• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry into Meijer, Walmart

lapeer20m

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I saw it in there the first time I read it, I just cant remember where. But I posted it to reference what the Liquor License is, because his friend thought it meant an establishment which sells alcohol by the glass. In there somewhere it references the different types of licenses and it briefly mentions an establishment that sells groceries or something along those lines. It can be interpreted as a grocery store and such.
Ok, that part is there. Just no mention of firearms. By the same token, 750.234d doesn't mention places that sell by the glass.

Onnie

“We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it.” - Nancy Pelosi to the congresscritters voting on it

every time i see one of your posts i look over at your avartar and i start to sweat. Your pictire brings back not so fond memories of me when I was 4 and I stuck my grandfathers keys in the wall socket and electrocuted myself! As a reminder to me and the other grandkids, he never painted the part of the wall that was blacked. 30 years later it still had the burn marks and copper pieces from the melted key on the wall and socket!

To this day I can not even change a circuit breaker my wife has to do it, and plugging anything into an outlet takes a act of congress for me to do!

thanks for the nightmares!!! lol:cry:

SpringerXDacp

OMG. (facepalm) I just used permission Sunday. Pardon me while I go crawl back into my hole. (You have to admit, implied permission is a little scary)

I recall a discussion we had here, oh several years ago perhaps, pertaining to establishments where a non-CPL holder could OC and implied permission may come into play. I mentioned barber shops as an example.

When a non-CPL holder enters a barber shop, sits down in the chair, the pistol becomes concealed when the barber places the apron over you. If Officer McGillicutty comes in for a cut and shave and then notices your pistol after you stand up from the chair, is there implied permission because you were not asked to leave or store your pistol in your car in the beginning? If the barber notices you're carrying before you sit down and says nothing, is this implied permission? If the barber notices you're carrying and says nothing, will he or she back you when McGillicutty questions you about the pistol?

xmanhockey7

I recall a discussion we had here, oh several years ago perhaps, pertaining to establishments where a non-CPL holder could OC and implied permission may come into play. I mentioned barber shops as an example.

When a non-CPL holder enters a barber shop, sits down in the chair, the pistol becomes concealed when the barber places the apron over you. If Officer McGillicutty comes in for a cut and shave and then notices your pistol after you stand up from the chair, is there implied permission because you were not asked to leave or store your pistol in your car in the beginning? If the barber notices you're carrying before you sit down and says nothing, is this implied permission? If the barber notices you're carrying and says nothing, will he or she back you when McGillicutty questions you about the pistol?

It is my understanding even with owners permission you cannot cc without a CPL. When i get my haircut I hold the apron away from my pistol to ensure it does not become concealed.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
It is my understanding even with owners permission you cannot cc without a CPL. When i get my haircut I hold the apron away from my pistol to ensure it does not become concealed.

Otherwise, all my boys at my 'social club' can pack with my permission.

SpringerXDacp

This is correct (750.227). However, the officer didn't know the person was carrying at all, OC or even CC with the apron covering the pistol, until the customer stood up.

xmanhockey7

This is correct (750.227). However, the officer didn't know the person was carrying at all, OC or even CC with the apron covering the pistol, until the customer stood up.

Well it would seem to me if the apron was covering the pistol it would be concealed. If he had the apron on but was not covering the pistol and the officer simply didn't notice that's his own fault.

NHCGRPR45

“We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it.” - Nancy Pelosi to the congresscritters voting on it

Yup! I wish I could right a few laws that would get passed! Then directly after the said passing I would "REVEAL" what it really means. Like the Brady Act to Ban All FireArms. What they would "find out later" is that it repealed those pesky ANTI laws, wow that would make them pop like over ripe ticks!
:monkey

Greene32

So basically any place that sells beer or liquor u CAN NOT open carry is what your saying. I just sent my app in for my cpl hope it don't take forever to get back to me

fozzy71

So basically no place that sells beer or liquor can u open carry at. Grocery stores and any store right. Just sent my app in for my cpl yesterday hoping it don't take forever to get back

Correct, you must have a CPL to OC (or CC obviously) anywhere that has any type of valid liquor license (even if they don't actually sell liquor).

DeSchaine

Actually, 750.234d has no bearing on the relationship between firearms and places licensed to sell alcohol. The reason is that Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws was REPEALED many many years ago and has since been replaced. The most relevant statute is 28.425o(d) which states, in whole:

A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises. This subdivision does not apply to an owner or employee of the business. The Michigan liquor control commission shall develop and make available to holders of licenses under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, an appropriate sign stating that "This establishment prohibits patrons from carrying concealed weapons". The owner or operator of an establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, may, but is not required to, post the sign developed under this subdivision.

Added emphasis mine.

xd shooter

It was replaced, and includes this statement;

(5) A reference in any other law to the Michigan liquor control act, 1933 (Ex Sess) PA 8, being MCL 436.1 to 436.58, is considered to be a reference to this act.

So wouldn't that mean that the relevant relationship remains the same? IOW, it is still required to have a CPL to OC in any stablishment licensed to sell alcohol?

taxman

Banned
So wouldn't that mean that the relevant relationship remains the same? IOW, it is still required to have a CPL to OC in any stablishment licensed to sell alcohol?

If alcohol is a primary source of income, like a bar, then it's OC only with a license, just like a school. Other licensees, like grocery stores, are OC with permission, or OC/CC with a CPL.

Last edited: