• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22 cal is best for self defense

SickPythons

Try this:

Draw and fire your normal carry gun while backing up from the target. Empty the whole mag.

Go to the target, measure the radius and multiply it by about 3 (stress factor).

Now do the same thing with your .22

Still feel good about your .45??

I know everyone is going to come back with practice practice practice blah blah blah. You will always be a better rapid fire shot with your .22.
If I'm going to shoot someone, I want to hit them. Penetration, expansion, stopping power means nothing if you miss.

carry for myself

okay. you shoot me 3 times with your .22

ill shoot you 3 times with my .45 HPJ's..............i will probably live. you most certainly will not................nuff said

carry for myself

Agreed... but I'd actually hit you 3 times.

you might hit me three times. but first round out would hit you once..........in the head lol

your new here...........but what you will realize is 99% of us train train and train........some of us have been in combat. and can make single shots under stress. and most of us can easily hit our target.

if you have no other choice. .22 works..........if you want to get killed in a SD scenario.........carry the .22

and just wondering.........if 1 round of the .45 would kill ......and three rounds of a .22 would not.......why would it matter if you struck the BG 3 times or not? your still dead. hes not lol

Last edited:

09jisaac

you might hit me three times. but first round out would hit you once..........in the head lol

your new here...........but what you will realize is 99% of us train train and train........some of us have been in combat. and can make single shots under stress. and most of us can easily hit our target.

if you have no other choice. .22 works..........if you want to get killed in a SD scenario.........carry the .22

and just wondering.........if 1 round of the .45 would kill ......and three rounds of a .22 would not.......why would it matter if you struck the BG 3 times or not? your still dead. hes not lol

A .22 is better than the gun you don't have.... That being said I leave my .22 in the safe and carry a 9....

Some people do think the .22 is a good defensive caliber, but notice how few people carry around a .22 that is actually likely to get in a firefight.

SickPythons

I am new to the site, yes but I'm not new to shooting.

I wasn't kidding in the original post. I actually want people to try the exercise. I know people will try to brush it off but until you really get on the range and see those groups side-by-side, you're just not going to get it.

People spend too much time shooting at bull's eyes and saying what good shots they are.
If you can get that initial shot off perfect every time with your .45, more power to you, but you're nuts if you think you wouldn't miss in a real life situation. Follow-up shooting is more important in my book.

carry for myself

A .22 is better than the gun you don't have.... That being said I leave my .22 in the safe and carry a 9....

Some people do think the .22 is a good defensive caliber, but notice how few people carry around a .22 that is actually likely to get in a firefight.

i have a buddy who has a scar in the center of his chest. he was coming out of a store in boston when a thug tried to rob him with a jennings .22 , he laughed at the guy and he shot him. point blank in the chest. the round pierced the skin *he wasn't even wearing a shirt* bounced off his breast plate and fell on the ground directly in front of him.........suffice to say the BG ran like hell.

after seeing this i would only use a .22 if i had no choice whatsoever. NTM .22 auto is highly known for jamming in semi-autos. so getting off 3 shots is difficult in itself lol.

i wouldn't carry one unless i have no other choice.

Billy D

Obviously 22 boy is just a troll looking for attention. You actually think a 22 is more accurate than a .45? A .22 is better than nothing sure, but that why my ONLY gun is a .45. I had tested about 10-12 pistols before I made my choice, BOTH .22's jammed up multiple times. The slug simply isnt heavey enugh to cycle the pistol every time. I have put maybe a thousand rounds through 9mm;s and .45's without a single jam or malfunction of any kind. Here in michigan, winter is coming, go ahead and shoot me with your girly .22 throug my carhart coat and a couple more layers i prolly wont even feel it.
Also.. trajectory comes into factor, bullet weight. Hell, Bradey was shhot in the head from a few feet away, and while he didnt fare too well.. hes alive. if that were a .45 or even a 9,, he would be dead on the scene.
Keep your .22, il stick to the big boy gun.

SickPythons

Since when do people not die from .22's? Sometimes people don't die when they are shot.

50 cent - shot 9 times 9mm... alive and well. I know I know, the 9mm doesn't qualify in this crowd either. I'm sure a bunch of bad shots with a .45 would have done the trick.

