• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trigger Talk Radio - Open Carry

Aknazer

Do you have internet service?

Maybe try a search.

That doesn't state why YOU don't like them. The main complaint I've seen is people saying the release button causes the trigger finger to curve into the trigger guard and risk a negligent discharge. Personally I haven't had any issues with my serpa so I ask again, why don't YOU like them. If you don't like them because of what other people have said and not your personal experiences that's fine, but at least state a few of those reasons.

TheQ

That doesn't state why YOU don't like them. The main complaint I've seen is people saying the release button causes the trigger finger to curve into the trigger guard and risk a negligent discharge. Personally I haven't had any issues with my serpa so I ask again, why don't YOU like them. If you don't like them because of what other people have said and not your personal experiences that's fine, but at least state a few of those reasons.

Snow, dirt, rocks/pebbles can cause the retention release button to lock up also. That's why I ditched my SERPA. My new SafariLand ALS doesn't wiggle nearly as much either...!

TheQ

I commend the show for so far be willing to hear the other side and perhaps even admit they were wrong on a few points originally. More journalism should be like this.

B

Bikenut

Snow, dirt, rocks/pebbles can cause the retention release button to lock up also. That's why I ditched my SERPA. My new SafariLand ALS doesn't wiggle nearly as much either...!
Apparently the Safariland has also experienced problems due to debris causing the release button to lock up.
"Service Bulletin for ALS™ Holster Users

Safariland has been made aware of a situation where the Provo, UT Police Department experienced malfunctions while training with the 6360 ALS holster on the range.

-snip-"

*****The entire bulletin referencing gravel being caught in the holsters causing guns to be trapped in the holsters can be read at:

http://www.safariland.com/NewsPressDetail.aspx?Id=131&Category=4

I'm not defending the Serpa nor am I denigrating the Safariland. What I am doing is pointing out that both holsters have a catch mechanism retention system (of different design but still a catch mechanism) and both have had a similar problem with debris being caught in the works.

I'm beginning to think (I'm still looking for info) that any holster that utilizes a catch mechanism retention system has a possibility of debris being caught in the works. Now.... which of the many holsters out there with a catch mechanism retention system has a real (not just he said/she said) lesser chance of debris mucking up the works due to different designs of the catch mechanism???? I have no clue.

But at this time I do understand three things....

-All man made things, including holsters, require routine cleaning/maintenance.

-If I've been rolling around in the dirt/snow/gravel it would be wise for me to either draw before falling on my arse and/or not reholster before checking for debris.

-A possible holster malfunction (regardless of the retention system) is just another reason to carry a BUG.

I want to make it clear that I really don't care which holster is better/worse than the other. I makes my choices based on the factors operative in my life and y'all make yours.

Of course there is another choice .... don't use a holster, any holster, that has a catch mechanism retention system.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
dougwg thinks he's so important that if you google him, his opinion on serpas will come up:monkey

Onnie

Apparently the Safariland has also experienced problems due to debris causing the release button to lock up.
"Service Bulletin for ALS™ Holster Users

Safariland has been made aware of a situation where the Provo, UT Police Department experienced malfunctions while training with the 6360 ALS holster on the range.

-snip-"

*****The entire bulletin referencing gravel being caught in the holsters causing guns to be trapped in the holsters can be read at:

http://www.safariland.com/NewsPressDetail.aspx?Id=131&Category=4

I'm not defending the Serpa nor am I denigrating the Safariland. What I am doing is pointing out that both holsters have a catch mechanism retention system (of different design but still a catch mechanism) and both have had a similar problem with debris being caught in the works.

I'm beginning to think (I'm still looking for info) that any holster that utilizes a catch mechanism retention system has a possibility of debris being caught in the works. Now.... which of the many holsters out there with a catch mechanism retention system has a real (not just he said/she said) lesser chance of debris mucking up the works due to different designs of the catch mechanism???? I have no clue.

But at this time I do understand three things....

-All man made things, including holsters, require routine cleaning/maintenance.

-If I've been rolling around in the dirt/snow/gravel it would be wise for me to either draw before falling on my arse and/or not reholster before checking for debris.

-A possible holster malfunction (regardless of the retention system) is just another reason to carry a BUG.

I want to make it clear that I really don't care which holster is better/worse than the other. I makes my choices based on the factors operative in my life and y'all make yours.

Of course there is another choice .... don't use a holster, any holster, that has a catch mechanism retention system.

I have two serpa's I wear, I do crawl in the dirt, in attics, in crawl spaces, under cars, in trees cutting limbs and I cut the lawn, i rake the lawn and I wressel (sp) with my grandkids in the yard.

i got the serpa caught on door jams, door knobs, the dogs paws and once it got washed and dryed. they have been subject to the blasting wind, gale force rain and even snow while exposed in the open to mother nature on my motorcycle.

Ive step on it, ive kneeled it and many times Ive slept with it. Ive droped the holster (no gun) in the drive way and did not realize it to the next day. Ive left the holster (no gun) on top of my car and drove off only to hear it scratch along the roof as it slid on to the street

and I still use the same ones every day with 100 percent confidence!

nearly 18 months of use I have had ZERO problems with putting the gun in the holster or taking it out, the release button has never failed to lock or failed to release.

I cant say ive "cleaned" it but I often run a rag through it to take out any debris that may have collected

I would buy more in the future

everybody told me not to buy a Hyundai in 2001, after 256,000 miles and only 1 trip to the shop, i think it served me well!

Last edited:

griffin

Please don't use anything "Serpa"
I carry a Five-seveN. If I want a retention paddle holster I'm pretty much stuck with Serpa. I do use the CQC rather than the base model, but still...

Last edited:

fozzy71

I carry a Five-seveN. If I want a retention paddle holster I'm pretty much stuck with Serpa. I do use the CQC rather than the base model, but still...

The FN 57 has a lot more options than my FNP9 (I always found them when shopping for a FNP holster). I had to modify a serpa designed for the XD. :uhoh:

xmanhockey7

I received a message from Clark Cast Media on youtube stating they are going to broadcast another segment of "Trigger Talk" and it will have Dick Cupka along with an OC advocate. Cupka has admitted to making mistakes on the last segment of Trigger Talk and from the sound of it they are going to talk about the legalities of open carry, correctly this time. Glad to see they are willing to fix the mistake.

stainless1911

Banned
door.gif

CV67 PAT

Were you the guy coming at him as he walked down the middle lane?

There isn't a center lane on Dixie out here. Only the double yellow line.

BOT: Looking forward to hearing the recant on the broadcast.

Also, I haven't had any problems with my SERPA. I've had it for almost 3 weeks now. And I've used it several times too. Of course since I don't put bullets in my Glock since 1987, because of all the ADs I have had with it going off for no reason at all, I likely won't have a AD with it in my SERPA. But I am still extra careful while even looking at it.

If more people left the bullets out of their Glocks, like I do, there would be fewer ADs with them. Just sayin'.