• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

whats the law

rvd4now

whats the law on carrying a mossberg 500 in your car and or a ar 15 in the car...

do they have to be in the trunk, or can i have them in the back seat of my car..

i guess im asking what are transport laws.. Id like to keep on of thme in my car, for that just in case moment..

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Cpl = concealed pistol lic. :)

So to carry a 12GA or .223 Cal [5.56mm] in the car it must be modded to "become" a pistol and registered as such per MI. law.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf
There is a lot to get jammed up on here so study the law before you do anything. One user you can PM is lapeer20m if he doesn't mind / he carries a 12GA in this config.

If you don't want the hassles then just use transport mode This means stored in the trunk (or if no trunk, in a spot inaccessible to the occupants - meaning as far away from them as possible) in an "approved" container, unloaded etc... ,as you would with any long gun on range, hunting trips etc...
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Here is what the law says regarding long gun transport:
750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not
more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

So the first thing is the gun MUST BE UNLOADED. As long as it's unloaded it can either be taken down, enclosed in a case, put in the trunk, or inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle. It does not need to be all of them just unloaded AND in any condition listed from a-d.

lil_freak_66

So to carry a 12GA or .223 Cal [5.56mm] in the car it must be modded to "become" a pistol and registered as such per MI. law.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf
There is a lot to get jammed up on here so study the law before you do anything. One user you can PM is lapeer20m if he doesn't mind / he carries a 12GA in this config.

If you don't want the hassles then just use transport mode This means stored in the trunk (or if no trunk, in a spot inaccessible to the occupants - meaning as far away from them as possible) in an "approved" container, unloaded etc... ,as you would with any long gun on range, hunting trips etc...
Hope this helps.

Best way to go if you have a CPL, i know a few people on here do it and im sure there are many more i dont know about.

Kel Tec KSG would be a good one when they finally come out, its 14+1 of 12 ga. and is only 26" long

AR pistols, AK pistols, pistol gripped Mossberg shotguns, all kinds of ways to go about it.

personally my favorite gun ive seen for vehicle carry in MI was an AK with a sidefolder and a red dot mounted scout style, gave the legal abilities of a handgun, while the power and shoulder firing capability of a regular rifle.

TheQ

There is a bill -- don't have the number right now -- SB-700 something (768?) that changes the definition of a pistol to the same as federal law, 26 inches.

I'm personally opposed to the bill. It would limit carrying a Mossberg 500 in you vehicle for SD ... :(