Thread: Milwaukee area reloader?

Campaign Veteran

Milwaukee area reloader?

Anyone in the Milwaukee area reload their own ammo?

Looking for someone who has the equipment. I can't really afford the equipment to do it myself (just bought a home, so I can't afford the reloading equipment) If anyone reloads 9mm or .45, I'd like to talk to you about making an arrangement to reload for me.

Who knows, maybe a bunch of us can get together and really make it worth your while.......
    Last edited by TaurusToter; 11-18-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Sounds like fun!

Edit- to reload for sombody else would be taking on a tremendous liability and may violate federal law.
    Last edited by SourKraut; 11-19-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    Exodus 21:12-14

Click here for some Common Sense

Campaign Veteran
    Crap. Hadn't thought of that. Would figure that it would be classified as a "no no". Guess I'll have to save up for own reloading rig then. The wife's gonna love that one

You might want to start with a copy of this book-Lyman Reloading Handbook

The next thing to buy would be a good scale. Don't mess around looking for a battery powered digital scale, buy a gravity powered beam scale.

Next, you could buy dies and a press made right here in WI. Click on the blue to check out Lee Precision

Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by SourKraut; 11-19-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Exodus 21:12-14

Click here for some Common Sense

Thumbs up If You Are Going To Reload...Get The Best Equipment You Can Afford....

Otherwise you will buy cheap....get into it (or not) and then spend more money (or quit and sell everything you just bought) getting what you should have gotten in the first place.

I've been reloading since 1979 and started with an RCBS Rock Chucker press, beam scale and the other items needed for single stage reloading. Since 1994 I've used a Dillon Precision RL-550B progressive reloading press.

There are many manufacturers of fine reloading presses, both single, turret and progressive. Lyman, Hornady, Lee Precision, Dillon Precision, RCBS, Forster and a few others I can't remember.

There are many reloading books available and do...DO get more than one! It doesn't often happen but every once in a while a reloading manual will have incorrect reloading data so...always cross check the load you are working on in another book. Also, the older books may have data that has been removed in newer editions for one reason or another so you have to keep up with the new reloading manuals when they are released. Speer Reloading Manual number 14 is one of the best in my opinion followed by the Lee Reloading Manual 2nd Edition (very good book that covers just about every bullet and powder combination).

Getting into reloading can be a huge drain on your finances if you go all out so start right in the beginning and get what you need.

For the most popular pistol calibers I suggest the Dillon Square Deal B press: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...___039_B__039_
    It is only for pistol calibers and uses Dillon proprietary dies but if you are only loading for a few pistol calibers this press is a great investment.

If you want to load for all pistol calibers and almost all rifle calibers I suggest the Dillon RL-550B press which uses any manufacturers dies.

Last suggestion is check out You Tube for hundreds of reloading videos. Many of them are excellent and explain just about everything you will need to get started. Learn from other peoples mistakes, not your own!
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Save up for a bit and buy a rock chucker supreme kit. It comes with everything you need to get started.

Do some figuring to see how much money you'll save and show your wife that.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Campaign Veteran
    Thanks for the info. As a kid my family reloaded our own target loads for the weekend trap shoots, but that's been so long ago I don't even know what happened with the presses (and no one else seems to remember either). Never reloaded a piston round in my life, so I knew it was a slightly different rig.

Will definitely look into the resources ya'll provided and keep an eye out for sales. I appreciate it!

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    I went with LEE precision for a few different reasons, first and foremost they are very affordable, they are based in Wisconsin, and their dies are the best available IMO. almost everyone's dies and presses are interchangeable except for Dillon, they went with a different thread pitch than everyone else, so dillon presses only work with dillon does, and vice versa.

My first handload was for a 22-250, and I did it with the Lee Handloader die that requires a rubber mallet and a sturdy table with no press, they were the most accurate rounds that I have ever produced. Now I have a Lee progressive, I run it progressive for handgun loads, yet a bypass the auto powder measure and weight each charge to 1/10th of a grain and pour the powder into the case manually through the sizing die while still in the press. Lee's Auto-Disk Measure is not all that great, too much chance for a light charge and a bulged barrel or worse IMO.

You can easily get into this for less than $400.00 with everything you need to load one caliber, and add equipment as you can afford to. Sort of like building an AR, get the basics to start, and add on as needed.

Lightbulb Dillon Presses Work Well With All Manufacturers Dies Except For The Square Deal B...

Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    I went with LEE precision for a few different reasons, first and foremost they are very affordable, they are based in Wisconsin, and their dies are the best available IMO. almost everyone's dies and presses are interchangeable except for Dillon, they went with a different thread pitch than everyone else, so dillon presses only work with dillon does, and vice versa.

My first handload was for a 22-250, and I did it with the Lee Handloader die that requires a rubber mallet and a sturdy table with no press, they were the most accurate rounds that I have ever produced. Now I have a Lee progressive, I run it progressive for handgun loads, yet a bypass the auto powder measure and weight each charge to 1/10th of a grain and pour the powder into the case manually through the sizing die while still in the press. Lee's Auto-Disk Measure is not all that great, too much chance for a light charge and a bulged barrel or worse IMO.

You can easily get into this for less than $400.00 with everything you need to load one caliber, and add equipment as you can afford to. Sort of like building an AR, get the basics to start, and add on as needed.
    All the Dillon presses for pistol and rifle use standard dies from all manufacturers except for their "Square Deal B" press. It uses Dillon proprietary dies. I have Lyman, Lee, RCBS, Redding and Dillon dies for my RL-550B press. Most of the dies I use for pistol are made by Lee with the "Factory Crimp Die" for use on my Dillon RL-550B press.

Either way you go a progressive press is so much nicer to work with than a single stage.

Check out this reloading video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oMnQsJZr58
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

I run a Hornady LNL Auto Progressive and a Lee Classic Cast turret.

The Lee Reloading book is pretty decent and is included in some of their starter kits. I use the book for a general reference for finished length and cross reference starting loads with the powder manufacturer. Lee pushes volume vs mass measurement.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.