Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd walmart incident non OC but relivant

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar

Odd walmart incident non OC but relivant

went to Walmart in scarborough last night around 11. need a 100rd box of WWB 9mm for the range today. picked it up, went to cash out. got ID'd per usual then something odd happened the clerk asked me "is this for a handgun or a rifle" not thinking too much i said "handgun" she then punched in my DRIVERS LICENSE number THEN my birth date.......... I've never had this happen or heard of this happening anywhere ever.........is Walmart now tracking who buys what and how much of it?
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

WOW WTF? I would not have let them punch license number in. Did you ask questions as to why they did that?

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors
    Last edited by Schlitz; 11-20-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by carry for myself View Post
    went to Walmart in scarborough last night around 11. need a 100rd box of WWB 9mm for the range today. picked it up, went to cash out. got ID'd per usual then something odd happened the clerk asked me "is this for a handgun or a rifle" not thinking too much i said "handgun" she then punched in my DRIVERS LICENSE number THEN my birth date.......... I've never had this happen or heard of this happening anywhere ever.........is Walmart now tracking who buys what and how much of it?
    I bought a 100 9mm couple weeks ago. They ask me the same question and I never gave it second thought. You're right though, strange?

I've never heard of that, and I wouldn't allow it. The DL wouldn't leave my hand, but the clerk could see it to verify my date of birth.

It's silly, but it's either legal or illegal for someone 18-20 to buy ammo, depending on whether it's for a long gun or handgun -- even if it's the same ammo, and even if the buyer legally owns both long guns and handguns chambered in that caliber. "For" a rifle is legal, "for" a handgun is illegal.

I think there is an age restriction on ammunition. You must be 18 years or older to buy rifle ammunition and 21 years or older for pistol ammunition. I have only been asked if the ammo was for a rifle or pistol when buying .22LR because it is used for both rifle and pistol.

My drivers licence doesn't leave my glove box. All that is needed is an ID issued from a state or the federal government that has your date of birth on it. I sometimes use my CHL or some other id because its fun to throw them off, they are expecting a drivers licence that has a bar code that they can scan.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Wal-Mart is operating correctly within the scope of the law.

FFLs are prohibited from selling or transferring handguns or handgun ammunition to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. Id. Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (5).
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by N605TW View Post
    I think there is an age restriction on ammunition. You must be 18 years or older to buy rifle ammunition and 21 years or older for pistol ammunition. I have only been asked if the ammo was for a rifle or pistol when buying .22LR because it is used for both rifle and pistol.
    My drivers licence doesn't leave my glove box. All that is needed is an ID issued from a state or the federal government that has your date of birth on it. I sometimes use my CHL or some other id because its fun to throw them off, they are expecting a drivers licence that has a bar code that they can scan.
    bingo. my guess is that they've wised up that lots of "rifle ammo" can be and is used in pistols, and ask that question to try and trick the 18-20 year olds trying to buy pistol ammo. why they really care is anyone's guess, but the law is the law. I'm sure the sales associate is just going through the motions to follow the rules.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

FFLs are prohibited from selling or transferring handguns or handgun ammunition to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. Id. Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (5).
    I think that the complaint is not with the question or the proof of age requirement, but with the fact that the cashier is punching the drivers license number into the computer where it is stored. Viewing is one thing, writing down and storing your personal information is another. The law does not require nor does it authorize a company to collect and store people's drivers license numbers. This, coupled with the fact that many store chains computer systems have recently been breached and computer data compromised makes me unlikely to want my DL number available to the next hacker who wants to hack Walmart's system.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    ----snip---. The law does not require nor does it authorize a company to collect and store people's drivers license numbers. This, coupled with the fact that many store chains computer systems have recently been breached and computer data compromised makes me unlikely to want my DL number available to the next hacker who wants to hack Walmart's system.
    This does not need to be authorized or required by statute.

Understand the reluctance, but Wal-Mart as a private entity may set higher standards - not unlike "we card anyone under 40 years of age for alcohol and tobacco products."

If you don't want your information in their system, shop somewhere else.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

The Wal-Marts here in SC, atleast in the "Upstate Area", are not entering DL numbers when buying handgun ammo... yet. The cashiers just ask me if I'm "old enough" (I look younger than I am), and I reply "yes", and the transaction continues. I've only been carded a few times when buying handgun ammo, I never let my ID leave my wallet, and I never let my wallet leave my hand.
    Last edited by carsontech; 11-21-2011 at 07:46 PM.

I've seen complaints about Tahr-zhay doing the same thing:
    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...s_the_ret.html
    http://www.papersplease.org/wp/2008/...-id-card-data/

Most people who have commented seem to agree that checking age is one thing, but keeping personal data without consent is right out.

Several people suggest leaving your DL in your car (or on your motorcycle), which is the only place you really do need it, & carrying a non-swipable ID such as a carry permit. I do this, & it throws store clerks all the time.

Sometimes I use my ID from volunteering w/ a branch of the military. (Even better than a carry permit, because it doesn't have my address.)

Have also seen the suggestion to put painter's tape or something similar over the bar code - won't let it be scanned, can be easily removed if needed by a LEO.
    Or just keep the license in your hand, don't relinquish control.
    The clerk can read your DOB & enter it without having it in hand.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 11-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Interesting report.

I normally buy my ammo from my LGS and this has never happened.

Maybe, it's just a WalMart thing. If so, I'll not buy ammo from them.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Moderator / Administrator
    Unls you look young, don't show any ID. I made walmart in Kingstowne, VA back down on that the last time I bought ammo.

