Thread: Rental cabins won't allow guns on property?

Rental cabins won't allow guns on property?

Im here in northwestern NC, and my friend owns some rental cabins. I don't want to say who or what the name of the cabins are, but I was reading on the policies section of his website that "-No firearms are permitted on grounds at any time." Is this legal?? I realize that it is his property and he has the right to say what comes on it, but doesn't allowing no firearms infringe on the 2nd amendment rights of the person who is staying there? I know laws in some states (can't remember if NC has this) say that a landlord cannot ban firearms from coming into the apartment you're renting....this is kinda like the same thing. It just makes no sense to me why a law abiding citizen can be told he can't carry a gun in certain areas----in rental cabins, or gun free zones. Is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by NCtrueconservative View Post
    Im here in northwestern NC, and my friend owns some rental cabins. I don't want to say who or what the name of the cabins are, but I was reading on the policies section of his website that "-No firearms are permitted on grounds at any time." Is this legal?? I realize that it is his property and he has the right to say what comes on it, but doesn't allowing no firearms infringe on the 2nd amendment rights of the person who is staying there? I know laws in some states (can't remember if NC has this) say that a landlord cannot ban firearms from coming into the apartment you're renting....this is kinda like the same thing. It just makes no sense to me why a law abiding citizen can be told he can't carry a gun in certain areas----in rental cabins, or gun free zones. Is this legal?
    Private property rights allow anyone to set ANY rules for people who access their property for any reason.

If your friend wanted to say that only people who spoke proper English and wore belts on their trousers could rent cabins, they could legally do so.

Personally, I would rent my cabins from somebody else--friend or no--and I would tell them why and send them a copy of my invoice telling them how sad you were that they forced you to take your business elsewhere, when you would MUCH rather have put your hard-earned vacation money into a friend's pockets.

And anyway, you have to wonder what sort of "friend" would deny their business clients the fundamental human right to self defense? Is your friend going to assume ALL responsibility for the safety and security of people staying in these cabins?

Vote with your wallets, folks--even if you have to vote against a "friend"...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 11-21-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Private property rights allow anyone to set ANY rules for people who access their property for any reason.

If your friend wanted to say that only people who spoke proper English and wore belts on their trousers could rent cabins, they could legally do so.

Personally, I would rent my cabins from somebody else--friend or no--and I would tell them why and send them a copy of my invoice telling them how sad you were that they forced you to take your business elsewhere, when you would MUCH rather have put your hard-earned vacation money into a friend's pockets.

And anyway, you have to wonder what sort of "friend" would deny their business clients the fundamental human right to self defense? Is your friend going to assume ALL responsibility for the safety and security of people staying in these cabins?

Vote with your wallets, folks--even if you have to vote against a "friend"...

+1
    Have you tried discussing it with him? My bestfriend for many years was getting married recently, and he knows I carry, but his now wife, although not anti gun, doesnt want guns in the house. Well, I respected her request, and one night while responsibly enjoying some adult beverages I brought it up to her. My buddy and I educated and reasoned with her, and from that time on, she has no problem with me carrying at their place, and has even gone to the range with her husband and I.

Sugar goes farther than vinegar or however that saying goes!

Tim Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
    Sugar goes farther than vinegar or however that saying goes!
    You can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

I know in Washington they would not be able to restrict firearms. As long as you're paying it's considered your "place of abode". Even staying in a hotel for a night. You should really check out your states codes to see if you have something like this also.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by Smith45acp View Post
    You can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.
    I thought it was, "You can catch more flies with sugar than with sh*t!"
    "I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." - Ted Nugent

I would remind your friend that if you or someone in your family were to get hurt when the shtf, you would hold him responsible since he wont allow you to protect yourself. I would make that very clear, then tell him,unless he rewrites his rules,you will spend your money elswhere.

Not exactly

"Private property rights allow anyone to set ANY rules for people who access their property for any reason."

Not exactly. Private property can be publicly accessed property. For instance his "No pets allowed" sign doesn't trump my service animal, whether he likes it or not. I had an arab at the beach tell me in borken English that I couldn't bring my service animal to his motel. It cost him $25,000. The lawyer got 24%.

"We don't serve colored" sign at a bar will get them shut down and his liquor license revoked, even tho' it is private property.

"Private property" any rules might apply so long as it is actually private. If it is privately owned property open to the public, the rules are a little different.

For instance, if he had "no guns allowed" on the front door of his home, he could do anything he wanted within the law. But his cabins are rented to the public, and and once you pay your money, you are technically a tenant.
    I'd suspect he could tell you to leave if he saw your piece and he'd be within his rights.