• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Laws - Visiting

Steeler-gal

I'll be visiting PA over the coming weekend. I'll be in Pittsburgh and the burbs. I grew up in PA but didn't own a firearm. I know that PA is an OC state but I'm wondering if there are places/restrictions where we are not permitted to carry. Any advice appreciated.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
PA is pretty simple. I have carried there many times with no issue.

You may OC anywhere without a permit except for Philly, if you have a CHP from any state that PA recognizes then you can OC in Philly.

You must have a permit from any state to OC in a vehicle.

There is a very short list of places that are 100% off-limits.

Check this link for cites and details.
http://opencarry.org/pa.html

Warning about recorders: PA is a two-party state which means that both parties must agree before any recording takes place.

If you have any specific questions, I can probably help with those as well. My wife and I have been house shopping in PA so I have been doing my research.

SP101

Campaign Veteran
The recording thing does not apply to interactions with police. There is no expectation of privacy in regards to encounters with police, therefore, record away! There have been numerous cases thrown out of court because the cops can not seem to understand the simple fact that they are not immune from being recorded.

Steeler-gal

PA is pretty simple. I have carried there many times with no issue.

You may OC anywhere without a permit except for Philly, if you have a CHP from any state that PA recognizes then you can OC in Philly.

You must have a permit from any state to OC in a vehicle.

There is a very short list of places that are 100% off-limits.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I have my CHP from VA.

Dreamer

Warning about recorders: PA is a two-party state which means that both parties must agree before any recording takes place.

Much like the "wiretapping" laws, the recording laws in PA are SPECIFICALLY written to cover telecommunications, and conversations that occur in PRIVATE, like in your living room behind locked doors and windows.

Dishonest LEOs and DAs have attempted to twist these laws to attempt to cover their assets when citizens catch them on video breaking the law, violating their oaths, or knowingly abusing the Rights of Citizens, but the Courts are pretty clear on this in PA--recording LEO interaction with yourself in pubic places is 100% legal, and you don't need ANYONE else's permission to do it.

So unless the cop calls you on your cell phone to harass you about OC, there is NOTHING legally to stop you from recording the conversation. LEO interactions on public streets or in public places have NO EXPECTATION of privacy, and are therefore NOT covered by "wiretapping" or "eavesdropping" laws...

Record Away, In PA...

SP101

Campaign Veteran
Much like the "wiretapping" laws, the recording laws in PA are SPECIFICALLY written to cover telecommunications, and conversations that occur in PRIVATE, like in your living room behind locked doors and windows.

Dishonest LEOs and DAs have attempted to twist these laws to attempt to cover their assets when citizens catch them on video breaking the law, violating their oaths, or knowingly abusing the Rights of Citizens, but the Courts are pretty clear on this in PA--recording LEO interaction with yourself in pubic places is 100% legal, and you don't need ANYONE else's permission to do it.

So unless the cop calls you on your cell phone to harass you about OC, there is NOTHING legally to stop you from recording the conversation. LEO interactions on public streets or in public places have NO EXPECTATION of privacy, and are therefore NOT covered by "wiretapping" or "eavesdropping" laws...

Record Away, In PA...

See post number 3, above. :)

Curmudgeon

Two threads you might find useful, and probably an easier read than the Uniform Firearms Act...

Read first, where you can cannot carry weapons...

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-op...-cannot-carry-weapons-state-pennsylvania.html

Open carry, what you should know before you do it...

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/59762-open-carry-what-you-should-know-before-you-do.html

You probably already know to be careful with the Federal Gun-Free School Zone Act, and your Virginia CHP will allow you to carry open or concealed, including in a vehicle. Most folks agree that the western end of the state is really one of the more carry-friendly areas. More so than the northeast or Philly.

Enjoy your visit. :cool:

Shawn Bear

so if you do not have a chp and you are visiting and plan to oc how, if oc in a vehicle is illegal do you get your gun into the state?

Curmudgeon

Shawn Bear, Steeler Gal is correct. In PA you may only transport a handgun legally under fairly limited circumstances, and if your circumstances do not fall within the short list of exceptions your transport is prohibited.

Having a Va CHP, or a license/permit from any other state will allow you to come into PA with your handgun for any reason. Here is some of the relevant statute...

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Pay close attention to (8) in the quoted text. If you can transport into PA in compliance with that paragraph then you can OC in PA, but ONLY ON FOOT. Once in PA you still cannot transport in a vehicle without your CHP.

Basically, although we like to talk about OC being legal in PA without a license, it is actually very impractical.

Steeler-gal

What's the deal with "no firearms" or weapons in Boyce Park? After OC walking for over an hour with the dogs I saw a sign with park rules. #8 was no firearms or weapons.

I grew up in Penn Hills and I could swear I remember guys hunting in the woods of Boyce. Maybe my memory's wrong?

knight0334

What's the deal with "no firearms" or weapons in Boyce Park? After OC walking for over an hour with the dogs I saw a sign with park rules. #8 was no firearms or weapons.

I grew up in Penn Hills and I could swear I remember guys hunting in the woods of Boyce. Maybe my memory's wrong?

PA has preemption over municipalities when it comes to gun laws. Those signs could be just old postings that the municipality left up. ...or they could be doing it intentionally in defiance of state law. Either way, they have no lawful authority. Sure, you could get cited and the citation could hold up in the local magistrate's office - but it would never hold up in the higher courts.

lbomb

Visiting from New York

Im going to be going to PA for Christmas weekend and was thinking about bringing a couple handguns. I have a NYS License to Carry (Concealed) with no restrictions. I have concluded that I should be able to possess them in my vehicle. My only uncertainty is the legality of taking the handgun/handguns out of my vehicle to do some target shooting on my relatives private property. I appreciate any and all input.

Curmudgeon

Im going to be going to PA for Christmas weekend and was thinking about bringing a couple handguns. I have a NYS License to Carry (Concealed) with no restrictions. I have concluded that I should be able to possess them in my vehicle. My only uncertainty is the legality of taking the handgun/handguns out of my vehicle to do some target shooting on my relatives private property. I appreciate any and all input.

You will be fine. Although PA and NY do not have reciprocity, PA still honors your license as shown in the quote in my post above ( specifically (6106)(b)(11) ). Also, the response in post #2 applies to you.

In short, you may carry, loaded, open or concealed, on foot or in a vehicle, anywhere except within the federal 1000' Gun Free school Zones.

Welcome to PA, enjoy your visit.