Refuse. Make them pay with their time. Complain to manager. Complain to walmart.

To me it's not a big deal but I did get asked what I was going to use the ammo for and I"m in my fifties. I think it's just store policy to have their employee ask.

I have never been asked for an ID from our local Walmart when buying ammo. Course I'm 67 and I guess they think I'm old enough. I have been asked my birthdate but that was all.

My feeling is that it is a cashier being anal. When an old fart like me buys beer, they, around here, just type in a date that is over 21. Don't understand why they need to keep any information. They only need to prove over 21. Or 18, whatever..If you are over 21, there is no reason to slow the sale of any ammo.
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    My feeling is that it is a cashier being anal.
    More likely, it's just a cashier who has no idea why, only that the cash register is prompting her for the customer's date of birth.

I just found it upsetting for the reason of...well where does it stop? And where does that information go? If I buy 10 250rnd umc boxes is the atf going to show up at my house? Why does walmart care what I buy as long as my ID states I'm over 21? Just reminds me why I shop at cabelas lol spend tens of thousands there a year. Only id'd when I buy guns lol
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

I just found it upsetting for the reason of...well where does it stop? And where does that information go? If I buy 10 250rnd umc boxes is the atf going to show up at my house? Why does walmart care what I buy as long as my ID states I'm over 21? Just reminds me why I shop at cabelas lol spend tens of thousands there a year. Only id'd when I buy guns lol
    Prone to exaggerate much?

Really? $10,000, $20,000, $30,000 per year at Cabelas?

You do all of that on the hourly income of a hotel groundsman per your profile or did you win the lottery?

Seems to me that the old persona is creeping out of the closet - might be time to close that door.

Same with me at my two local gun stores.

The only time I produce an ID is when I buy a firearm; but never for ammunition purchases.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Prone to exaggerate much?

Really? $10,000, $20,000, $30,000 per year at Cabelas?

You do all of that on the hourly income of a hotel groundsman per your profile or did you win the lottery?

Seems to me that the old persona is creeping out of the closet - might be time to close that door.

what i do for a job to pass my time has nothing to do with my monetary stability or how much money i do or do not have. which i will also add is none of your business. and i would appreciate it if the personal attacks would stop. this thread is about a serious infringement on our rights to keep our information private. not your issues with me.

now back to the main point. i spend A LOT of money on firearms, holsters, cleaning supplies , ammo and accessories at cabelas. and i have never been asked for ID, nor have i ever had any personal information added to their computer systems in doing so other than the obvious ATF forms needed to purchase a gun. walmart on the other hand has taken it onto themselves *with or without state + federal law* backing that decision . this worries me. its not just checking age. the cashier asked for ID. i provided she added my date of birth, then asked the pistol or rifle question. and THEN moved forward to enter my drivers license number. which in my mind and i am sure in the minds of others is way un-cool.

what i do for a job to pass my time has nothing to do with my monetary stability or how much money i do or do not have. which i will also add is none of your business. and i would appreciate it if the personal attacks would stop. this thread is about a serious infringement on our rights to keep our information private. not your issues with me.

..snip..
    This has absolutely nothing to do with personal attacks - indeed none made.

It has everything to do with the veracity of those that post here. In my memory, each time you posted questionable information, you avoided the issue claiming personal attack or stalking. That is not the case; the claims are yours not mine - you own your words once posted here.

This has absolutely nothing to do with personal attacks - indeed none made.

It has everything to do with the veracity of those that post here. In my memory, each time you posted questionable information, you avoided the issue claiming personal attack or stalking. That is not the case; the claims are yours not mine - you own your words once posted here.

look i do not wish to drop to the level of arguing on a public forum about who does what and who does not. there is enough of that on here already.

if you do not agree with something i say or i am in-correct. feel free to correct. that is how we all learn. if your opinion differs which un-redoubtably it will seeing as we are all different peoples. that is fine as well . feel free to state your opinion, as i will state mine. but as i said in my previous post. whether or not i have the assets to obtain one firearm per year or one hundred is my business. and mine alone. i could have a rather large account, or a very small one. but that is my knowledge. not yours nor anyone else's. i give you the respect of not questioning your home life, finances or actions on this board or abroad. i would ask you do the same. how much i can afford to spend or not spend has no relevance to the topic of the thread. i would ask that we stick to the topic and not stoop to --comments removed by moderator--. Since my account has been up i believe i have showed nothing but respect for those who use this board. i intend to keep it that way. whether our opinions are different or not.
    Last edited by carry for myself; 11-23-2011 at 03:00 PM.

....snip....

walmart on the other hand has taken it onto themselves *with or without state + federal law* backing that decision . this worries me. its not just checking age. the cashier asked for ID. i provided she added my date of birth, then asked the pistol or rifle question. and THEN moved forward to enter my drivers license number. which in my mind and i am sure in the minds of others is way un-cool.
    Some people can't grasp the concept that Wal-Mart is private property. They do NOT need authority of state or federal law to set policy. The just need to not be in violation of such laws.

Shop there if you want, act and speak responsibly with courtesy and dignity even if presented with unfavorable requests..............or take your money elsewhere. You choose.

Some people can't grasp the concept that Wal-Mart is private property. They do NOT need authority of state or federal law to set policy. The just need to not be in violation of such laws.

Shop there if you want, act and speak responsibly with courtesy and dignity even if presented with unfavorable requests..............or take your money elsewhere. You choose.
    i have made that choice. my money is going elsewhere i just figured i would make this issue a known fact to others, so they. can make a choice as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast