• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rental cabins won't allow guns on property?

NCtrueconservative

Im here in northwestern NC, and my friend owns some rental cabins. I don't want to say who or what the name of the cabins are, but I was reading on the policies section of his website that "-No firearms are permitted on grounds at any time." Is this legal?? I realize that it is his property and he has the right to say what comes on it, but doesn't allowing no firearms infringe on the 2nd amendment rights of the person who is staying there? I know laws in some states (can't remember if NC has this) say that a landlord cannot ban firearms from coming into the apartment you're renting....this is kinda like the same thing. It just makes no sense to me why a law abiding citizen can be told he can't carry a gun in certain areas----in rental cabins, or gun free zones. Is this legal?

Dreamer

Im here in northwestern NC, and my friend owns some rental cabins. I don't want to say who or what the name of the cabins are, but I was reading on the policies section of his website that "-No firearms are permitted on grounds at any time." Is this legal?? I realize that it is his property and he has the right to say what comes on it, but doesn't allowing no firearms infringe on the 2nd amendment rights of the person who is staying there? I know laws in some states (can't remember if NC has this) say that a landlord cannot ban firearms from coming into the apartment you're renting....this is kinda like the same thing. It just makes no sense to me why a law abiding citizen can be told he can't carry a gun in certain areas----in rental cabins, or gun free zones. Is this legal?

Private property rights allow anyone to set ANY rules for people who access their property for any reason.

If your friend wanted to say that only people who spoke proper English and wore belts on their trousers could rent cabins, they could legally do so.

Personally, I would rent my cabins from somebody else--friend or no--and I would tell them why and send them a copy of my invoice telling them how sad you were that they forced you to take your business elsewhere, when you would MUCH rather have put your hard-earned vacation money into a friend's pockets.

And anyway, you have to wonder what sort of "friend" would deny their business clients the fundamental human right to self defense? Is your friend going to assume ALL responsibility for the safety and security of people staying in these cabins?

Vote with your wallets, folks--even if you have to vote against a "friend"...

Last edited:

tim12232

Private property rights allow anyone to set ANY rules for people who access their property for any reason.

If your friend wanted to say that only people who spoke proper English and wore belts on their trousers could rent cabins, they could legally do so.

Personally, I would rent my cabins from somebody else--friend or no--and I would tell them why and send them a copy of my invoice telling them how sad you were that they forced you to take your business elsewhere, when you would MUCH rather have put your hard-earned vacation money into a friend's pockets.

And anyway, you have to wonder what sort of "friend" would deny their business clients the fundamental human right to self defense? Is your friend going to assume ALL responsibility for the safety and security of people staying in these cabins?

Vote with your wallets, folks--even if you have to vote against a "friend"...

+1
Have you tried discussing it with him? My bestfriend for many years was getting married recently, and he knows I carry, but his now wife, although not anti gun, doesnt want guns in the house. Well, I respected her request, and one night while responsibly enjoying some adult beverages I brought it up to her. My buddy and I educated and reasoned with her, and from that time on, she has no problem with me carrying at their place, and has even gone to the range with her husband and I. :banana::monkey

Sugar goes farther than vinegar or however that saying goes!

Tim Good Luck!

tombrewster421

I know in Washington they would not be able to restrict firearms. As long as you're paying it's considered your "place of abode". Even staying in a hotel for a night. You should really check out your states codes to see if you have something like this also.

nobama

I would remind your friend that if you or someone in your family were to get hurt when the shtf, you would hold him responsible since he wont allow you to protect yourself. I would make that very clear, then tell him,unless he rewrites his rules,you will spend your money elswhere.

Jones

Not exactly

"Private property rights allow anyone to set ANY rules for people who access their property for any reason."

Not exactly. Private property can be publicly accessed property. For instance his "No pets allowed" sign doesn't trump my service animal, whether he likes it or not. I had an arab at the beach tell me in borken English that I couldn't bring my service animal to his motel. It cost him $25,000. The lawyer got 24%.

"We don't serve colored" sign at a bar will get them shut down and his liquor license revoked, even tho' it is private property.

"Private property" any rules might apply so long as it is actually private. If it is privately owned property open to the public, the rules are a little different.

For instance, if he had "no guns allowed" on the front door of his home, he could do anything he wanted within the law. But his cabins are rented to the public, and and once you pay your money, you are technically a tenant.
I'd suspect he could tell you to leave if he saw your piece and he'd be within his rights.