• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Hattiesburg

dave1289

So guys, I have been OCing in the Hattiesburg area since May. I've been asked questions a few times but, that's about it. I have yet to have a LEO ask for a permit or anything. The only negative encounter I've had so far was in a small store in the Sanford community in Covington county. Guy running the store asked me to leave but, I later talked with the owner and was just asked to conceal next time (her store her rules).

I did talk to a Covington county deputy the other night while OC. He had come to my friends business for some other matter and never said a word about my G21 on my hip.

So, this area seems to be OC friendly. Any of you had any problems around here?

-dave

Last edited:

Daylen

So guys, I have been OCing in the Hattiesburg area since May. I've been asked questions a few times but, that's about it. I have yet to have a LEO ask for a permit or anything. The only negative encounter I've had so far was in a small store in the Sanford community in Covington county. Guy running the store asked me to leave but, I later talked with the owner and was just asked to conceal next time (her store her rules).

I did talk to a Covington county deputy the other night while OC. He had come to my friends business for some other matter and never said a word about my G21 on my hip.

So, this area seems to be OC friendly. Any of you had any problems around here?

-dave

It's always been fine when I've been there; even in areas around the university.

4angrybadgers

Glad to hear it's been fine for you guys so far. I must say, given some of the various demographics around here, I'm surprised no one has flipped out at seeing a sidearm. I admit, I've been a wuss and haven't OCed outside of my own property/car yet. (Well, I did OC once or twice while pumping gas, but it was at the crack of dawn and the station was pretty empty.) I need to get a voice recorder and just start OCing.

By the way, the next time you're in Hattiesburg and have some time to kill, drop me a line. I live in town and would enjoy befriending other OCers.

Last edited:

Daylen

Glad to hear it's been fine for you guys so far. I must say, given some of the various demographics around here, I'm surprised no one has flipped out at seeing a sidearm. I admit, I've been a wuss and haven't OCed outside of my own property/car yet. (Well, I did OC once or twice while pumping gas, but it was at the crack of dawn and the station was pretty empty.) I need to get a voice recorder and just start OCing.

By the way, the next time you're in Hattiesburg and have some time to kill, drop me a line. I live in town and would enjoy befriending other OCers.

I'll be passing through in early Dec. Most likely the 3rd or 4th. I'll know more in a week. Be sure not to wash the recorder with your cloths, they don't usually make it...

Last edited:

dave1289

Well, I guess I jinxed myself with this thread, had a negative encounter at the new Academy Sports in Hattiesburg. I had been looking around in the firearms department for about 10 min and was about to leave when an employee called me over. It went like this.

employee:"Sir, are you law enforcement?"
Me: "Nope."
employee: "Well you can't carry like that."
Me: "You can in Mississippi."
employee:"Well, I'm HPD(Hattiesburg Police Department) and the firearm has to be covered up. Do you have a permit?"
Me: "Yes, I do have a Firearms Permit."
employee: "Well, it's a ccw, the weapon has to be concealed."
Me: "Mine just says Firearms permit, doesn't say that it has to be concealed."
employee: "You can play it that way if you want."

At that point I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away. I looked around in another department for a few min then left. At no point did he actually show any ID and I didn't show him my permit. The other employees didn't get involved, they just stood and watched. I may have missed bits of it but that's the highlights.

I casually looked for a sign when I walk in. If there was one it wasn't a legal one.

I went to Gander Mountain after that. Talked to the guys in the Firearms department there and told them about what happend at Academy. One of the guys there used to be a Forrest County deputy. He just said that the HPD officer was full of s**t. lol

-Dave

Daylen

Well, I guess I jinxed myself with this thread, had a negative encounter at the new Academy Sports in Hattiesburg. I had been looking around in the firearms department for about 10 min and was about to leave when an employee called me over. It went like this.

employee:"Sir, are you law enforcement?"
Me: "Nope."
employee: "Well you can't carry like that."
Me: "You can in Mississippi."
employee:"Well, I'm HPD(Hattiesburg Police Department) and the firearm has to be covered up. Do you have a permit?"
Me: "Yes, I do have a Firearms Permit."
employee: "Well, it's a ccw, the weapon has to be concealed."
Me: "Mine just says Firearms permit, doesn't say that it has to be concealed."
employee: "You can play it that way if you want."

