• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry into Meijer, Walmart

xd shooter

If alcohol is a primary source of income, like a bar, then it's OC only with a license, just like a school. Other licensees, like grocery stores, are OC with permission, or OC/CC with a CPL.

My wife asked this question, "what about a liquor store?" It's not sold by the glass, you can't drink it on the premises, but their sole income is the sale of liquor.....

jegoodin

My wife asked this question, "what about a liquor store?" It's not sold by the glass, you can't drink it on the premises, but their sole income is the sale of liquor.....

Is there some confusion on the meanng of the word "and"?

Lets review:
AND means ALL conditions of the statement have to be met to be true,
OR means JUST ONE condition of the statement has to be met to be true.

Last edited:

taxman

Banned
After reading all this why would anyone want to visit Michigan?

...where simple possession of a handgun is a felony, unless you are a Michigan resident who it is registered to, or unless you have a license to carry concealed, or unless you are/were a cop or fed.

A couple of fun facts: As a MI concealed pistol license holder, I can OC but not CC in many 'pistol free zones'.
My very own "pro gun" Senator, Rick Jones, recently reached deep into his bag of dirty tricks to pass a law allowing people like Lon Horiuchi to OC/CC in pfzs without a license.
Mike Green, another "pro gun" legislator, who sits on the board of a pro gun political advocacy group, has introduced legislation to make it illegal for me to OC in pfzs.

xd shooter

Is there some confusion on the meanng of the word "and"?

Lets review:
AND means ALL conditions of the statement have to be met to be true,
OR means JUST ONE condition of the statement has to be met to be true.

Ah, I see! So if you buy it by the glass but have to leave the premises you're good to go! Got it!..... NOT!

A liquor store does not sell by the glass AND you can't drink it on the premises.... So my question remains...

Last edited:

Xpiatio

Ah, I see! So if you buy it by the glass but have to leave the premises you're good to go! Got it!..... NOT!

A liquor store does not sell by the glass AND you can't drink it on the premises.... So my question remains...
There is a liquor store here also has a taste testing area which also let's you buy by the glass on drink on premise. It's also a grocery store.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

jeffrey-r

There is a liquor store here also has a taste testing area which also let's you buy by the glass on drink on premise. It's also a grocery store.

Okay. That still isn't "(d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises."

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Actually, 750.234d has no bearing on the relationship between firearms and places licensed to sell alcohol. The reason is that Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws was REPEALED many many years ago and has since been replaced. The most relevant statute is 28.425o(d) which states, in whole:

Added emphasis mine.
Except, 750.234d deals with Open carry without a CPL. 28.425o deals with places you can't carry CONCEALED.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

We're dealing with two separate laws. One says you can't carry a gun openly into any establishment licensed to sell alcohol, without a CPL. (Unless you work there, own the store, or have permission from the owner and/or his/her agent.

The other law says you can't carry concealed in a place that has alcohol sales by the glass for consumption on the premises as it's primary source of revenue.

Two different laws, two different situations. If you have a CPL, the first one doesn't affect you. With regard to the 2nd, you can get around it by OCing with your CPL.