• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to VA from NC

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
To follow up on Ed's suggestion - tell us where your boat is going to be (and don't you dare say "On the water"!) so we can help you navigate the differences in rules based on which agency has jurisdiction.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm sorry for not looking more closely. However, we will be on the James river near Hopewell.

You'll be fine there Junior!
Va law is much the same as NC except we don't have that annoying "To the terror of the Public" statute.

Stay out of Court Houses and School Property.

I apologize for Ed. He's from up north. If you'd been from Mary Land he'd have sent you an Ed's OC rule card and a box of ED's Edible Chocolates. He ain't got good manners:lol:

Look here:
http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/VCDL_Carry_Card.pdf

Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself
Open carry is legal in Virginia in most places with or without a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). Concealed carry requires, with a few exceptions, a CHP. However, other restrictions may apply. See reverse. Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. PO Box 513 • Newington, VA 22122 804-639-0600 • 703-372-3285 757-271-3705 • 540-446-5783 Join us! Go to: vcdl.orgJuly

Places where carry is prohibited in Virginia NOTE: In most locations where concealed carry (CC) is prohibited, open carry (OC) is also prohibited.• Federal facilities (buildings) (18 USC 930)• Many federal agency lands (various federal regs, e.g., USPS, but not National Parks) • National Forests: OC prohibited except where hunting is allowed (4VAC15-40-60)• General Assembly Buildings except for CHP holders (Joint Rules Committee rule)• Hog Island Wildlife Management Area (4VAC15-40-120)• Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)• George Mason University buildings (8VAC35-60-20)• Courthouses (§18.2-283.1)• Detention Facilities (§15.2-915)• K-12 school grounds (CHP holders exempted for CC whilein a vehicle; handgun secured in a container or compartment in a vehicle also exempted.) (§18.2-308.1)• K-12 school buses. (§18.2-308.1)• Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions(§18.2-308.1)• Air carrier airport terminal buildings (§18.2-287.01)• Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (§18.2-283)• Restaurants & clubs: CC prohibited while consuming alcoholic beverages(§18.2-308.J3)• Private property when prohibited by owner (§18.2-308.O & trespass violation)

Folks from our sister state are always welcome here...:dude:

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Judging by the stream of Md Cars that go past me on 360, headed South, you may be right.
Hey Peter come over here and hang out a while. One main artery and at times the tags from NY, Conn, NJ, Mass, etc. out number VA by at least 2 to 1. Can we move the berlin wall to the MD VA line?:banghead:

doug23838

Funny thing, I always thought of North Carolina as "New South Maryland".

+1

I'd bet that a potential source of the OP's query is that in the PRNC (People's Republic of North Carolina), it is verboten to have a loaded firearm at a boat ramp.