Thread: Coming to VA from NC

Coming to VA from NC

hey guys me and dad are taking a fishing trip to VA for a few days after thanksgiving. and i was wondering about the open carry laws in VA and on boats there?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Why dont you read thru the VA forum a bit and then ask specific questions. Basically you OC in VA at 18 or over, no permit required and a few places are off limits.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

To follow up on Ed's suggestion - tell us where your boat is going to be (and don't you dare say "On the water"!) so we can help you navigate the differences in rules based on which agency has jurisdiction.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I'm sorry for not looking more closely. However, we will be on the James river near Hopewell.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior Lee Campbell View Post
    I'm sorry for not looking more closely. However, we will be on the James river near Hopewell.
    You'll be fine there Junior!
    Va law is much the same as NC except we don't have that annoying "To the terror of the Public" statute.

Stay out of Court Houses and School Property.

I apologize for Ed. He's from up north. If you'd been from Mary Land he'd have sent you an Ed's OC rule card and a box of ED's Edible Chocolates. He ain't got good manners

Look here:
    http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/VCDL_Carry_Card.pdf

Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself
    Open carry is legal in Virginia in most places with or without a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). Concealed carry requires, with a few exceptions, a CHP. However, other restrictions may apply. See reverse. Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. PO Box 513 • Newington, VA 22122 804-639-0600 • 703-372-3285 757-271-3705 • 540-446-5783 Join us! Go to: vcdl.orgJuly

Places where carry is prohibited in Virginia NOTE: In most locations where concealed carry (CC) is prohibited, open carry (OC) is also prohibited.• Federal facilities (buildings) (18 USC 930)• Many federal agency lands (various federal regs, e.g., USPS, but not National Parks) • National Forests: OC prohibited except where hunting is allowed (4VAC15-40-60)• General Assembly Buildings except for CHP holders (Joint Rules Committee rule)• Hog Island Wildlife Management Area (4VAC15-40-120)• Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)• George Mason University buildings (8VAC35-60-20)• Courthouses (18.2-283.1)• Detention Facilities (15.2-915)• K-12 school grounds (CHP holders exempted for CC whilein a vehicle; handgun secured in a container or compartment in a vehicle also exempted.) (18.2-308.1)• K-12 school buses. (18.2-308.1)• Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions(18.2-308.1)• Air carrier airport terminal buildings (18.2-287.01)• Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (18.2-283)• Restaurants & clubs: CC prohibited while consuming alcoholic beverages(18.2-308.J3)• Private property when prohibited by owner (18.2-308.O & trespass violation)

Folks from our sister state are always welcome here...
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-22-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    If you'd been from Mary Land he'd have sent you an Ed's OC rule card and a box of ED's Edible Chocolates. He ain't got good manners
    As opposed to the inedible kind?
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    As opposed to the inedible kind?
    Kinda like last years Fruit Cake I guess
    Some of those Little Mary's will eat stuff that'll make a Billy Goat puke.
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-22-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Funny thing, I always thought of North Carolina as "New South Maryland".
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Cool

I've generally felt quite the opposite... except for Raleigh.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Judging by the stream of Md Cars that go past me on 360, headed South, you may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Judging by the stream of Md Cars that go past me on 360, headed South, you may be right.
    Hey Peter come over here and hang out a while. One main artery and at times the tags from NY, Conn, NJ, Mass, etc. out number VA by at least 2 to 1. Can we move the berlin wall to the MD VA line?

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    +1

I'd bet that a potential source of the OP's query is that in the PRNC (People's Republic of North Carolina), it is verboten to have a loaded firearm at a boat ramp.