as a part of the state, they should have to follow the laws of the state. Does the federal government have to follow the laws that they make? If the state supposedly can't preempt itself then the city of Seattle could argue that they could make "administrative codes" that restrict carry in city buildings because it's not more restrictive than the state. If the state can do it, so can Seattle. The state should follow its own LAWS and not make up RULES that contradict those LAWS.

.45ACPaddy

I can't help but audibly facepalm at deanf's posts... They're obviously troll posts.

If the state doesn't restrict it, it's legal. End of story. That includes worksource. The Revised Code of Washington doesn't restrict carry in a worksource building, so it's legal.