• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Radford - No Guns? NO FUNDS! Operation Campus Safety Protest 12/07/11 11AM

Sesrun

VCDL Operation Campus Safety will be at Radford University on
Wednesday, December 7th from 11am-2pm.

The RU Republicans have agreed to sponsor the demonstration.

The demonstration will be outside the Hulbert building. More
details regarding parking information and speakers will follow.

Great thanks to all those who are helping to arrange this
demonstration. Also thanks goes to John Wilburn who helped
arrange the demonstration and has donated 2 passes for a
Concealed Handgun Class by CHPclass.com.

Sesrun

1. Radford Operation Campus Safety - Wednesday, December 7th (AND correction to previous alert)

The Radford University Operation Campus Safety is going to be held on Wednesday, December 7th from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM in front of the Hulbert building. We will be handing out brochures and "No guns? NO FUNDS!" stickers, carrying signs, and talking to students, faculty, and staff.

VCDL would like to thank the College Republicans at Radford University for sponsoring the event. Ryan A. Bruch and John Wilburn have worked hard to bring this together and we also thank them!

Here is a Facebook page for the event:

http://www.facebook.com/events/189828794438832/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) wants to interview Virginia gun owners

Christina Wilby with the BBC contacted me. Christina sent me this:

"...we're developing a series called Coming Here Soon for BBC3 in the UK, which is a presenter-fronted series that looks at what life is like for teenagers living in the US. The aim is to look at different aspects of young people's lives in America to give an insight into similarities and differences with life for young people in the UK, in particular looking at topics that are especially relevant to our audience. One area that we've highlighted is girls and young women carrying guns on campus and the better understanding of the place of guns in young lives for protection and hunting in the US. We would like to speak with young women who are pro-gun and feel that learning how to use a gun is a valid part of everyday life skills. I was wondering if you knew of any such girls and anyone who is campaigning for more Guns to be carried by women in the US on campus."

In a followup email, Christina wrote:

"I have just spoken to my Producer and if there is anyone who carries concealed in general but not on campus especially females who are going to the protest [at Radford - December 8th - see alert later tonight] that would be fine as well. Also if there are students who want to talk to me and carry concealed but not on campus that is fine as well. Basically any students who carried concealed even if not on campus."

If you are going to be at the Radford protest on Wednesday, December 7th, and want to be interviewed, let me know and I will pass on your information to Christina.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Changed to Generic and a few incidentals

[video=vimeo;33041747]http://vimeo.com/33041747[/video]

Last edited:

Sesrun

AAR
-----
About 8 VCDL members, and 4 Radford College Republicans maned the tables all day handing out pamphlets and stickers. We generally had a swarm of about 20 around the tables all day. Two anti's (Goddard, et cetera) did show up to counter-protest (without registering with the university or following the rules, of course). Overall, within the confines of university policy, the demonstration went well and we spread word of VCDL and the issues at hand. The BBC3 Factual Department had two reporters from the UK at the demonstration who interviewed people all day regarding the issues being discussed. WSLS and WDBJ also made appearances. WDBJ did an interview with President Van Cleave which aired last night at 11pm.

Media Coverage
--------
WSLS10[video]
WDBJ7
Roaonke Times [from 30 NOV]