• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it legal to carry another persons gun?

Para1911

I dont live in Michigan but was wondering, is it legal for a CPL holder to barrow a gun to carry from another CPL holder? If so, could you please post a copy of the law.

Yooper

Yes, as long as the person borrowing the gun has a cpl, the person who loaned the gun does NOT need to have a cpl. I'll see if I can find the law....
Oh, this applies to handguns only, not to rifles/shotguns, anyone (except those prohibited) can loan/borrow them.

xmanhockey7

Here it is:
28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

cmdr_iceman71

Let's say the person in question does have a valid CPL but wishes to borrow someone's gun who is from a state where they do not require registration. What are they to do when detained for OCing and the LEOs try to run the serial numbers? The LEOs argument is: "We are confiscating the handgun because it isnt registered."

OngoingFreedom

Is this relevent to Michigan? I can't tell on Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OngoingFreedom

Thanks.

I guess I should add more... I just re-read my comment and realized it sounds sarcastic but was genuinely asked. Tapatalk works great but apparently leaves some info out, like when looking at new posts the forum the new post is from is a mystery.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Let's say the person in question does have a valid CPL but wishes to borrow someone's gun who is from a state where they do not require registration. What are they to do when detained for OCing and the LEOs try to run the serial numbers? The LEOs argument is: "We are confiscating the handgun because it isnt registered."

The law says you can possess any lawful pistol. The only way they could keep it lawfully is if it was reported stolen and was on some stolen list. Only 8 states require pistol registration so the odds are good that an out of state handgun is NOT registered.

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)Act 372 of 1927​
28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
....​
Sec. 12. (1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if theother individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using,or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from​
licensure as provided in section 12a.