• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video of AG Cuccinelli speaking @ VCDL meeting Nov 17, 2011

IanB

[GMU Gun Ban] Video of AG Cuccinelli speaking @ VCDL meeting Nov 17, 2011

[video=youtube_share;k0YIGC3qiYk]http://youtu.be/k0YIGC3qiYk[/video]

Last edited:

BillB

Thanks much for posting the video. Ken Cuccinelli is a righteous dude!

TFred

Listening now.

The first 8-10 minutes is an excellent summary of the job of the AG. All the "Cuccinelli haters" would be well-advised to listen to this, especially the fact that none of his opinions have yet been overturned by a court.

Here are some highlights, adding as I go along:

10:15 Policy vs. Regulation - no mention of the caveot for applying to the community.

12:25 20-20 Senate: Excellent account of the Saslaw subcommittees breaking the rules to kill bills.

15:20 Castle Doctrine, and Edd Houck wasn't "bad on guns", but they brought with them the committee games. Change in control good for Second Amendment prospects.

17:30 "I don't expect Tommy [probable new Senate Majority leader] to do what Dick was doing, make up rules to kill bills."

21:00 / 21:40 Question about "locked" vs. "secured". Isn't that User adding in there?

27:10 Interesting answer referencing Heller, did the majority of the majority make a deal on the language (being a little more restrictive than they may have wanted) to get the 5th vote?

30:45 Cuccinelli wishes the GA would pull all gun regulation back to itself.

31:20 Added a point of information, all the Virginia Administrative Codes are all CIVIL, they (agencies) do not have the authority to create new crimes. Only the GA can do that.

50:25 Who is the biggest lawbreaker in America? Government... that's why there is a Second Amendment - a big part of it. We do not have a track record in Virginia for state agencies that behave themselves - or Governors...

51:50 Difference between Stand your Ground and Castle Doctrine. Stand Your Ground is anywhere - doesn't go quite as far as Castle Doctrine. Castle Doctrine is in your house, the usual legal analysis of appropriateness is set aside. Burden of proof shifts in favor of the home-owner.

53:15 Commerce Clause question: 4 CC cases since the New Deal - touches on the GFSZ law and the 1995 Lopez case. Limited Government is 2-2 on these cases, 2-1 in the last 16 years.

1:05:20 Question about reclassifying universities to fall under 15.2-915. Better to put them all back under the authority of the GA. Then they're accountable, you don't vote for beaurocrats, you vote for senators and delegates, and you vote them out. It's amazing how motivating seeing your fellows going down is. It changes behavior.

1:05:45 I want to commend you for your grassroots organization and approach and contribution. I see some NRA hats and others, they are the 800 pound gorilla, but they don't put anybody on the ground. As somebody who has run in 4 races, and been outspent in all 4 races and won all 4 races, I can tell you it's because the people on the ground who share my commitment to the first principles of this country that really has made us exceptional... battles that aren't going to end anytime soon.

Excellent video... thanks very much for posting it!

TFred

Last edited:

TFred

10:15 Policy vs. Regulation - no mention of the caveot for applying to the community.
Further explanation of my short comment on this part of the video.

There are two sections on Regulations:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+2.2-4031

which is the Regulation process in general, and

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+2.2-4002

which provides for exemptions from certain parts of the process, specifically:

"6. Educational institutions operated by the Commonwealth, provided that, with respect to § 2.2-4031, such educational institutions shall be exempt from the publication requirements only with respect to regulations that pertain to (i) their academic affairs, (ii) the selection, tenure, promotion and disciplining of faculty and employees, (iii) the selection of students, and (iv) rules of conduct and disciplining of students."

It sure appears to me that educational institutions do not meet the qualification for this exemption when writing a regulation that will affect visitors to their campus.

Yet, AG Cuccinelli seemed to make no indication of this during his talk, rather he alluded to them streamlining and circumventing the public comment part of the process.

Who "controls", for lack of a better word, the Regulation process? Does anyone know if those in control have been asked to ensure that these schools are not allowed to get away with shortcuts that they are not entitled to? If they try, who is authorized to correct them?

TFred

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I was certainly underimpressed with his response to the gentleman who stated "liberal doesn't necessarily mean anti-gun or anti-moral."

TFred

The man spoke for an hour. If you don't like him, that's fine. You don't have to make up reasons, just say, you don't like him and be done with it.

Reminds me of people who church-hop. There's always a reason to leave if you look hard enough.

TFred

6L6GC

I am certainly far from being a Cuccinelli hater, but I must say in all truthfulness that I am disappointed in him. I worked hard to get him elected. Worked with David Ray and Ryan Sneddon handing out signs, making phone calls, going to fund raisers, chipping in $$. I urged everybody to vote for him.

Then I felt double crossed when he supported the college (ie: government agent/department/etc.) against what I view as an unconstitutional law that violated the Virginia constitution. I don't buy into the idea that he is duty bound to represent the government's side no matter what. That's upholding government policy, not necessarily upholding the constitution. The two are not always the same thing.

Overall, I think that he has done quite a fine job as the attorney general, but I strongly disagree with him on the GMU opinion. But having said that, I think it is commendable for a man to say "I was wrong. I misunderstood the scope of the application of 15.2-915". Most are not man enough to publicly say "I was wrong".

I would be willing to do that, but it'd keep me so busy I wouldn't have time for anything else :-O

roN

TFred

Can anyone name an Attorney General in the last 50 years that has been more "gun rights friendly?" Can anyone name a major ticket candidate in the past 50 years that has been the same?

I honestly don't know the answers to these questions. I do know that on the ticket of 2009, Cuccinelli was the best of the major ticket candidates. Imagine where we'd be if Steve Shannon had won.

http://www.aipnews.com/talk/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9670&posts=1
http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/697-VA-ALERT-Steve-Shannon-On-Gun-Control.html
http://virginiashootingsportsassociation.blogspot.com/2009/11/campaign-2009-post-mortem.html

TFred

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
The man spoke for an hour. If you don't like him, that's fine. You don't have to make up reasons, just say, you don't like him and be done with it.

Reminds me of people who church-hop. There's always a reason to leave if you look hard enough.

TFred

No, I don't like the man or his positions on most things.

That said, I did not voice that. I voiced what I believe to be a telling instance of shutting down a potential dialogue with someone who agrees with him on one issue and disagrees on another.

You don't need to challenge me; feel free to challenge a position all you want.

And I wouldn't know about church hopping. The gods made the whole universe as my church.

TFred

No, I don't like the man or his positions on most things.

That said, I did not voice that. I voiced what I believe to be a telling instance of shutting down a potential dialogue with someone who agrees with him on one issue and disagrees on another.

You don't need to challenge me; feel free to challenge a position all you want.

And I wouldn't know about church hopping. The gods made the whole universe as my church.
Not my intent to insult or challenge anyone personally... Liberals who support gun rights are such a rare breed as to be practically a myth. The primary motivators for each end of the ideological spectrum are mutually exclusive, yielding a rare bird, indeed. Empirical data will show that the vast majority of gun-rights people are more conservative than liberal. Considering that gun rights are but one small part of a world that Cuccinelli is concerned about, it doesn't surprise me that he has little time for liberals.

TFred

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Let me add some insight here. The guy who was talking about liberals was Terrell. He holds a very different view as to what a liberal is compared to the mainstream interpretation. His views are on his site here.

I don't have an opinion on his or Cuccinelli's view either way, I just wanted to point out the Cuccinelli and Terrell were talking about two different kinds of liberals.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Let me add some insight here. The guy who was talking about liberals was Terrell. He holds a very different view as to what a liberal is compared to the mainstream interpretation. His views are on his site here.

I don't have an opinion on his or Cuccinelli's view either way, I just wanted to point out the Cuccinelli and Terrell were talking about two different kinds of liberals.

Understand. I typed Terrell's name, then changed my mind and left it anonymous. I'm not any more willing to let Cuccinelli define "conservative" than I am to let Prude define "liberal". The point is that his response was dismissive and downright rude.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Understand. I typed Terrell's name, then changed my mind and left it anonymous. I'm not any more willing to let Cuccinelli define "conservative" than I am to let Prude define "liberal". The point is that his response was dismissive and downright rude.

I can agree that it was a bit abrupt.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm gonna need to see a whole lotta support for gun rights and liberty in general from Cuccinelli before I support him again.

If I'd known he was gonna support the state's position (which is really the same thing as saying supporting the position of the other state agents at the time an issue is litigated), I wouldn't have bothered to support him. Wasn't his support of GMU really a little bit like fraud on his part? "I'm pro-gun! Vote for me!" But, he wasn't really pro-gun.

Between his GMU support and that nearly hysterical brief, I'm gonna need to see a whole lotta support for both gun rights and liberty in general. Otherwise, he's just another Republican--one of the two wings of the Government Party that always ends up diminishing freedom and stealing more of our money under threat of force and imprisonment.