• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to shoot in Boise area

Kenne

I have been looking for the last hour and cant find info like I have seen before.

I live out by lucky peak out of city limits.

10-15years ago I could go out side and shoot from my back yard and target practice. Is this still allowed? Or so I need to be like 100feet from a residential area on public land. I don't want to go to a range as I spend more money then what I say I will. "ooo look I'll just buy another box or rounds to keep shooting" type thing.

ecocks

Even from the west side of Meridian, I just drive down to the National Guard area way south of the airport and prisons.

ecocks

Nope. Just drive south, past the prisons and Birds of Prey preserve, then watch for the sign (about 4' X 4' which explains that you are responsible for being sure that you know what's in your field of fire. Take a turn-off onto one of the dirt/gravel roads and find spot to setup on. Walk to high ground and check to be sure no NG units are out there working. They will occasionally be setup with vehicles and tents depending on what they are training on. Work southward and don't turn back north.

The only possible thing to watch for is to be careful you don't wander on to the Birds of Prey area where shooting is prohibited. Watch for signs.

Not too complicated, really.

Kenne

sweet thats like 10min away from my house so i might go and check it out once my extra mags get here next week

Emberglo

Thanks for posting that you can shoot out there! I've been going to the BLM behind the Boise Stage Stop, but that's a long haul for just an hour or two of shooting. I'll have to head out to this place and give it a shot!

ecocks

Well yes.......

Just drive south, past the prisons and Birds of Prey preserve, then watch for the sign (about 4' X 4') which explains that you are responsible for being sure that you know what's in your field of fire.

Kenne

now that i have my 22lr upper on my ar working and the 1911 fixed cause the hammer sheared and ya it was a bad night. but maybe we should meet up and have a day of shooting.

DaveNIdaho

Another good spot, especially if you are in the Kuna area, is just south of Kuna off Swan Falls Rd.

This is one of the main routes into the Birds of Prey area, and a lot of folks don't realize that you can shoot out there if you know where.

Take Swan Falls Rd. south from Kuna. Once you go south of the main power lines you can then shoot long guns and pistols east of Swan Falls Rd.
Do not shoot long guns/pistols anywhere west (towards the Snake River canyon) of Swan Falls Rd. or anywhere (east or west) north of the main power lines.