The problem is that you all assume that you're going to hit your target. It is much easier to hit and keep hitting with a smaller caliber.

SourKraut

The problem is that you all assume that you're going to hit your target. It is much easier to hit and keep hitting with a smaller caliber.

There are a lot of good reasons to carry a .22 rimfire. I have carried a .22 rimfire.

If you think that accuracy and reliability are good reasons to carry a rimfire, you ought to get your head checked.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Back before y'alls' time...

there was a competition that shot .22 rimfire at old fashioned milk bottle caps, like an inch in diameter for glass bottles delivered to your door, "They came to visit, not to stay. Return our bottles everyday."

Anyway, the competition was for minimum TIR - Total Indicated Runout - on a .22 caliber mandrel.

Badger Johnson

I believe this gentleman is trying to think out-of-the-box, rather than troll.

The 'best gun' for you is a combination of:
1. The gun you will carry (i.e. not too big, uncomfortable)
2. The gun you are most accurate with (9mm vs .40);
3. The gun which is less stressful to shoot (.357 vs 9mm);
4. A gun which is not too big or too small (LCP vs 1911 vs a mid-size like the LC9);
5. A gun which 'behaves' (is reliable, no stovepipes, misfeeds, muzzle flip);
6. A gun which we can find 'THE' holster for your needs (odd guns, laser guarded, rail accessories too much trouble);
7. A rig, carry and tote which is basically 'transparent' to put on, store, take off, go to the bathroom, etc.).
8. Ammo or parts aren't too hard to find;
9. Trigger has special attention to it (upgrading, nice pull, not too long);
10. Has the right safety features for you needs (none/long trigger pull minis, 1911 L&L, grip and trigger safeties, etc.)
11. Not too handicapped (i.e. Cali-legal);

...and things like that

It's a bit premature to decide based on 1 or 2 seasons of carrying. Look at where you are and what you can carry/are carrying in 3 years, 5 years.

For example, if I will carry OWB 10% of the time, IWB 70% of the time, and in a fanny pack 99.9% of the time, it makes sense to do that. Otherwise in three years of never needing your firearm (like most people living in low crime areas) you're gonna end up throwing your LCP in the bottom of your backpack or purse, but at least you have it.

$.02

Dreamer

Since when do people not die from .22's? Sometimes people don't die when they are shot.

50 cent - shot 9 times 9mm... alive and well. I know I know, the 9mm doesn't qualify in this crowd either. I'm sure a bunch of bad shots with a .45 would have done the trick.

Pope John Paul II was shot with 4 9mm rounds and lived for another 2 decades.

President James A. Garfield was shot with a .442 Webley, and it took 11 weeks for him to die, due to complications. Today, with modern medical procedures, he would have surely survived.

President Theodore Roosevelt was shot in the chest with a .38 and not only survived, but insisted on finishing the campaign speech he was giving when he was shot.

But if you talk to ANY trauma surgeon, they will tell you that the VAST majority of the DOA gunshots they get were shot with something .32 caliber or smaller, mostly .25 and .22LR..

And if the .22 is such a lousy round, why did both the CIA and the KGB standardize on it for assassination pistols in the Cold War?

RFK was shot with an Iverson .22 pistol, and died on the spot. (of course, he was shot with an 8-shot pistol that somehow managed to fire 9 or 10 rounds, several of which were of a larger caliber...)

Would I carry a .22 as a primary self-defense weapon? No, not unless I had no other alternative.

But saying that it is NOT an effective round is simply not true--shot placement is EVERYTHING.

In properly-trained hands, a new #2 pencil can make you dead before your shoulders hit the ground, people...

Last edited:

j4l

Nah, I get his "point" and it's merely a common-sense one- less recoil, etc.
BUT- said bullet-with less recoil or not- still needs to be capable of doing the deed. In the right hands, and in the right circumstances, sure a .22 can do the trick.
But, is it something you are willing to stake your life, or the lives of those around you on?
No thanks, I'll pass, and send 230 grains, 2 -each, of John Browning's finest downrange instead.
And, because Im not a recoil-sensitive sissy, I'll practice with said finest until I'm quiet deadly with it, indeed.

And forget factoring in x3 or what-not- jog in place for 3 min. as fast as you can, THEN run that drill, and factor in actual biological stress into that equation.