• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealing magazines under 21

Don.Az

I just picked up a 1911 today through a private sale. I was wondering if there is any laws against concealing a extra loaded Magazine if the gun is being open carried. I'm under 21 so i know i can't conceal the gun, I just didn't know if that includes mags. Thanks!

carry for myself

in order to conceal a firearm it has to be a firearm. law states that a firearm is any object capable of producing or firing a missile *aka bullet* also the ATF only regards a firearm as the PART of the firearm containing the serial # . therefore a glock is a firearm because it produces and fires a missile and the barrel, frame and slide are marked with a serial number.

that being said a magazine is a magazine. it is a hollow piece of metal that holds ammunition. therefore it is not a firearm and could not be charged as such. the charge would be "concealing ammunition or a device used to carry ammunition" but the issue with that charge is.......it doesnt exist.

now under 21 is up to AZ law. as i am aware AZ you do not need a permit to conceal or OC. much like alaska and vermont. therefore *i may be wrong and am having issues finding the statues* you may even be able to CC under 21 but maybe another member who knows the AZ laws can confirm or deny that.

however concealing ammunition or a mag is not illegal as far as i know.

xmanhockey7

in order to conceal a firearm it has to be a firearm. law states that a firearm is any object capable of producing or firing a missile *aka bullet* also the ATF only regards a firearm as the PART of the firearm containing the serial # . therefore a glock is a firearm because it produces and fires a missile and the barrel, frame and slide are marked with a serial number.

that being said a magazine is a magazine. it is a hollow piece of metal that holds ammunition. therefore it is not a firearm and could not be charged as such. the charge would be "concealing ammunition or a device used to carry ammunition" but the issue with that charge is.......it doesnt exist.

now under 21 is up to AZ law. as i am aware AZ you do not need a permit to conceal or OC. much like alaska and vermont. therefore *i may be wrong and am having issues finding the statues* you may even be able to CC under 21 but maybe another member who knows the AZ laws can confirm or deny that.

however concealing ammunition or a mag is not illegal as far as i know.

You must be 21 to conceal in AZ with or without a permit.

exelci

Welcome

Arizona law prohibits CC'ING a "firearm" under 21, the law is very clear about CC.
Bullets are technically considered "explosives" not "firearms" so you’re good to go.

Remember to carry responsibly and try to remember or carry a copy in your wallet of the ARS that correspond to OC’ing under 21.

Stay safe, and welcome to OC.

Phoenix David

I don't think loaded ammunition is classified as an explosive at least at the federal level and I am fairly sure Arizona doesn't classify it as an explosive , if it was there are strict federal and state storage laws and it wouldn't be sitting on the shelf at Wal-Mart.

As far as I can find the law is silent on the concealment of magazines.

Remember this is Arizona not California. :D

exelci

I don't think loaded ammunition is classified as an explosive at least at the federal level and I am fairly sure Arizona doesn't classify it as an explosive , if it was there are strict federal and state storage laws and it wouldn't be sitting on the shelf at Wal-Mart.

As far as I can find the law is silent on the concealment of magazines.

Remember this is Arizona not California. :D

§ 173.50 Class 1—Definitions.
(a) Explosive. For the purpose of this
subchapter, an explosive means any substance
or article, including a device,
which is designed to function by explosion
(i.e., an extremely rapid release of
gas and heat) or which, by chemical reaction
within itself, is able to function
in a similar manner even if not designed
to function by explosion, unless
the substance or article is otherwise
classed under the provision of this subchapter.

"Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools)"

Is this not right? I got this info a while back from another forum, Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I just picked up a 1911 today through a private sale. I was wondering if there is any laws against concealing a extra loaded Magazine if the gun is being open carried. I'm under 21 so i know i can't conceal the gun, I just didn't know if that includes mags. Thanks!

-NOT-SURE-IF-SERIOUS.jpg

The single digit post count, specifically 1, makes this seem a bit...you know...trollish? but not too much of a troll question to incite ZOMFG .22 IS NOT THE BEST CALIBER YOU IDIOT...but possibly a valid question? idunno.

Don.Az

It is a serious question. Didn't see anything in ars 13-3102 about it but wanted to double check before I started carrying.