• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dmv + oc?

Sorcice

Anyone know if the DMV is considered a fed building and thus off limits carry wise or if the Madison dmvs are posted?

BROKENSPROKET

State building, and the Dept of Admin made policy that lawful carry is allowed in all state building except those prohibited places in statutes. There is and exception for sensitive areas which hold explosive gases or matertials and those will be clearly posted

Last edited:

E6chevron

State building, and the Dept of Admin made policy that lawful carry is allowed in all state building except those prohibited places in statutes. There is and exception for sensitive areas which hold explosive gases or matertials and those will be clearly posted

Does anyone have a Cite/Source for this DOA policy?

How does this policy override the statute 941.23 Carrying Firearm in public building https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/941/III/235?view=section

Is this policy considered to be an authorization as in: any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city, village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any county to possess a firearm in any building under sub. (1).

BROKENSPROKET

Does anyone have a Cite/Source for this DOA policy?

How does this policy override the statute 941.23 Carrying Firearm in public building https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/941/III/235?view=section

Is this policy considered to be an authorization as in: any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city, village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any county to possess a firearm in any building under sub. (1).

941.235 Carrying firearm in public building.
(1) Any person who goes armed with a firearm in any building owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state is guiltyof a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) Peace officers or armed forces or military personnel who go armed in the line of duty or to any person duly authorized by the chief of police of any city, village or town, the chief of the capitol police, or the sheriff of any county to possess a firearm in any building under sub. (1). Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (22), for purposes of this paragraph, peace officer does not include a commissionwarden who is not a state−certified commission warden.
(c) A qualified out−of−state law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 941.23 (1) (g), to whom s. 941.23 (2) (b) 1. to 3. applies.
(d) A former officer, as defined in s. 941.23 (1) (c), to whom s. 941.23 (2) (c) 1. to 7. applies.
(e) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out−of−state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).

The DOA's policy is not to post most state buildings.

Last edited:

E6chevron

The topic is about DMV & oc (Open Carry)

I am aware that you can carry either OC or CC with a CCL.

The status without a CCL is what I was trying to understand.

BROKENSPROKET

The topic is about DMV & oc (Open Carry)

I am aware that you can carry either OC or CC with a CCL.

The status without a CCL is what I was trying to understand.

I did not make a point that you could OC or CC with a CCL. My point is that you cannot do either in a public building without a license.

Policy is based on statute. Policy cannot override statute. So, it is illegal to carry in a public buidling w/o a license. However, at the Capitol, it appears that OC w/o a license it permissable. An officer stated that although the DOJ says its illegal, DOA has said that is it to be allowed. So they are hands off. When GlockRDH and myself OC'd in the Capitol last week, they would not check our licenses. I cannot advocate that anyone OC at the Capital w/o a permit, although it may not be enforced, it is illegal.

Last edited:

wild boar

sensitive areas which hold explosive gases [/QUOTE]

My God man somebody tell the assembly to get out of there, their going to blow!!!:monkey