At that point I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away. I looked around in another department for a few min then left. At no point did he actually show any ID and I didn't show him my permit. The other employees didn't get involved, they just stood and watched. I may have missed bits of it but that's the highlights.

I casually looked for a sign when I walk in. If there was one it wasn't a legal one.

I went to Gander Mountain after that. Talked to the guys in the Firearms department there and told them about what happend at Academy. One of the guys there used to be a Forrest County deputy. He just said that the HPD officer was full of s**t. lol

-Dave

"you can play it that way if you want" must be the funniest way I've ever heard of saying 'dang you called my bluff'.

As a note just remember the permit does not allow you to carry openly, it doesn't need to allow such. Only CC needs a CHP (CCW your permit is most certainly not) because CC is illegal in general; OC is legal and specifically protected by the Constitution of MS. Don't let anyone, especially cops, fool you into thinking you need permission to OC; it is prudent to have a permit (concealed handgun) as it can make potential court situations easier, even if you don't carry it when OC. I always have my CHP on me.

On a lighter note be careful in Gander Mountain, they really to sell stuff when they see someone OC. I've noticed its like wearing a bloody steak around lions.

dave1289

With that last comment of his, I kind of got the feeling that he might have called some of his on-duty friends but, I didn't get proned out in the parking lot. :)

I did look at a SIG P220 while I was at Gander Mountain. It's a nice pistol, the grip is a lot smaller than my G21 and fits my hand better. The only problem is the price, $799! I really wish I had that kind of money to spend on a pistol now.

-Dave

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
one of these days i want to see someone respond this way to the following remark about having to have it concealed

'is one side concealed against me?'

Daylen

Where would we meet? Are we talking Hattiesburg? Like the thread would imply... :)

Yes. But we probably need a more specific location, the city is a bit large and we might not find each other if we simply all arrive in H'burg. It might be helpful if a H'burg resident would suggest a non-bar location.

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

Off the top of my head, here are some locations. Maybe I should make a poll for this.
Old Athens Grill
Caliente Grill
IHOP (directly across Hardy St. from USM)
La Fiesta Brava
Sweet Pepper's Deli (2 locations)
McAlister's Deli (2 locations)
Steelman's Cajun Kitchen (some of the best po-boys I've had in this city)
Newk's Cafe
Lenny's Sub Shop

These restaurants do serve alcohol, but are not "primarily devoted to such purpose" as stated in 45-9-101(13). If anyone is uneasy about meeting in such a place, I understand and will not argue. :)
Bakers Burger Co.
Chili's (right near the US-98/I-59 interchange)
Outback Steakhouse (also near the Interstate)
Mellow Mushroom

Daylen

Newks near the interstate sound good to me. Easy to find in case someone not familiar with H'burg comes.

dave1289

Any of those places sound good to me. But, I need to know what day, 3rd or 4th. I have a pistol course scheduled on the 3rd in Meridian( so I can get the sticker put on my permit). I can reschedule to the 4th if I know in the next couple of days.

-Dave

Daylen

How about we carve the 3rd in stone? While we're at it what time is good for yall? 11AM is the absolute earliest I can be in town, and that will be with me getting up at 5 for the drive.

georg jetson

How about we carve the 3rd in stone? While we're at it what time is good for yall? 11AM is the absolute earliest I can be in town, and that will be with me getting up at 5 for the drive.

Saturdays are a bit more difficult for me, but I'll do what I have to. Somebody pick a time...

dave1289

Well, I won't be able to reschedule the course, so if the meet is on the 3rd I won't be able to make it (sorry). I can make it on the
4th.

I had another run in with a Hattiesburg police officer tonight outside a liquor store. I was printing badly (OWB under a polo). We got to talking about carry laws and I mentioned open carry and my poorly hidden Glock. He asked if I had a permit and I said yes. That was it, he didn't ask to see it, ID, or anything. He said he was glad to see some one carrying. It was his understanding that open carry was allowed with a permit and I directed him to Artical 3 Section 12 of the Mississippi State Constitution. He thanked me for bringing it to his attention and said that he would "open up his books to look into it". We chatted for about 10 min. All in all, I think in was a pretty good encounter.

BTW, I told him about the run in with his co-worker at Academy. He wasn't sure what to make of that officers reaction but, agreed that I was in the right. I think he might know the guy. When I mentioned "off-duty officer working at a sporting goods store" he guessed Academy right off the bat.

-Dave