• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

why the difference in reciprocity?

Raymond0609

Why is it that my Tn permit covered 39 states but my Co only covers 32? That is confusing to me as to why that is and will more states be added? my inlaws are in VA and my Tn covered my there but now that I am a Co resident I cannot carry there anymore.:banghead:

SovereignAxe

It's confusing to everyone, and is why the reciprocity bill is on its way to the Senate (last I heard).

The states argue that they have better restrictions and training for their licenses, but TN only made me make four left turns to get my driver's license, and all 50 states don't seem to have a problem honoring that.

Last edited:

Jack House

I disagree, it does not confuse me. What actually gets me, is why am I discriminated against while traveling in Oklahoma with my Texas license?

Posted using my HTC Evo

rushcreek2

Jack, what's the problem with your CHL in OK ? Are you referring to such OK restrictions as not being able to carry into a road-side rest area building (restrooms)? That tidbit seems a bit odd to me in that that is WHERE a traveler is most likely to encounter a threat.

I was under the impression that OK was pretty reasonable on CCW.

Badger Johnson

Yeah it's hilarious, because LEOs, servicemen (infantry?) and other pros have less specific HG training and they have far more accidents per capita than private CHP holders, I suspect. Nobody questions them. In addition we have other behavioral issues with 'pros'.

My friend made a startling comment the other day maybe even worth its own thread.

"We WANT our senior citizens, retirees (especial civil servants) to be armed. They have the most wisdom, experience, calm and best judgment (and reluctance to shoot/harm) than anyone and they're somewhat more vulnerable."

Brilliant!

Jack House

Jack, what's the problem with your CHL in OK ? Are you referring to such OK restrictions as not being able to carry into a road-side rest area building (restrooms)? That tidbit seems a bit odd to me in that that is WHERE a traveler is most likely to encounter a threat.

I was under the impression that OK was pretty reasonable on CCW.
Different restrictions got out of state license holders. I can't remember them now. I imply briefly researched then about a month or so ago shortly before I went to Oklahoma.

Posted using my HTC Evo

VAopencarry

The answer is SIMPLE, because Colorado chose to recognize the permits of 32 states, not 39. TN chose to recognize the permit of 39 states.

While in VA OC or get a non resident permit.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Yeah it's hilarious, because LEOs, servicemen (infantry?) and other pros have less specific HG training and they have far more accidents per capita than private CHP holders, I suspect.

You're suspecting wrong. Most servicemen fire more often than local PD's.

I'm retired. I carried before I joined, all throughout, and after I retired. Issues? None.

If you think Badger, that you think "servicemen (infantry?) and other pros have less specific HG training and far more accidents per capita than private CHP holders," let's see your statistics.

Where are you going with this??? To what purpose? Is it just money? What might you have to gain, here?

Really - what's up?

SIGguy229

Yeah it's hilarious, because LEOs, servicemen (infantry?) and other pros have less specific HG training and they have far more accidents per capita than private CHP holders, I suspect. Nobody questions them. In addition we have other behavioral issues with 'pros'.

Please cite your source. Otherwise, it sounds like you're disparaging a large group of people...I mean, I know we're only 1% of the population, so please, explain your statistic.

Otherwise, you're talking out your ass.

Oh, and you are welcome. Continue your ******** analysis.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Some Stats

"There are as of 2006, 683,396 full time state, city, university and college, metropolitan and non-metropolitan county, and other law enforcement officers in the United States. There are approx. 120,000 full time law enforcement personnel working for the federal government adding up to a total number of 800,000 law enforcement personnel in the U.S." - Source

There were 21.8 million veterans in the U.S. as of 2010. - Source

Knowing that the number of vets includes those who're no longer active duty, guard, or reserve, we have approximately 32 times more of them than there are all current law-enforcement in the U.S.

I looked for more appropriately comparable statistics, but couldn't find any. I can't draw any logical or reasonable conclusions without good data, so why are conclusions being drawn on the lack of good data?

Jack House

Even if it's true, one must take into account that the police are far more likely to be shooting situations than a CHP holder.

Posted using my HTC Evo

Gunslinger

CO doesn't have reciprocity with states that require immediate access to a database to determine if the permit is valid. That is the only reason that states like VA, WV and SC don't honor ours, and we therefore don't honor theirs. Our training and background checks are fine with them, but there isn't a number to call to 'immediately' validate the permit. Our checks are done through a CBI (CO Bureau of Investigation) database, not the fbi's. And records are not kept in any CBI database which would apply to all CO CCW holders.