• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charlotte/Greensboro: Navy sailor with CC Questions.

KainVictus

I'm a 28 year old military member who wants to get a concealed carry permit while home on leave. I will be coming home from december 1st until the 13th I will be in charlotte (Actually huntersville but very close) from the 1st through the 6th and in Greensboro (Actually oak ridge but same thing) from the 6th until the 13th with my fiance spending time with our families. Both of us are military members and I would like to get my concealed carry permit. As I have been told I still have to take the "concealed carry" class even though I am weapons trained by the DoD and Navy. I am ok with that even though I am sure I will be bored the entire time because of so much repeated information. (I can only assume I will have to re-learn the conditions of a firearm, the use of deadly force, definition of deadly force the deadly force triangle, and what I have to do before I can use my weapon in the event I should have to use it) all that jazz. My questions are:

A: How long will this process take?
B: What do I need to do exactly to start this process?
C: Where can/should I take this class?
D: How much money should I plan on spending on this?

KainVictus

Please keep in mind I have read the information on the 90 dollars I will need I just want to make sure that's the only amount I will be spending on getting this permit. Thanks in advance for any replies.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
You will take the class (separate fee) and then submit all of your paperwork to your county sheriff. Pay the license fee and wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

The concealed carry course is primarily to teach NC law; it is not intended to teach shooting. You are supposed to know that already. That is why the qualification part seems so pathetic. Please do not assume you will be bored and that no new jazz will be put out.

You will first pay for the class to get the required certificate. Prices vary widely, $40-100. Check to make sure one is given during the time you have. A dealer in either area could point you to someone who teaches the course. Perhaps someone on the forum could make a recommendation. There are several folks from both areas over on NCgunowners.com.

The $90 to the sheriff does not (improperly) include the $12 you will be billed by mail for checking to make sure you are not mentally defective (Sorry, but I can't help this: You're USN, so you could be in trouble....:lol:).
Then, it takes up to 90 days (45 after 1 Dec 2011 according to HB650) to get the permit. I understand CLT area takes every second of the allotted time; issue is in person, not mail. Be sure to laminate it.

If you are stationed out of state (and not deployed) have you considered a non-res permit?

Good luck, and thanks for your service

ncwabbit

welcome home

nah, i do not think you will be bored in the 8+ hour classroom time plus range time the chp class takes. during that time you will will refresh your knowledge of hand guns from safety, handling, etc.

in keeping w/the state's wishes, at least 2+ hours will be taken discussing the NC laws on deadly force as it concerns conceal carry. then a written exam and finally off to the range where you must shoot at three different distances for a score. then youre issued a certificate of completion...congradulations!!

piece of cake and off you toddle to the sheriff's office to turn in the appropriate paperwork... as each of NC's 100 sheriffs have different paperwork needed so you should be able to find specific paperwork criteria on your country sheriffs website. submit it and wait.

now i shall presume you possess a NC DL or state issued ID?

is your fiance going to take the class w/you?

Finally thank you both for your service to our country and hope the holiday(s) are spent w/family, friends, and loved ones.

wabbit

KainVictus

If you are stationed out of state (and not deployed) have you considered a non-res permit?

Good luck, and thanks for your service

Sadly I'm stationed in MD Which for all of you who do not know doesn't even allow OPEN carry and it takes an act of god and creates a large and bloody anus to get a CC license here.

KainVictus

nah, i do not think you will be bored in the 8+ hour classroom time plus range time the chp class takes. during that time you will will refresh your knowledge of hand guns from safety, handling, etc.

in keeping w/the state's wishes, at least 2+ hours will be taken discussing the NC laws on deadly force as it concerns conceal carry. then a written exam and finally off to the range where you must shoot at three different distances for a score. then youre issued a certificate of completion...congradulations!!

piece of cake and off you toddle to the sheriff's office to turn in the appropriate paperwork... as each of NC's 100 sheriffs have different paperwork needed so you should be able to find specific paperwork criteria on your country sheriffs website. submit it and wait.

now i shall presume you possess a NC DL or state issued ID?

is your fiance going to take the class w/you?

Finally thank you both for your service to our country and hope the holiday(s) are spent w/family, friends, and loved ones.

wabbit

Thank you for the information. The problem with the class is My job is Air traffic controller but my TAD (Temporary Assigned Duty) Once every three months for two weeks is to carry a pistol, shotgun, or/and and M4 on a daily basis for base police. Not only do I know the governments laws on Deadly force but I do indeed know the laws for NC and deadly force. I can spout it off while disassembling a gun (My PX4 Storm especially) and tell you about the deadly force triangle. I know the conditions of a pistol a shotgun and an automatic rifle and I'm an expert marksman for the military which may not seem hard for the navy but it requires some skill. The class will be great for the paperwork but as far as the class goes I feel worried for my boredom lol. I will enjoy it as best I can and thank you all for not hating on military. BTW I do have an NC drivers license and no Samantha (My fiance) will not be taking it with me. She is an MA (Master at Arms) and carries a gun EVERY day of her life. She shoots better than I do and doesn't want to carry a gun on her off time.

aosailor

Thank you for the information. The problem with the class is My job is Air traffic controller but my TAD (Temporary Assigned Duty) Once every three months for two weeks is to carry a pistol, shotgun, or/and and M4 on a daily basis for base police. Not only do I know the governments laws on Deadly force but I do indeed know the laws for NC and deadly force. I can spout it off while disassembling a gun (My PX4 Storm especially) and tell you about the deadly force triangle. I know the conditions of a pistol a shotgun and an automatic rifle and I'm an expert marksman for the military which may not seem hard for the navy but it requires some skill. The class will be great for the paperwork but as far as the class goes I feel worried for my boredom lol. I will enjoy it as best I can and thank you all for not hating on military. BTW I do have an NC drivers license and no Samantha (My fiance) will not be taking it with me. She is an MA (Master at Arms) and carries a gun EVERY day of her life. She shoots better than I do and doesn't want to carry a gun on her off time.

I was in the same boat as you when I took my CC class. It's a means to an end. find the cheapest class you can and knock it out. Its just 8hrs, you've probably had watches that were longer. Besides, the movies are quite entertaining.

Oh and tell Samantha that when it comes to her safety and well-being, there is no such thing as "off time" Good luck Shipmate

ncwabbit

nc chp video is...

no longer to be shown effective 1 december. (thankgoodness as it sucked) the NC DOJ is advertising maybe an updated video sometime mid 2012 at earliest...

wabbit

spiderjohn

I'm a 28 year old military member who wants to get a concealed carry permit while home on leave. I will be coming home from december 1st until the 13th I will be in charlotte (Actually huntersville but very close) from the 1st through the 6th and in Greensboro (Actually oak ridge but same thing) from the 6th until the 13th with my fiance spending time with our families. Both of us are military members and I would like to get my concealed carry permit. As I have been told I still have to take the "concealed carry" class even though I am weapons trained by the DoD and Navy. I am ok with that even though I am sure I will be bored the entire time because of so much repeated information. (I can only assume I will have to re-learn the conditions of a firearm, the use of deadly force, definition of deadly force the deadly force triangle, and what I have to do before I can use my weapon in the event I should have to use it) all that jazz. My questions are:

A: How long will this process take?
B: What do I need to do exactly to start this process?
C: Where can/should I take this class?
D: How much money should I plan on spending on this?

Why not save yourself and all that jazz and just open carry? Welcome to the open carry forum.

Last edited:

WTFOVER

Why not save yourself and all that jazz and just open carry? Welcome to the open carry forum.

Maybe he would like to carry in other states which he would be allowed to do once he gets his CCH permit. Over 30 to be exact.