• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH UNIFIED PD AND OCing?

JesseKslc

:banghead: Im still nervous to OC although there seems to be a lot of support in the Salt Lake county area. I currently live in Taylorsville city but go everywhere from Herriman to Bountiful regularly and would like to know if anybody has had any issues with Unified PD (Mainly because they are the primary PD in the majority of these places) or any other PDs? Im young and a new advocate to this great cause. . . Thanks:D

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Do you agree on the assumption?

Definitely not.

In a small, defined geographical area/region, the OCers may or may not have noticed your thread in this time frame.

Also, OCers are generally a pretty supportive bunch, nearly eager to to chip in advice, give opinions, and pontificate. (Although, I may be "projecting" my own predisposition onto others. :))

So, if any had read the thread, I'm guessing they would have chipped in. Give it time.

JesseKslc

Thanks!

I OC all of the time in Davis county and have never had a problem. I have also OCed in Salt Lake without issue.

Thats great to hear :). I just can't receive my permit for a while so im trying to do what i can but don't want to get into trouble. . . I spoke to an officer at walmart in taylorsville the other night and talked to him about OCing and he seemed to understand the laws just fine, he told me "there is nothing wrong about it, it is your right to bear arms". Made me feel a little better all though i know there are others that are quite contrary. . .

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
Hey Jesse, I noticed that you joined UtahConcealedCarry.com as well. That is where most of the Utah crowd, including us OC'ers, hang out most of the time.

I have carried openly a bit in the Salt Lake Valley without incident.

Not sure about the rest of the UPD, but there are these 3 employees... :eek: :rolleyes:

hermannr

Just remember when you OC. DO NOT be a Nervous Nelly, wear a good secure holster and if you feel the need to check your carry, use your elbow.

The quickest way to get unfavorable notice is to be constantly checking your carry with your hand...OK?

JesseKslc

Thanks!

Just remember when you OC. DO NOT be a Nervous Nelly, wear a good secure holster and if you feel the need to check your carry, use your elbow.

The quickest way to get unfavorable notice is to be constantly checking your carry with your hand...OK?

Thank you for the advice, I see where that would get people nervous. :lol: I have a serpa retention holster with my beautiful Sig P220 ;). I have been reading a lot of stuff in these forums and reading Mitch Vilos' book too. Im confident i will be ok!

JesseKslc

Hello!

Hey Jesse, I noticed that you joined UtahConcealedCarry.com as well. That is where most of the Utah crowd, including us OC'ers, hang out most of the time.

I have carried openly a bit in the Salt Lake Valley without incident.

Not sure about the rest of the UPD, but there are these 3 employees... :eek: :rolleyes:

Ha ha well thank you. I e-mailed BCI and received an email stating that it is legal to open carry. I will carry that with me as a little reference along with the utah statutes in case of an uninformed LEO/ OEO. . !

JesseKslc

E-mail from UPD.

Title
Mr
First Name *
Jesse
Last Name *
K
Email Address *
Cell Phone Number *
801-
Enter Word Verification in box below *
6gpypj
Comments *

Bottom of Form 1

“I was just curious on how many of your officers know and understand the Constitution of Utah, Utah Law and Federal Law regarding firearms laws and citizens rights (e.g. The right to keep and bear arms)? If they do that is great news and also if they do, do they stay current with the knowledge of any changes. Thank you, Jesse.”

UPD officer training re: constituti​onal right

Michael Barker [email]MBarker@updsl.org
to me

show details Nov 21 (9 days ago)
from

Michael Barker MBarker@updsl.org

to

"Jessenashley.2011@gmail.com" <Jessenashley.2011@gmail.com>

date

Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM

subject

UPD officer training re: constitutional right

mailed-by

updsl.org

Dear Mr. Ashley:

Your email as been forwarded to me for response. I can assure you that our officers receive training in constitutional rights, including the myriad federal and state firearms law. I personally update our officers on changes in the law on a reguar basis. They also receive extensive training from our training unit and through attendance at seminars and trainings hosted by other agencies.

The UPD is committed to serving the public in a way that protects the constitutional rights of all people.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Mike Barker
Chief Legal Counsel
Unified Police Department

He used my wifes name ha ha, anyways I emailed UPD in regards to their officers knowledge of the laws and this is the response i received. :rolleyes:

utbagpiper

Banned
Thats great to hear :). I just can't receive my permit for a while so im trying to do what i can but don't want to get into trouble. . . I spoke to an officer at walmart in taylorsville the other night and talked to him about OCing and he seemed to understand the laws just fine, he told me "there is nothing wrong about it, it is your right to bear arms". Made me feel a little better all though i know there are others that are quite contrary. . .

While Utah has mostly eliminated the State level Gun Free School Zone that extends beyond the school grounds property, bear in the mind that the federal GFSZ (with its 1000 foot radius out from the property line) still exists on the books. If I'm not mistaken, the State GFSZ beyond property lines only comes into effect if you are committing some other crime. Whether violation of the federal GFSZ would constitute that other crime or not, I do not know. Without a permit, the State and federal GFSZ on actual school property most certainly applies to you as well. The State GFSZ includes the actual property of all colleges and universities in the State.

So do be careful in where you carry without a permit and realize that outside your own car and off your own property, in the SL valley or other urban areas of the State, there is a really good chance that without a permit you stand a very good chance of being in violation of at least the federal GFSZ 1000' range almost everywhere (including in the parking lot of one of the well known gun stores). Knowing this, try to avoid upsetting any cops who may take issue with your carrying without a permit. Last thing you need is one deciding to go digging for whether you are in technical violation of the federal or State GFSZ law. Again, I'm not sure, but disorderly conduct (aka contempt of cop) might just be enough of a "crime" to trigger Utah's 1000' GFSZ.

Also, while you don't state the reason you can't get a permit for a while, realize that if that reason is an ineligibility for the permit (age or something on your record), you want to consider how that looks if push comes to shove while OCing.

I do not intend to discourage you at all. But I do want to help you be aware of some possible risks that I haven't seen raised yet.

All the best.

Charles

JesseKslc

Re: utbagpiper, charles

Thank you for your concern and thoughts, I intend to obey all the laws state and federal, the last thing I want is to get into trouble. I dont have issues with authority, never have and dont intend to. I am respectful to everyone, LEO or citizen ;). No reason to be a sour apple!

Utah_Patriot

I live in Kearns and open carry on a regular basis also in tville with no problems.

I interact with UPD and Taylorville on a regular basis never had anything major happen.

Most officers are okay with my firearm and even have meaningfull conversations.

If you would like I am always free on weekends and fridays if you need anything or just want to go out for a while.

I would be happy to sit down and go over the basics if you would like.

My number is at the bottom of my post where the signature is call anytime.

I have great contacts with UPD and Tville.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk