• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Condition 0-4

Sorcice

So after reading McX's last post in the mooon eyes thread I looked up the different "Conditions" for carry. I found this website explaining them as well as a very disturbing vid of a man who was in con-3 and could not get his gun to fire to save his life..literally.

Now the question. How do you carry and is there a particular reason for it(McX feel free to disregard as i saw your post and know you won't answer at this time :)) ? I tend to go Con-2 with my Beretta px4 because there is enough weight on the trigger of the first round that unless i intentionally pull the "boom stick" or pull back the hammer to stage 1 or 2 it's not going to budge enough to go off. Px4s have very heavy first round pulls. Below is info and site:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/12/17/still-think-its-a-good-idea-to-carry-in-condition-3/

The 5 conditions are:

Condition 0 – A round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.
Condition 1 – Also called “cocked and locked”, this means that a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety is on.
Condition 2 – A round is in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked.
Condition 3 – There is no round in the chamber, the hammer is uncocked but a fully loaded magazine is inserted in the mag well.
Condition 4 – The chamber is empty, the hammer is uncocked and there is no magazine inserted in the mag well

H

Herr Heckler Koch

OC SA1911A1 SAO in Condition one, as it was designed. CC H&K USPc .40 DA/SA Condition two, safety off. American Eagle Luger Condition three for its ineffective safety and that I wear it as a pretty dress gun.

"Booger pickers" hardly lend themselves to an attractive image of legally armed citizens. "Keep your finger off the TRIGGER" works quite well. Rhinotillexomania is a paraphilia and "booger picker" has only shock value like any other obscenity (words associated with bodily functions and parts).

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

XD45 - When I started to carry, it was C-3. I would carry a round in the chamber when situational awareness may elicit an extra sense of readiness. Thought that was C-1, but if there is no manual ssafety and the firing pin cannot be decocked, so that must be condition 0.

PT145- I made this my primary carry gun for now. C-1 always.

M

McX

well, i guess i ended up a condition2 kind of guy. i am always and very concerned about an accidental discharge, so i cant justify a full condition 1. rather proud, and at the same time disheartened that i now have to go cond. 2. But i do indeed see the valid points made to me over time by my brethren that i should have a round in the chamber. it is an interesting situation, as each gun i own kinda dictates to me by it's design which condition it is best and safest to carry it in. Smacky lends itself well to 2, Disruptor wants 3, Precious wants 3. wish i could afford more guns, then i would have more choices! give me your nicest guns- i feel deprived.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I wouldn't give up either gun....

I carry my SW99 decocked with one in the pipe; the first shot is DA and subsequent rounds are single action. It doesn't have or need a separate safety. I would have to call that Condition 1. I carry my 1911 the way it was designed to be carried; Condition 1. I don't like the two different manual of arms, but I wouldn't give up either gun.... :cool:

carry for myself

i carry condition 2. Beretta 92SB compact. 1 in the chamber, full mag. hammer down........NO SAFETY.

looks like in the video this guy had the safety on and didnt disengage it to rack the slide.........this is why i dont use my safety. i have a 9lb SA/DA trigger as a safety. all i do is point and shoot. and thats the way i like it.

UtahRSO

I've always considered my XD's to be in C-1, not C-0. There's a cartridge in the chamber, the "hammer" (actually firing pin) is cocked, and the two safeties (trigger safety and grip safety) are on. Gripping the gun takes one safety off, and the act of pulling the trigger takes the other safety off. (Actually, there's an internal third safety that prevents the firing pin from falling until the trigger is all the way pulled.)

So it's not like having my 1911 in C-0 with the frame safety off and the grip safety pinned.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

I never considered getting a 1911 or a revolver for one reason and one reason only. In a close combat situation, where you are struggling with the assailant, when the trigger is pulled, the hammer may not have clearance and prevent you from getting a single shot off. With my XD45, but I can always get one shot off guaranteed.

HandyHamlet

it is indeed fortunate to have you present to criticize my methods. perhapse some time you could stop by the shop, and tell me how to run my business, and home life.

Don't go on the WCInc facebook page then. If you don't carry the way some demand over there, you don't deserve to be able to protect yourself at all.

I carry in C3. If I own any firearms, which I don't.

I carry this way because I know I have a better chance of being struck down by a Space T Rex riding a meteor than ever having to pull a sidearm in defense. So it's no big deal.
Chuck Norris told me I have to give the bad guys a chance anyway. That's how good my Israeli Draw and shooting are.
The last three times I was challenged to a quick draw duel at high noon I slept though them accidentally. I get up late. Really late as witnessed by this post. So now I just don't entertain the offers anymore.
I figure the chances of me turning into a middle eastern jewelry shop owner are very very slim. (Milproguy: this is in reference to the OP's linked video in the uh, first post, that you won't read before posting)

Bring on the flames sheeple calling themselves sheep dogs.

But then again, as a level ten Gunkata I have already traveled forward in time and eradicated all my enemies. Then went back in time to jam with Micheal J Fox.

Here's a little something for that sweet Pioneer SX-737 McX. Let the bastards fry.

[video=youtube;Ig4jQrofnBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig4jQrofnBI[/video]

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Carry "Condition 5"....I Want To Hang With You Guys!

Don't go on the WCInc facebook page then. If you don't carry the way some demand over there, you don't deserve to be able to protect yourself at all.

I carry in C3. If I own any firearms, which I don't.

I carry this way because I know I have a better chance of being struck down by a Space T Rex riding a meteor than ever having to pull a sidearm in defense. So it's no big deal.
Chuck Norris told me I have to give the bad guys a chance anyway. That's how good my Israeli Draw and shooting are.
The last three times I was challenged to a quick draw duel at high noon I slept though them accidentally. I get up late. Really late as witnessed by this post. So now I just don't entertain the offers anymore.
I figure the chances of me turning into a middle eastern jewelry shop owner are very very slim. (Milproguy: this is in reference to the OP's linked video in the uh, first post, that you won't read before posting)

Bring on the flames sheeple calling themselves sheep dogs.

But then again, as a level ten Gunkata I have already traveled forward in time and eradicated all my enemies. Then went back in time to jam with Micheal J Fox.

Here's a little something for that sweet Pioneer SX-737 McX. Let the bastards fry.

it is indeed fortunate to have you present to criticize my methods. perhapse some time you could stop by the shop, and tell me how to run my business, and home life.

You guys rock! Well, my method of carry is a bit unorthodox...some have seen me carry in what I call "Condition 5". What IS "Condition 5" you may ask?

Condition 5: Empty Holster!

HandyHamlet

Don't be a braggart.

We have personally witnessed you kill, clean and cook small game.

With your mind.

Thusly rendering all earthly weapons immaterial.