• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idiocy on parade at the News and Observer

Badger Johnson

It sounds like a monkey with a book of bad cliches did that column.

Of course, gun lovers and fanatics brook no dissent when it comes to protecting their right to bear arms. Over the years, even the most common-sense proposed legislation to regulate guns has been met with yelps of protest.
'Brook no dissent'?

Gun lovers and fanatics?

Yelps of protest?

It's got no logic, just bad analogies and wrong comparisons and is plain hard to read. There can be no real dissent about a constitutional right. If you don't like it move to England, buddy.

bc.cruiser

I would guess from an opening phrase like this, "In a perceptive column ", Mr. Saunders must get pretty dizzy trying to turn around fast enough to kiss himself someplace other than on the backside.

ncwabbit

Huh?

what in the world did this gentleman say in that rambling column? I'm confused to say the least...

shall we invite him out shooting and expose him to the different classifications of firearms and let him actually fire a gun(s)?

btw, i am serious about the invite if a couple of us could coax him from his ivory tower...anybody wish to join the event?

wabbit

KainVictus

So I e-mailed mr. Barry

And this is what I said. No reply as of yet.

Hi barry,

I'm a 28 year old North Carolina raised gun carrying citizens. Now if that for any reason forces you to read the rest of this e-mail with the voice of Joebob bubba mcgreason, or t-dawg from the streetz well. . .that has nothing to do with me.

I'm e-mailing you to voice my concern for your opinions. Before I continue let me tell you that I am not what you seem to suggest is your opinion of all gun carrying people to be. I don’t consider myself ignorant; in fact I am well educated and have what I consider a modest IQ of 133. I am not your typical “good ‘ol boy” accent since I’ve joined the military it’s been lost to me and I don’t jerk my knob to the latest issue of guns and ammo. I am also not a “thug” carrying guns to and from my “crib” to invoke fear from common non gun carrying people. In fact I carry a gun for two reasons . . . 1: well let’s be honest it’s because I can. I, like most of the people who carry weapons, do so because the 2nd amendment of the constitution of the United States of America says, in my own words mind you, sure you can do that. And 2: Because I like to know that as a citizen of this great country I can defend myself SHOULD the need arise. I hope that doesn’t happen but I like to know I’m covered if it does. Not all of us are idiots who will just go off shooting a gun at any random passerby or even robbing the helpless because we have a gun and they don't. No we carry them because our laws say we can and we want to defend ourselves. Take a poll and find out.

I should take the time to say that my opinion is not that of the United States Navy, Department of Defense, or the Government as a whole. That being said I think you should open your mind a little more to the people that carry guns around with them. First off I do not plan on coming home to get a concealed carry permit for the sole purpose of “shooting the umpire” at a game. In fact I’m confident that anyone who has done a concealed carry permit course and passed and been given the permit is a pretty level headed person. Even though the United States Government and Navy and DOD all agree that I am fit to carry a weapon I will be coming home to take the concealed carry course myself. What I can’t help but wonder is this: Will you consider me a danger and threat to society as a whole for carrying a weapon? Please feel free to e-mail me back ASAP if my “assumption” of your opinion on us is wrong but according to that particular article that’s what I perceive it to be. And according to my Military perception is reality.

Thanks for reading

Todd M. Genopolos

USN Air Traffic Control

P.S. That’s not a job any idiot can get.

hermannr

I also sent Mr. Saunders and email. I did not ask for, or do I expect, a response, but this is my prespective:

Hej Mr. Saunders!

You have an interesting perspective. Maybe you might want to consider where I live. (the State of Washington) Since the current law regarding concealed firearms passed in 1961, here in WA we can carry in any park in the state...the locals cannot do anything about it. We can, and do, carry into the state capitol buildings and any city/county council chamber when it is in session. Totally and completely legal. We can carry (with a CPL) into a sports stadium if we wish, and on the state ferry system or a public bus. Because I am not a student, I can even carry on the property of our Universities, and if someone would take the WA university system to court, I am sure the outcome would be the same as it was in Oregon...The Oregon appeals court says, no, Oregon University system, you cannot restrict the legal carry of your students in or on your campus system.

We can do all of this without any special license as long as the weapon is not concealed. If you have a license to conceal (CPL) you can do all of the same with a concealed weapon. Guess what?...Open Carry is in our state constitution (Oregon and Idaho's too) so it is not something the legislature can restrict. And guess what? All of the horrible things you intimate? They don't happen here, never have. I would suggest that maybe you should find a top flight range that rents various weapons, and go do a bit of shooting...who knows you might like it...Most people fear the unknown. Go try shooting and maybe a basic firearms course too then firearms will no longer be an unknown fear for you. Then maybe you can join the majority of the US population that is without that fear.

I have Open Carried, or Conceal Carried (usually in winter, and only because I am wearing a coat) for over 40 years...and guess what? My carry has never just jumped out of it's holster and discharged...ever. Yes, I shot at humans in Vietnam, but only because they were shooting at me. My openly carried pistol has allowed me to go over 40 years without ever having to do the same thing here in the US. The bag guys that might want to mug me, just leave me alone because it is obvious, I refuse to be a victim.

Herman