• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA trip ?'s on non-resident OC/CC

NGM9

Hello OC.org, Ive been a reader on here for awhile now but never posted. Apologize making a thread to confirm information, but I'm making another trip back to VA to see a buddy in the US Navy, and just wanted to get some info from my carrying brothers and sisters. My last trip I learned about the open carry in VA and about the concealed carry as my friend carried himself. Ive looked up the laws and read the forums about carrying as a resident, but havent been able to find solid information on non-resident carrying.

The most I *believe* I know as of now is that as a non-resident I am allowed to OC.

I was also told about a 5 year non-resident CC permit I can obtain and wanted a bit more info on that.

Is it the same as getting a permit for a resident CC? Or does it cost more/require different procedures.

I apologize again, hope to see some of you in VA soon!

mk4

howdy.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm has all the info.

1- no issues with oc in va for non-residents as long as not otherwise proscribed from owning/possessing. just make yourself aware of where you may not carry.

2- residents apply through their local circuit court clerk's office, while non-resident chps are processed through the va state police.

3- maximum fees, by statute, are $50 for residents, but a good number of circuits charge less, while non-residents are assessed $100.

4- residents are not required to supply photographs and an increasing number circuits no longer require fingerprinting, while non-residents are required to supply both.

5- residents and non-residents are required to submit proof of basic firearm safety competence for an initial permit, but not for renewal.

hth.

NGM9

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for, I appreciate the help!

Have a good thanksgiving!

scouser

If you happen to have another non resident permit from another state, for example if you have a Utah permit, check to see if it is already valid for conceal carry in Virginia as there would be no need to pay again for another permit. In this example a Utah permit is valid in Virginia so no need to get a VA non-res permit.

If you're unsure how to find out about which permits Virginia will recognize, you can visit the appropriate page on the VA State Police's website

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
The good news - a friend of mine recently obtained his non-resident permit in Virginia, and from mailing to receipt, he says it took only about 20 days.

NGM9

At this time, I do not have an CC permits, but thanks for the info, 20 days isnt long at all.

Just one more thing, must the extra mag be visible? Or can I seal it in the pouch already sewn into my 5.11 pants. (Or is an extra even allowed)

Baked on Grease

I believe only the actual fire arm falls under CC rules, ammo/accessories do not matter OC/CC.

Also, bear in mind the court can take 45 days from reciept of application to process your app. If they are busy or lazy it might take longer than 20 days to get to you. Especially when you take into account mailing times.

And yes extra is certainly allowed. I carry two spare mags for a total of 58 bullets for my XDm9... in case of zombies you understand... :p
Sent using tapatalk

Last edited: